Why did I Die

Why did I Die

A Poem by Alla Antsis
"

One year of the Ukrainian / Russian war. Paying tribute to soldiers sacrifices attained while concurring another land

"

In war, there is no noble death,

Just pain and sorrow with each breath.

I perished in a tragic way,

No bravery or courage on display.

 

My body, once whole, now torn apart,

A lifeless piece of burned-up art.

I cry and scream, but no one hears,

No one to soothe my dying fears.

 

My dreams and hopes now left behind,

To sacrifice for stupid pride

No chance to live to dream or love

No chance to say a last goodbye

 

What was the purpose of this fight,

That robbed me of my chance at life?

Why did I have to pay the price,

And be statistic in their dice?

 

My death was senseless, cruel and grim

My mind now lost, my light grows dim

My heart now aches with this regret,

As I leave this world with much unsaid

 

I now died….

 

Alla Antsis

February 24, 2023

© 2023 Alla Antsis


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

How many times have i asked, If war is considered the ultimate answeer to global conflicts, why has there been more than one? In many cases, greed, hatred, control, etc. are used as the initial spur for warring tactics that grow into bloody situations .. what is happening in the Ukraine iis nothing less than evil. Mankind seems unable to learn from the past, from a long, long history. Will probably continue until the sky fades, then return black as sin. Goodbye.
Inspiring and finely laid writing, Alta Antsis.. your poem is extraordinary., powerful yet somehow subtle. Bravo

Posted 10 Months Ago


Alla Antsis

10 Months Ago

Emma, I totally agree with your observations regarding the war. Atrocities to no end. Thank you for .. read more
Yes... such a pity indeed...

It often happens with mindless sheep or wolves, that follow orders blindly... or for a price.

And to the innocent as well... with nothing to blame. Or any real sins... to pay.

Ah... tragedy everywhere...

Such a waste.

Great poem!!!

Posted 1 Year Ago


Alla Antsis

1 Year Ago

You will be surprised how many "thinking" people perish together with the mindless sheep.
Tha.. read more
The_Ancient_Rock

1 Year Ago

Surprised? Never, not at all...

I did speak of the innocents...

Of cou.. read more
If people all over the world, across cultures, came together and said no to war collectively, perhaps this wouldn't be happening. People need to stop getting swayed by mad, egoistic leaders if they value their sons and daughters. A very thinking poem, Alla.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Alla Antsis

1 Year Ago

Thank you for your review, DIVYA! One day humanity will wake up and stop slaughter....
Alla,

When the day came that men as governments, no matter the origination's nation, coined the euphemism's terminology, Collateral Damage, that was assuredly the Modern Day reckoning of time when Man lost his defining definition as Humanity, for that word Humanity is derived from the word Humane, which, literally, means to possess, exhibit, and portray compassion for other living creatures, which, most importantly means other Human, suffering and dying, Beings ... That is why I do refer to the masses of all Humanity as now existing as nothing more than Human Sheeple-People Cattle ... We have left off being Human, and have relegated ourselves to existence as no more than bleating Sheep and mooing Cows as dumbed down Intelligently-Stupid Cattle, as per my poem, We Are All Sheeple-People Cattle, One & All ... If there was ever a time when all the masses of this world should and must stand and overthrow their given nation's corrupt and totally uncaring governments, that time is now, all at once in united synchronized unison, for that is the one and only chance that the remainder of us who retain our Humanity have left ... As such will never happen, because everyone of everyone expects someone else to stand up first, to take it upon themselves to do that which all of us know must be done, and so, it shall not be done ... And you and I, our families and children, around this world are doomed due Apathy of no true desire to stand up for ALL HUMANITY, for we are far too concerned with our little lives built solidly around our persona of SELF ... There may be a remainder of Mankind, after this next World War is over, but there shall no longer be a Human Being to remain as the dregs remnants of what once was HUMANITY ...

Keep shouting the message for all to hear, and never cease ...

Marvin Thomas Cox-Flynn de Graham

Posted 1 Year Ago


Alla Antsis

1 Year Ago

Thank you, Marvin! People’s mindsets have always been conditioned by the survival. As humanity con.. read more
Marvin Thomas Cox-Flynn de Graham

1 Year Ago

Let us hope, for it is all that we can do ...!
"a lifeless piece of burned up art"
that line is one I wish I had written....so many die in war, do become statistics.

I remember being in the draft in the late sixties...we were just numbers....not names, nor faces, nor people who mattered, just more bodies to toss into the conflict.
this poem is so strong and true, it hurts.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Alla Antsis

1 Year Ago

Jacob, Thank you for your comments and thank you for sharing your connection to the subject! Most wh.. read more
Very moving. Makes one think of the sacrifices made.
Did it matter? Or was such done in vain?

Posted 1 Year Ago


Alla Antsis

1 Year Ago

Thank you for your comment, Melinda! Too many young souls should not be sacrificing their lives in t.. read more
The senselessness of death lives in your poem. To come to this poem as a first impression of you is pretty powerful. Strong subject with strong words. I might disagree though, there is noble death, but nothing noble about dying unnecessarily. It was interesting how you left your rhyme pattern behind on the behind line. Creates a free style that seemed to work in this. So much more the soldier has to say, but for death that got in the way!

Posted 1 Year Ago


Alla Antsis

1 Year Ago

It is interesting that you caught the “free style” - not done intentionally but could not find a.. read more
This is a very moving peace...and it cuts deep into the soul.... why do we die? in war life is constantly moving and changing, fast pace, and we move within it but it threatens us every day.. .. it's fate that takes us away fate that we cannot control... war kills and maims; sometimes we have to suffer for it and in it... and that is the worst part... we sacrifice our lives and die....and are we appreciated? or just "a statistic"?
Well written and heartbreaking.
Best, Betty


Posted 1 Year Ago


Alla Antsis

1 Year Ago

Betty,
Thank you for your response! I appreciate your thoughts as always. The one statement I.. read more
Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

Yes, I do agree with you that war is in the choices we make, but not always....you're very welcome!<.. read more
It seems to me we have evolved in so many ways yet we haven’t evolved all that much in problem solving. We still fight as if we are in ancient times from top down. As if we haven’t learned anything. I don’t particularly believe in war and your first sentence says it all. Drew me right in. War creates more enemies than it kills in my opinion. Love the perspective to which you wrote this. It brings it to a very human level. The senselessness of it all. I think this war in Ukraine could have been avoided with skillful peace talks and all that goes with it. A huge problem is we still think we all can have our own way by any means. Brilliant writing and great title.


Posted 1 Year Ago


Alla Antsis

1 Year Ago

Ladysue,

I so appreciate your response! Agreed with everything you said…not much ch.. read more
A poignant piece to mark the first year of the conflict in Ukraine. All those deaths! The brutality of warfare. All those young and older men who had no choice. Under orders on both sides. All that grief and misery left in their wake. All that suffering. This piece captures the futility of warfare Alla.

Chris

Posted 1 Year Ago


Alla Antsis

1 Year Ago

Thank you for getting this, Chris! The ugliness of the war, souls perished, lives disturbed is entir.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

267 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 23, 2023
Last Updated on March 23, 2023
Tags: war, Ukraine, curage, love, death, humanity

Author

Alla Antsis
Alla Antsis

New York, NY



About
I am an accomplished architect, builder, and artist with a passion for poetry and a desire to make a difference in communities, societies, and the world. Live currently in NYC. Born in Kiev, Ukraine, .. more..

Writing
Silence Silence

A Poem by Alla Antsis



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..