Chapter Thirteen: Varick Varian and The Valiant Villains

Chapter Thirteen: Varick Varian and The Valiant Villains

A Chapter by Alex Thomas

The hands took a rough cloth and tied it into my mouth; the taste was of perspiration. The cloth soaked all of the moisture from my mouth. It caught strands of my hair while he secured it, ripping them out of my head. He tightened coarse rope around my wrists, which he held behind my back. He yanked me off from the tree by my arm.

“Blindfold her too,” A man with a thick black beard suggested. His voice was rough like gravel. He tossed a dark rag to the man holding onto me.

In a gesture that twisted my stomach, he winked at me before eliminating my sight. “Alright, you got the lad contained? I’ve got the girl all ready.”

Another voice replied, “Yeah, I got him, but I need some answers.” After a groan from presumably Dill, he asked, “What’s your name, kid?” He snarled.

“Fuh…Fur…Ferdinand A…Al…Alexander. Ferdinand Alexander,” He stuttered over a pseudonym. He grunted again after a soft thumping sound.

The man chuckled, “Let’s have your real name, boy before I sock you again.”

“Felix Arthur. Nice to meet you,” He said, unhesitant and unfazed by the blow.

The man shook me. “What’s your name, lass?” When I didn’t react on Dill’s orders, he grunted, “Right, the gag.” After releasing it, he snarled, “I asked your name!”

Dill intruded, “If I might interrupt, she doesn’t speak Caligerian. She’s from Lieuvenir. She speaks no language, but Lieuvi. I should know; I am her tutor.”

“A tutor huh? So, is she a rich girl?” His voice picked up, interestedly.

With those words, I felt a cool metal blade on my throat. It did not take me long to realize that if I wasn’t a rich girl then I wasn’t worth keeping alive. My heart drummed.

Dill laughed, staged and unnatural from what I’d heard of his chuckle. “Is she wealthy? Her uncle is the Duke of Chesse, the richest county in Lieuvenir.”

The blade lowered a bit, but I could still feel its presence. I swallowed loudly.

“Is she close with this uncle of hers?” Greed was clear in his slimy voice.

Dill’s voice became a whisper, “Allow me to put it this way. Her parents died when she was young in a carriage accident and she has been in her uncle’s care since.”

“So why is she dressed so simply without shoes?” One of them asked. “And why are you both in Caligeria?” He asked suspiciously. His voice was closer. “Pretty thing.”

“Sir, I found two pairs of boots, a pouch of coins, a dagger, and a pocket watch in the cases, I also found two books, some preserved meats, more coins, and arrowheads.”

“Good, bring the boots over here and pack the rest. And I asked you a question. What are you doing in Caligeria if she does not know the language and she’s so rich?”

I gritted my teeth together at the thought of thieves having my father’s watch and also my dagger from William. It was a task to keep my expression flat. I felt a weight on my thigh, a rough hand caressing me. I nearly vomited as his words rang in my ears.

“In addition to being her tutor, I am also her lover. When her uncle told her that she was to marry another, she suggested to me that we run away to my home, Caligeria.”

Most of them laughed at the thought, but whoever removed his hand from my leg.

 “You…her lover…you wish.” One scoffed him. “Does she have the ginger between her legs?” The one holding me chortled. “Is she good, lover boy?” He mocked.

If my hands had not been bound and I had not been pretending not understand, I would’ve slapped him. By now, it hurt to keep my face straight and unaware of their conversation. My wrists were chaffed with my small struggle.

“I am not one to wish to prove myself to a band of crooks, but yes, she does. Anyone might’ve guessed that. If you truly do not believe me, you can check for a large brown freckle high up, on her left thigh, it will be easy enough to see,” he attested.

The coolness of the dawn as they lifted my skirts chilled my legs with the breeze.

At this, I could not help thrashing about. Even someone who didn’t speak Caligerian would have the sense to put up a fuss when someone lifted her dress.

“Well, the boy doesn’t lie. Why are you so willingly giving us your consent if you are enamored with the girl?” He asked warily. “Don’t lie to me, boy.”

“Her uncle would give just about anything to get her back. Now, he would not accuse me of kidnapping her because he trusts me. Simply, I want a cut of the ransom.”

Another laugh, “I like your style, Felix. So what is her name?”

“Natalie Bonaparte,” He sighed wistfully. “Beautiful, is it not? Like she was named by all of the powers in the universe.” His voice took off in some babbling noise.

I giggled, thinking it appropriate as he spoke what he called Lieuvi. I was very impressed with his ability to forge a story so quickly; my only wish was to have played a part other than the wealthy Lieuvenirian orphan. Furrowing my brow, I reasoned why he did not want me to speak, maybe he did not want to have conflicting stories or let my emotions get the better of me as it already had. I did not act on it due to my bindings.

