Marco's Miracle

Marco's Miracle

A Story by Pencil in His Hand
"

Marco is about to do something desperate. Will he go through with it?

"
Salvation Stories: Marco's Miracle
Marco waited in the dark alley alongside the corner supermarket. He blended in easily with the dark shadows in his black hoodie and jeans. A stray dog came snuffling down the alley, and he almost lost his nerve. The dog, who was obviously looking for a meal, looked up at him with pleading eyes. "Sorry, boy. You and me are in the same boat. Best go ask someone else. Leave me to do what I've got to do."

Marco counted down the minutes until five to nine, then he crept along to the street. The last customers were leaving the building. If only the stupid dog would leave him alone. Mr Cantrillo would be cashing up around now. Marco planned to just wave his knife around a bit. He wouldn't be greedy or hurt Mr Cantrillo. No. He'd just ask for a few hundred. Enough to buy food for himself, his mother and his sisters. 

The minutes ticked by, and Marco cursed softly. The dog with the pleading eyes was whining. Marco wanted to give it a kick, but thought better of it. The dog would yelp if he did that.

He groaned inwardly. Mr Cantrillo was locking the front door of his shop. He was too late.

The middle-aged man glanced down the alley as he passed. "Hi Marco. Did you need something? I can open the shop for you if you like."
"Naw," Marco looked down at his feet. "Got no money."

"Is that your dog? He looks hungry. Tell you what, come with me, Marco, I've got some dog food in the back that just expired. It should still be fine."

Marco nodded and followed him inside. This was his chance. His stomach twisted into a knot. Why did Mr Cantrillo have to be so nice?

Marco waited while the shop keeper made his way to the back of the shop. The dog could have his free meal, Marco figured. He had helped him to get into the shop.

He grew impatient as he waited. Surely it didn't take that long to grab some dog food. Finally, Mr Cantrillo appeared with a smile on his face and a couple of bags in his hands

"Here we go, Marco. There's a bag of dog food, and a bunch of tins and dry goods. Maybe you can put them to good use. I can't sell them, but they're still good to eat. How's your mom by the way? And the girls? I haven't seen them for a while."

Marco tried hard, but he couldn't stop the tears from falling down his cheeks. He swiped at them with the sleeve of his hoodie. "Why would you want to help us, Mr Cantrillo? Why are you being so kind? I sure don't deserve it."

Mr Cantrillo smiled as he patted the sixteen year old on the shoulder. "Well, Marco, Jesus whispered to me that you and your family could use them. It's as simple as that."

Not quite so simple, thought Marco, guiltily, but he stuttered his thanks several times as Mr Cantrillo locked up the shop once more. 

The little dog trotted along beside Marco to the apartment where he lived with his family. 

"Mama, you wouldn't believe what happened." Marco placed the bags on the table, and told his mother how Mr Cantrillo had given him, and the stray dog food. He left out the part about his earlier intentions to rob the kind shop keeper. 

Three pairs of eyes looked on wide-eyed as Marco opened the bag of dog food, then poured a generous helping into a plastic bowl for his new friend who was waiting patiently. Then he unpacked the rest of the groceries. Marco's mother cried as she held tins of meat and vegetables.

He was about to crumple the bags up, when he saw one more item. It was a small booklet, and when Marco saw the title, he went out onto the little balcony where they hung their washing.

His heart beat faster as he re-read the title slowly: "Tonight Could Be Your Last Chance." He sat on a plastic stool, and ignoring his empty stomach, he read the booklet from cover to cover. Then later, as he lay in bed, with the little dog at his feet, he allowed Mr Cantrillo's Jesus to fill his empty heart, and to become his Jesus too.

© 2023 Pencil in His Hand


Author's Note

Pencil in His Hand
Reviews welcome

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

33 Views
Added on August 4, 2023
Last Updated on August 4, 2023
Tags: #inspirational, #spiritual, #encouragement

Author

Pencil in His Hand
Pencil in His Hand

Velddrif, Western Cape, South Africa



About
I'm Alison, a self-published writer from South Africa. I write mainly short stories and poetry. I have written a couple of novellas and novelettes as well as a children's story. My preferred genre is .. more..

Writing