Was It Love?

Was It Love?

A Story by Ria
"

How do you know what is true love?

"

 

How was he supposed to go on, pretending the feelings weren't real? Did he love her? He just wasn't sure. Her smile made his heart ache; her laugh put a smile on his face every time. Was that love, or just a human response to what he was seeing and hearing? He wasn't sure. She had been gone a week now. The silence was deafening. He never planned for this to hurt so much. He thought once she was out of his life he could go on. Meet someone new, someone more his type. Someone his friends would approve of. Trying to come up with all the reasons he didn't love her, only depressed him more. Love is sneaky, it creeps in when you least expect it and wraps around your heart. The mind and the heart beat out of sync with each other. The mind sees the features, hears the words, and measures the actions. The heart feels the emotion behind the words, sees the inner beauty, and never puts action over intention.

He had never been spoiled before her. Seeing her doing everyday things for him at times made him uneasy. He was not the type to use anyone, he knew this. Did she feel she had to or was she doing it for some other reason? She had told him she loved him and that she wanted to. Acting like that explained her actions perfectly, her need to spoil. The moving in with him came from sheer necessity. He needed a roommate, she a chance to get back on her feet. Now here he sat, alone, wondering where it all went wrong. Her things still occupied his house. A painful reminder of how happy they had been. He couldn't bear the thought of the empty spaces they would leave when she took them away. She told him he needed to find himself, find the one he loved, and make a choice. How could she love him and also let him go, the question burned in his mind. They had shared so much. Loved to watch the same things on television, liked the same kind of movies, she even loved sports. She could fix things, talk about cars and motors and not give him the usual blank look so many had given him in the past. Again he wondered, is this love? 

Dating when you are young is easy, no children, no past pains to mar the moment. Hope for the future, a life spent with another is all there for the taking. As time moves on, the picture changes. We become older, wiser, but also protective of our heart. The hopes for our future have changed from children, marriage and building a home to who will be there when I am alone and hurting. Who will hold my hand when life becomes too much. That is the person his heart was looking for, his mind was looking for something else. Was it love, he wondered. His heart hurt, his mind was filled with thoughts of her. Songs reminded him of her, she filled his head and yet he just didn't know. How do you ever really know? Women were everywhere he looked, all sizes, shapes and personalities. None of them replaced her; none pushed her to the back of his mind making him miss her less. None touched him the way she did. Her touch made his skin tingle, his heart lurch. Was it love? Holding his head in his hands, silently he cried. He just didn't know.

© 2009 Ria


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
---
A very sweet story...especially how you write about the simple things she does, but with love.

The only thing is that there are some advantages to dating when older; aged people are wiser and know more about love and life. Of course that's just my opinion and no one really credits that. Ha ha ;)

Keep writing!

~Phoenix~

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Absolutely love this....Of course it,s LOVE !!!! My heart ached when reading.....Of course it,s LOVE !!!
Thanks sooooooo much for sharing this romantic, touching, moving story, even although the pain is felt deeply !!
BBXX

Posted 15 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
---
A very sweet story...especially how you write about the simple things she does, but with love.

The only thing is that there are some advantages to dating when older; aged people are wiser and know more about love and life. Of course that's just my opinion and no one really credits that. Ha ha ;)

Keep writing!

~Phoenix~

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

124 Views
2 Reviews
Added on February 3, 2009

Author

Ria
Ria

Plattsburgh, NY



About
After playing around with words for years I have finally come to a point in my life where I have the drive and the time to write. I am not in a constant state of depression although alot of my writing.. more..

Writing
The Forest The Forest

A Story by Ria


The Dark The Dark

A Poem by Ria