“Young love, kill me now. Er, Varick, what did you want with these boots?”

“We’ve got a long walk to Dunver tonight, don’t we? It’d be a shame to ruin those soft little feet of hers. Untie Mr. Arthur and take off her blindfold.” A man with a smooth voice ordered. His tone held authority, the leader. Varick, I assumed.

Once one of the men removed my blindfold, light flooded my eyes. I blinked hard several times trying to adjust them. I wriggled my arms, accounting for each person there.

There was the one with the dark beard displaying his hulking frame without a shirt. He grinned at me lustfully. “I have always liked light eyes. I like them short too.”

“And I have never cared for sharing,” Dill growled at him, sending an apologetic look to me. “I am sure she does not care for that stare. She was raised as a lady, however rogue she has gone for me.” He looked to me and gargled as if translating.

My nod satisfied him. Then I chattered back to him, gesturing toward them with a c**k of my head. When no one looked, I mouthed, a bit panicky, ‘Who are they?’

Dill nodded, “Ah, yes, Natalie would like a proper introduction.”

“Well, we are Varick Varian and the Valiant Villains, a band of thieves based out of Dunver. I, sweet lady, am Sir Varick Varian, lover of hunting and alliteration.” He brushed my hair back behind my ear. His hair was an ashy blonde and it fell in waves past his shoulders. His eyes were a piercing amber color as he stared at me. “She’s fair.” He grinned at me with blackened teeth, the ones that were still there anyway.

After Armadillo pretended to translate, the bald one with the thick beard acquainted himself to me simply, “Ace.” Once I nodded, he shuffled elsewhere.

The next one was quite quiet. His eyes held a hint of remorse as he softly whispered, “Tristan.” He seemed to be young too, my age, maybe younger.

The one who tied me gave me a broad white smile stretching across his entire unshaven face. His hair was sheared so low; it was hard to distinguish a color. “Lister.”

The next figure was a tall and hulking man, hardly commonplace among small stealthy thieves. His voice bellowed like a volcano. “Goliath,” He rumbled.

Escape is not going to be easy, I thought nervously. I began to formulate escape plans, as I was sure Dill was doing the same. My wrists ached with rope burn.

“Well, now that we are all acquainted, I am quite tired and I find this to be an excellent place to set camp for the day.” Varick laid down a blanket for himself.

“Day, sir?” Armadillo questioned, retying his bootlaces ready to set off.

“My dear Felix, we’re thieves. We travel at night. You look tired anyway. Rest, boy. You’ll need your strength for tomorrow. A couple of animal smugglers are headed in the same direction, as we are tomorrow evening. My hope is to rob them of all their horses and all of their coins. So, sleep tight, men. And Goliath, do handle little Natalie’s sleeping arrangement. I would hate for her to run off in the middle of the day.”

Pulling out my dagger, Goliath sliced through my restraints. “The craftsmanship is beautiful. I should think we can fetch a nice price on this one.”

My lip curled in anger. Before balling my hands into fists, I rubbed my sore wrists until Goliath found some more rope. Fruitlessly, I struggled against the giant man.

He held my wrists in front of me, tied them together, and had a considerable amount leftover. Searching around the grove of trees that surrounded the clearing, he finally selected a suitable branch to tie my arms over my head with only my toes balancing me on the ground. “Sleep tight,” He sniggered, patting me on my head.

Pleadingly, I watched him hurry to the clearing to sit around with the rest of the Valiant Villains. My shoulders already ached; I seriously wished that it would not dislocate again. Every muscle in my body was tense from standing on my toes and hanging from my arms. The only upside that I found was that I wasn’t sweating since the rain had cooled the forest significantly. Though I was fatigued, there was no chance of sleep as I hung this way. To perhaps make the situation a bit better, I hummed to myself the tune that I desperately hoped my mother had once sung to me as an infant.

“Ah, I forgot. Lister, go gag the girl, I don’t want her screaming.”

Soon enough, Lister approached me with a scrap of cloth in his hands. Tightly, he tied it into my mouth. There was no compassion in his eyes. “Goodnight, Natalie.”

Stripped of even the ability to murmur a song to comfort myself, I glared at him and watched them make merry around the fire they’d built in the early hours of the morning. I squirmed as my body became stiff. A tremble traveled up my legs with frailty.

“So, tell me, Felix, are you in love with the girl?” Ace smirked at him.

Dill held up his index finger. “I…am in love with her body.” He snickered.

