Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Alex Thomas

“You are not supposed to exist.” The woman snapped at an infant sprawled in her arms. “Why were you born? You were not supposed to be born. You were not supposed to be conceived, as an egg, even as a thought. You were not supposed to be born. It will be the end of both of us, death for you and eternal torture for me. Do you not realize that? You will be viewed as a freak! Deathly intellect and flagrant thought, you will be more clever than people tenfold your age. You are not supposed to exist!”

The infant yawned in response. Her gums were toothless with youth. Wrinkles of pallid pink skin piled up on the baby. Her eyelids had drooped concealing the aquatic swirl of emerald and turquoise irises beneath pale soft flesh and flame-colored lashes. The same tangerine-scarlet color tufted as hair upon her head. Ten days after birth and the infant cried not a shriek or a wail, not even during birth did the infant bawl. Before the babe’s strange fit of laughter the previous day, the woman thought the child mute.

“Why can you not be ugly? To kill you would be much easier if you were homely. How I wish you were plain! You will grow up to be so beautiful.” Tenderly, she stroked a downy cheek on the baby’s face. “To grow up, I will never see you grown. You must die. You are fit to live as the people of one city used to deem, but yet, you are not allowed to live. It is forbidden. Why have you made this so difficult? Why are you not small and trembling and weak?” She paused and straightened the child, imagining her older.

“I should like to see you grown. I am sure that you will not be tall or portly, nor refined or delicate. Stop tormenting me as such!” She placed the girl on the floor, the stone floor where it was frigid and unsafe, where she may on accident crush the girl beneath her foot or purposefully. “No, I cannot bear it. Why do you do this to me?”

Weakly, the infant barely raised its arms, begging to return to the warmth of her mother, though it was a late summer month and the woman herself was quite warm.

The woman snuggled the child into her shoulder unable to watch it struggle. Tears leaked from her eyes. “Why must I kill my own child? It is not fair! I would not have been born had such a rule been previously applied! Why now? Why to me? No one can know of your existence!” She screamed at the infant who paid her no heed, merely drooling on her mother’s dress. “I want to see you grown. Oh, you will be radiant and clever and delightful. Why am I not allowed to see you grow? Why are you not allowed to grow?” She kissed her forehead delicately, cradling her with an apologetic stare.

“Perhaps, it does not have to be this way. Your father is not forbidden to raise you. If you never find me, then no one shall ever know of your birth!” Her face dropped. “I would never see you grow. I would never help those feet take their first steps.” Wistfully, she cupped the infant’s toes in her hand. “I would never see you smile with full teeth. I would never see you again. It should be better to protect you than to murder you. Either way, I will suffer, but you might live. I love you so. Never forget that.” Two rivers flowed down her cheeks; her light eyes the source of the running water.

“My sweet beautiful girl, I never wanted a child, you know. That is until I saw you. This is your fault. How could you stare at me so adoringly already? How could smile toothlessly only to force me to smile back at you though I must end you? It is my greed that keeps you clung to my shoulder. Had I been wise, I would’ve squeezed the gentle life from you before I even saw you. I love you.” Her voice cracked with sadness.

The woman’s tears turned into sobs, loud hysterical sobs. She had needed to be alone, nearly a year of solitude to hide her pregnancy. And now her only conversation was the soft breath of her daughter, her daughter that she was forbidden to have, and would be ordered to kill if they were found. “I must decide what to do with you soon. It would tear open Eric’s heart to see me again; mine as well. Your father is the first man that I’ve ever loved, even made love to. To think of virginity at my age, it is laughable.”

She stopped her chatter. With a strong calming voice, she sang. It was in her native tongue, not of the current country where she resided; the song awed the baby and soothed the mother. “I cannot relinquish you to the care of another, even if he would be such a lovely father. I want to raise you, to teach you, to pacify you. Oh, it is so unjust!”

“I know you are in there.” A woman entered the small house. “You thought no one would find you?” Her light hair was intricately woven into a beautiful knot, so unlike the tangled mess of dark curls on the other woman’s head. Her scent smelled of fresh flowers, but the sweet poignant smell of flowers that one would bring to a funeral.

“Kore, what do you here? No one else- Father- no one may know of this! How do you…why are you here?” She clutched onto the child tighter than before afraid to lose it.

“Calm yourself, sister. When you know of life and death as I do, I knew you had given birth. You know that you simply cannot hope to save it…”

She corrected her, “Her. She is a girl. I have not named her, nor do I plan to.”

“Good, the less attached you are, the better. Now, how do you plan to kill her?” The shorter of the two women asked. Her melodic voice sounded corrosive and bitter.

Kill. The word tasted like bile on the woman’s lips. She clung tighter to her child. “I have not thought it. Would it be selfish to bring her to her father so she may live?”

“Yes, you know what you must do. It would be worse to watch her die later on when she is grown with a father that loves her and friends that would miss her.”

The woman wiped at her eyes while the baby wriggled in her arms. “She is so lovely.” She stroked the soft wisps of hair tenderly and kissed her forehead.

The girl squealed in delight, a sharp piercing giggle of a noise. Then she gurgled.

“Must I do it?” The other woman snapped, tearing the girl from her mother.

For the first time, the baby cried in the other woman’s disgusted grip.

“Let go of her! Let go! Give her to me!” She reached out. “I will do it if I must. Please. Do not. Might I be alone though? To murder, it is a damnable thing and if it must be done, I cannot have your eyes upon me, sister.” When the child was once again in her arms, its cries stopped. The woman set it on the cold stone table in the center of the room.

As her sister backed into the doorway slowly, her eyes watched her sister suspiciously. When the woman pulled out a dagger, she could look no longer.

“I love you. Never forget how much I love you.” She held the dagger above her daughter. “My brother made this for me. Isn’t it magnificent?” Her voice was cold. “I hoped it could be in your possession one day.” Her eyes were damp with tears.

The dagger was not a straight blade, but expertly rutted back and forth like a tide. The hilt was thick soft leather capped with a simple black stone glinting in the sunset.

“It should not be this way. It should not be this way.” The woman grimaced. Bringing the dagger closer to the girl’s chest, she stared into her daughter’s eyes. “Such beautiful eyes…” She mused remorsefully. “It should not be this way,” She repeated.

The baby seemed to understand, but did not cry. She closed her eyes placidly, lowering and unclenching her chubby little fists into small delicate hands.

The woman raised the dagger back above, whether this gesture was to provide more force or retreat from her actions was unknown. “I love you,” She said yet again, thrusting the dagger swiftly toward the stone table.



© 2011 Alex Thomas


Author's Note

Alex Thomas
I'm not crazy about this prologue, but it'll do. Thanks for reading and drop a comment if you're interested.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I don't really know how to comment on this other than: poor mom. Good chapter.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

396 Views
1 Review
Added on July 11, 2011
Last Updated on July 14, 2011


Author

Alex Thomas
Alex Thomas

Boston, MA



About
I don't get on here much anymore. Here you can view my poetry, several short stories, some of my older work, and the beginnings of my second completed novel, Sleepwalker. To read the full novel and i.. more..

Writing