The First Stone

The First Stone

A Story by Pencil in His Hand
"

Can Allegra forgive her brother? Or will pride get in the way?

"
The First Stone
A short story
By Alison Lawrence

"I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."

Luke 5:32

(KJV)

"That's a wrap! You're on fire Allegra. Your voice is amazing."

"Thanks Logan. "It's because I've got such a brilliant team." Allegra's eyes sparkled as she surveyed her world: the band, the sound system and the stage. Tomorrow she was going to sing for her fans, and she was ready. She and Gabriel Harrison, the tenor who had stolen everyone's hearts would be doing a duet together. Logan had admitted to feeling jealous of the way their voices harmonized. 
"See you tomorrow, for our last practice." Allegra waved goodbye to the team.
"Remember to rest your voice tonight angel," Logan reminded her. Everyone knew that he was crazy about Allegra, but he didn't mind. She was his angel, with her shiny blonde hair, blue eyes, and sweetness. That she'd agreed to go out with him, was a miracle. As he did a final sound test, he reminded himself that he would have to do things properly. Allegra was a classy girl; the kind who would expect a ring and a church wedding.
***
Allegra thought about Logan and their relationship as she walked to her car. Her thoughts were happy ones. He was perfect for her, she'd decided. They both worked in the music industry, but more importantly, he was sensitive and empathetic, unlike some men. His stylish appearance and dreamy eyes and dark hair were a sweet bonus. She smiled as she recalled his concern. Yes, she would rest her voice later, but first, she had to pay her younger brother Callum and his wife Bryony a visit. Her happy mood vanished as she drove carefully along the busy road. Her little brother had messed up his life and had dragged the family name through the mud. Now, at the tender age of twenty, he was saddled with a wife and a new born baby. His future was ruined.
Allegra had put off the inevitable as long as possible, but now duty called. The baby was her nephew. As she glanced at the large gift bag beside her, a feeling of disgust rose inside her. How could Callum turn his back on his godly upbringing and break everyone's hearts? How could he be so dumb?
She parked outside the apartment block and just sat for a while. Five long minutes ticked by before she sighed deeply and got out of the car. Looking up at the aging building, she thanked God that she hadn't messed up like her brother. She'd always preferred to stay on the narrow path, and now that path, along with all of her hard work, were leading her to success.
Allegra knocked nervously on the door of the third floor apartment. Callum opened it at once, a big, welcoming smile on his face.

"Ally, I'm so glad you came. Bryony too. Come inside. She and little Eli are in the lounge."

"I can't stay long. I have to sing tomorrow."

She felt uncomfortable in the small apartment standing next to this brother who'd become a man, a husband and father. Who worked in a supermarket like any ordinary person.

"I know. I saw you on the cover of You magazine. Come, you need to meet Eli."

Forcing her feet to move, she followed Callum to the lounge. Bryony looked up and smiled shyly. Her long, brown hair was loose and she looked terribly young, but tenderness and maturity could be seen in her eyes.

Allegra tiptoed nearer, not wanting to wake the sleeping bundle in Bryony's arms.

"Would you like to hold him? He won't wake up."

Allegra nodded, her eyes fixed on the beautiful baby. Holding him very carefully, she studied the precious face. Such long lashes for a boy. And the cutest little nose. "He smells like a spring breeze." She said softly.

"I'll make coffee." Callum grinned and went off to put the kettle on. A few minutes later, he returned bearing three mugs on a tray. He looks like a teenager, with his denim jeans and blonde curls, thought Allegra sadly. Yet, at the same time, her heart was softening towards her brother. He had changed; and the little one in her arms had already crept into her heart.

She ended up staying for over an hour. Bryony, less shy now, spoke quietly of Eli's birth and Allegra wished she'd made more of an effort. There and then she resolved to be an involved aunt. When the time came to leave, she hugged Bryony and Eli gently. Callum walked with her to her car. They stood awkwardly beside it for a moment, before Callum cleared his throat. He spoke softly, yet earnestly. "Ally, I need to say something. I messed up badly. Hurt Mom and Dad. You too, and Bryony. I was stupid. But can you stop being mad and forgive us?"

His eyes met hers." I'm sorry Ally. I know I'm a sinner. I've repented and asked Jesus to save me. Bryony did too. Can you forgive us?"

Words failed her, but tears ran freely down her cheeks as she pulled Callum into a hug. Once she'd calmed down a little, she wiped her face.

"With my whole heart. But can you forgive me?"

Callum grinned and assured her it was a done deal.

Allegra got into her car reluctantly. "I've got to go, but I'll be back soon to see all of you. Promise."
She watched Callum in the rear-view mirror as she slowly pulled away. Still grinning, with a smile as wide as God's love, he waved until she was gone.
Her eyes were wet, but her heart felt feather-light. And as she drove she repented of her pride and unforgiveness and threw the huge ugly rock that she had so nearly thrown far, far away.

© 2023 Pencil in His Hand


Author's Note

Pencil in His Hand
Reviews welcome

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

39 Views
Added on August 4, 2023
Last Updated on August 4, 2023
Tags: #inspirational, #forgiveness, #love

Author

Pencil in His Hand
Pencil in His Hand

Velddrif, Western Cape, South Africa



About
I'm Alison, a self-published writer from South Africa. I write mainly short stories and poetry. I have written a couple of novellas and novelettes as well as a children's story. My preferred genre is .. more..

Writing