Brutishly, they all burst into hysterical laughter, but soon after Varick rushed them all into sleep. It did not take long until they snored and moaned with rest.

For a long while, I studied them enviously. My own eyes closed a few times, but the ache in the rest of my body would not allow my mind to shut down. A rustling noise startled me; someone stirred. My eyes flew open at the sound. My heart lay in my throat.

“Jenny, are you alright?” Dill whispered concernedly. He crept to me and delicately untied the gag. “Here,” He tipped water from my skin into my mouth. “I’m sorry. I can’t reach the branch. I-I had to think of something so that they wouldn’t kill you. It only solves today’s problems though. They are going to be expecting a handsome ransom for you…and there is not one.” He rubbed his chin in thought.

I giggled. It steadied increased into a laugh. “Handsome ransom…it rhymes.”

“Jenny, shush! Do you want them to wake? It was not that funny.” He placed a hand over my mouth to quell my laughter. “Look at the bags under your eyes. It is no wonder you’re laughing like a loon, you have not slept since we left my parents’ house.”

Somehow, this realization sobered me. “So, how are we going to get out of this mess? We cannot just jabber on and hope they do not realize we only speak rubbish.”

“I am working on it. You work on it too. I mean your pretense is easier to keep than mine is.” He rubbed his eyes. His voice sounded wounded, “Your shoulder… I should’ve stopped them from hanging you like this. You’re shaking.” He scooped me up from the back of my knees and bolstered my back with his other hand. “We cannot leave tonight, not without any supplies. I’ve found that Lister is a light sleeper.”

Though my arms still hung awkwardly as Dill held me, it relaxed my tense muscles if only for a moment. “Thank you, Dill. Thank you for this, the water… and mostly saving my life. I would hug you, but I’m a bit tied up at the moment.”

He chortled to himself, a soft breathing sound in my ear. Despite how sweet his gesture, there were dark smudges under his eyes. He yawned quietly into my hair.

“Dill, you need to go to sleep.” I stated, wriggling in his arms. “Put me down. You will need more energy than I will…Felix.” I offered him a dry smile.

Gently, he placed me down. “You are sure you will be alright…Natalie? You should drink more before I put the gag back on. I do not want you to dehydrate.”

“You would not want me to wet myself either. I think I will be fine. Thank you though. Sleep well.” I rolled my neck, trying to soothe my throbbing shoulders. I opened my mouth willingly as Armadillo tightened the cloth.

“Felix? There’ll be plenty of time for that later. Go back to sleep!” Lister called.

Nodding my head, I shooed him. I waved him along with my fingers as well.

“Try to sleep, okay?” He crept back to his own section of the clearing to slumber.

My eyes opened and shut throughout the day. In the afternoon, the sun grew high and beat down on me mercilessly. My cheeks were flushed. Since I refused Dill’s offer, my throat was parched. In addition to the heat, my positioning already discomforted me. Anxiously, I scrutinized the slow travel of the sun across the sky. I begged for sundown.

Between one of my conscious states, a hand untied my wrists.

In a pathetic crumble, I dropped onto the ground. Laying in such a way, I nearly drifted to sleep, but Ace ripped me up by my hair. You’d think they would be a bit gentler if they are hoping to make money off of me, I thought as Ace handed me off to Tristan.

After retying my wrists, he removed the gag and gave me water from his canteen. “I was not supposed to do that. Oh, I forgot. You do not understand me. Pity. I thought I might have finally found some honest company. I do not want to do this, you know-”

“Tristan, watch the girl. The wranglers are approaching. We cannot have those morals you always talk about in the way.” Varick ordered, drawing a small blade.

I looked back to Tristan, cocking my head in curiosity. I smiled encouragingly.

“I never wanted to hurt anyone. Stealing from a greedy merchant is one thing, but kidnapping a girl who knows not of the language is not right. I hope you can forgive me. Right, right, you do not understand Caligerian. I wonder if you are cruel where you come from. The rich typically are. Where I am from, the town overlord has taken so much from my mother and I that we could not afford to see a doctor. She’s deathly ill. I do this for her. Surely, you understand that you need to do whatever it takes for your mother?”

I smiled at the irony; he had no idea just how true his statement was.



© 2011 Alex Thomas


Author's Note

Alex Thomas
I haven't been very good about updating this. I apologize.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

329 Views
Added on October 29, 2011
Last Updated on October 29, 2011


Author

Alex Thomas
Alex Thomas

Boston, MA



About
I don't get on here much anymore. Here you can view my poetry, several short stories, some of my older work, and the beginnings of my second completed novel, Sleepwalker. To read the full novel and i.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Alex Thomas