White fog.

White fog.

A Story by Alishly
"

Regular people die because of illnesses or unfortunate events. But all of us put our lives even more in danger. We broad the possibility of death. The meaningless war started by others end us.

"
Someone screamed. Everywhere filled with this screaming voice. I was covering my ears just like clouds were covering the sun. Then I realized someone could need my help, but why I am sitting here like a coward. I stood up and came approached the window with closed curtains. I dragged the curtains open and saw white mist on the window's glass. I opened the window. There was a weird desire to scream and ask a question. When I was about to inhale air with my nostrils my head started to hurt as if someone with rough hands was squeezing my brain. I was confused about this weird weather. I decided to close the window and go outside. Someone screamed again. Now I understand that it was more than one person's scream. I started to breathe heavily as soon as I opened the door. Air even tasted weird. Although there was a white fog everywhere I still decided to go into the thick fog. As I breathed in this white air was circling in my lungs. The pupil of my eye got wider and I started to see everything blurry. I stopped and rubbed my eyes. I looked up, started to see even worse. I saw nothing but blurry colors surrounding me. I started panicking because I didn't know what was the issue. I got jump scared because someone screamed in my ear but no one was near me. It sounded as if someone's skin was peeled off them. I saw blurry color quickly running away then second and third. For a second the ground started to shake.
-Please, can somebody explain what is happening? I'm begging you.
My head started aching horribly. Someone hit my shoulder and run away. 
-Wait, what's happening? Can I help?               
I went forward and saw something black. This thing was approaching me. I was scared because I didn't know what it was. Finally, it came close enough to me to see and what I saw will never be erased from my memory. This was a person with burned red meat and his eyes were like jello coming out of his head. I screamed as loud as I can. He squeezed my arms with his hot hands. He was screaming in pain:
- Please kill me...I can't take it anymore. Hit me...Hit...
Suddenly he pushed me away and run forward screaming. I was laying still at the ground. It felt like this bitter air tried to shatter my tongue. After seeing that horrible image my heart was racing fast. He was burned alive. His poor emotionless eye wanted to cry. But that fire turned the water inside him into dry, desert-like place. If there are other people like him, there is nothing that I could help them with. In fact, their only wish is death.
He burned my arms with his hot hands. But for the first time, I can't feel any pain. The only thing I can feel is how my legs are shaking. Because of the shock, my ears could not hear clearly. I could feel the ground shaking under my body. Sounds of the explosion, people's screaming, crying of babies and my heart's beat were all mixed together. Some people were stepping on me and running away, some were falling. The ones who fell were also being stepped on. No one was helping each other. Everyone tried to run and save only their lives like wild animals. I cover my head with hands so people would not step on my head and face with their dirty shoes. I crawled forward and got up quickly. My feet starting to hurt. It felt like my strong, hard bones turned into something soft and weak. Suddenly fast running pushed someone in front of him. Other people were stepping and running on him just like they did to me. I run towards him and helped him to get up.
-Are you...
-Run, run- he shouted and disappeared out of my sight. The fear in his eyes was a clue to the everyone's destruction. His words sounded like an echo in my brain. But still, I was standing there looking crazy or drunk. What's happening? Why do people run without stopping? again some other man fell to the ground. I shuffled there with difficulty. The man looking at the sky without blinking.
-Get up! Are you okay?- I shook him- Quick, I will help you.
I started to cough an that hurt my throat. My face turned red. I couldn't inhale enough. After hearing my wheezing noise I am completely helpless because of fear. Finally, I looked at the lifelessly laying man. After looking at his dead eyes I realized I must control myself. But what I should do? Runaway with these people? Maybe they are running towards the danger and death without even realizing that? I was standing and looking at all worried, running people. Some were falling and dying like this man. Some were crying and shouting. Others were pushing the ones in front of them in order to run faster. What about the feelings like inner conscience and wish to help others? Is this fear that they are running from destroys humanity? I coughed loudly. It continued to hurt me. I tried to take a deep breath and I heard the sound that broke my heart into pieces. It was the voice of a little kid. I started to walk in the opposite direction from everybody was running.  Some of them hit me and made me fall but feeling of anger and hatred make me get up and walk again. As if like this anger was giving me strength. How they could leave a little child behind and runaway? The little girl in a oink dress was crying and screaming on top of her lungs. She was sitting on a green grass and squeezing it with her little, wet hands. I saw a man running fast towards a girl but he didn't noticing her, I quickly ran next to her, I picked her up and turned my back against a running man. I felt how he hit me but I was standing steady as a rock while hugging a little girl. I looked back and saw that man's corpse on the ground. I put my hand against his mouth, he wasn't breathing. Did he really die because he hit me? No, there must be another reason. Finally, I looked at the girl who was silently crying in my arms.
-My dear, why are you crying?
She rose her head and looked at me with her wet, shining eyes. I hugged her again and said:
-Calm down, everything will be alright. I will save you.-I stood up and realized that everywhere completely silent. There was nothing except this weird white fog. This fog was coming closer and closer. It felt like this white fog was trying to take us destroyed and dead place. I didn't know where to run, I had to go into the fog. But my suspicions are growing. And I don't want to put in danger this innocent little girl. She was holding me by my shirt with her chubby hands and her tears made my shirt wet.
-Calm down. Look at me!
I said and put her on the ground. She looked at me and hugged me quickly. Deep in her eyes, I saw a light of hope. Although she was crying she felt safe between my arms. Somehow I started seeing blurry again, I felt weakness in my hands as if my bones disappeared. I fell to the ground. My head started to hurt. Darkness was pulling me far away. I couldn't push and run away from it. I was searching for the little girl. I could hear her voice but I could not see her.
-Ge up, ge up.
When I opened my eyes I realized that I hate the white color. This color will always associate with bad things for me. This girl was so small that she could not say "Get up". I got up and sat down. I put my hands on her shoulders.
-My dear, don't be scared. I would not leave you. I'm sorry-I said and hugged her. 
Suddenly I felt something weird, something inside me wanted to leave my body. That moment I understood what I am feeling and gently pushed the girl away. I took a few steps away and got on my knees. I threw up everything that I ate last night. This situation and the bad smell made me even more nervous. I felt someone petting my back. This sweet girl wanted me to know that everything would be alright. To calm down I breathed in, took a tissue out of my pocket and wiped my mouth. I turned to the girl. She was standing steady, her eyes were shining and her cheeks were red. I was trying to keep my eyes open. My lifeless eyes could scare her. Then I understood what burned man was feeling. His only wish was to be released from the pain. I hugged the child.
-We will get out of here...We will...-I said while standing on my knees and watching the white fog that was surrounding us. The girl looking at me attentively- Can you hold your breath?
She didn't answer. She looked like a little, beautiful statue.
-You are less than five. Why would you know how to hold your breath? I will think of something else.
Suddenly little girl closed her mouth and covered her nose with her soft hands. I looked at her surprised. I didn't even think that this little girl is so smart.
-Yes. Like that my dear! -I happily kissed her cheeks. She giggled. I believed my house is not far away from here. She could hold her breath long enough. I would rather die than leave this girl alone here. 
- On the count of three, okay?
I would like to explain everything more to the little one. But I could make myself. 
-One...Two...
When I wanted to inhale I started coughing once again. I probably look like tired or dead chicken. That brown, inpatient eyed girl patted my hair. Even though she was little, she was understanding how much pain I was feeling. She wanted to courage me as much as she could and she was good at it. I looked at her and said:
- Three...
We inhaled air to our lungs. After covering our noses we stepped into the thick white fog. Soon I realized this is not a natural phenomenon, it is poison made by humans. I was hugging her and crawling on my knees. I tried to move as fast as I can to enter the house so little one would not suffocate. Sadly I move not fast enough. I believe everything at my house is closed and we must enter there to be safe and sound. My heartbeat gets slower. I start to feel something in my throat again. My legs feel like noodles and even my fingers got weak and slowly sliding off my nose that I tried to cover. My organs also get weaker. It feels like I was turned inside out. I stopped for a moment. I turned my head and looked at the girl. She was still holding her breath. Her cheeks were red and eyes were watering. No! I will enter the house, even if that will be the last thing I do. I would not let the war of sneaks destroy this girl. I crawled forward. Finally, my knee hit something. That was the stairs of my house. I would die for this girl. I quickly got up and jumped forward. The doors slammed open and the little girl fell to the floor of a house out of my hands. I also fell and closed the door behind me with my feet. I could not let the white fog to the house with us. I opened my arms wide open and was breathing fast and heavily. My heart was beating furiously. I could not hear anything except its beating. I wanted to turn my head and look at the girl but I couldn't.  As if I wasn't in control of my body anymore. Even though I didn't feel any pain I could only move my eyes. I couldn't even shout for her. Did this white fog cut my tongue? I was even more scared at that moment. It might sound weird but I was fighting my body. I tried to shake my head. My lips are moving, I am saying something, but even I could not understand myself. Suddenly I feel the weight on my chest. Someone hold on to my shirt and I felt the warmth against my skin. I couldn't take it anymore, I had to hug her. I tried to lift my arms. Imagine heavy rock on top of your arms, that what it felt like. I lifted my arms and saw them shaking. I moved them slowly to my chest then I felt the little girl's short and silky hair in my hands. I ran my fingers thru her hair. For some reason, little hands that were holding on my shirt stopped squeezing it. The warmth that I felt against my skin got colder and colder. And I heard my heartbeat for the last time.

© 2018 Alishly


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

113 Views
Added on September 4, 2018
Last Updated on September 4, 2018
Tags: White, story, drama, fog, war

Author

Alishly
Alishly

Baku, Azerbaijan



About
I am 16 years old. My hobby is to read and understand the meaning of books. While reading books I like to pay attention to authors' style and the moral of the books. That's why I am very thankful.. more..

Writing
Meaningless Meaningless

A Story by Alishly


Number 2 Number 2

A Story by Alishly


Helpless Helpless

A Story by Alishly