Your Night To Shine

Your Night To Shine

A Chapter by Kasey Jones

I could hear my heart pounding as I stared back into Jeremy's eyes. "W-what was he talking about, Jeremy?"
Jeremy looked at the floor, like he was expecting the right thing to say to be written there. He sighed and said "I don't know. I wasn't on the phone with him." 
Is Jeremy pretending not to know what's going on? Or does he really not know?
"Jeremy..." I couldn't think of what to say. The clock on the wall ticked monotonously. I felt like the tension in the room was about to split open my head. Jeremy stood there, his eyes silently questioning me, looking like he was on the verge of tears.
The monitor beside me transformed into an old, bulky TV. The chair turned into an ugly couch, and everything else faded into a bright yellow wall with family pictures on it. And just like that, I was reliving the day my life changed forever. The day my father died. I remember the morning of that day. We were all so cheerful, and we had no idea that anything bad would happen. It was a Saturday, and Jeremy and Dad were going to a lake to go fishing. Jeremy was 14 years old, and so excited. They packed up our old station wagon, and off they went. My mother and I were alone at home, cleaning and doing laundry. I wanted to go fishing with them. But Jeremy didn't want me to, because I was an "annoying tag-along". And Dad wanted some father-son bonding time. So, I, the tomboy, had to stay home and clean, thinking of all the fun Jeremy and Dad must be having. My mother and I cleaned and cleaned, until it was very late at night. We were expecting "the men" to be back home by now. My mother dismissed it by saying that there's probably a lot of traffic. But I had a horrible feeling that something went wrong. 
My mother made me go to bed at 9:30, just like every other day. I couldn't sleep. I just stared at the ceiling and wondered what was happening. My door was opened and I could see into Jeremy's empty bedroom across the hall. I passed some time by reading Moby Dick, the book that Jeremy had been reading out loud to me every night. When I was completely immersed into the world of the book, I almost felt like Jeremy was back, reading it to me, and everything was fine. 
These thoughts were rudely interrupted at 11:34, when I saw red and blue lights flash onto my wall through the window. I heard sirens blaring. I looked out the window to see Jeremy running out of a police car. A policeman chased after him, but I knew that Jeremy didn't care. All he wanted was to get to our mother. Something must have gone horribly wrong. He knocked frantically on the door. My mother answered, terrified, in her bathrobe. Jeremy began talking very fast and they hugged tightly. I put down the book, threw on a bathrobe, and ran down the stairs. My mother heard my footsteps and stepped aside to let me inside of their embrace. We were all sobbing, but only Jeremy knew why. I released myself from the tight hug, and stepped inside. Jeremy followed. Our mother had to stay at the door and talk to the police officers. 
Jeremy and I stood across from each other in the living room. The tick-tock of the antique grandfather clock filled the room.
     "Dad's dead.' Jeremy said, solemnly.
     "I know." I looked down at my feet. I wanted to ask what happened, but the broken look in Jeremy's eyes made me stop. I slowly walked towards him. I opened my arms and pulled him into a hug. I felt his hot tears on my shoulder, and I began crying, too. That's how we stood, for what seemed like hours, until our mother came inside with the police officers. 
"Jess, there's something you need to know."


© 2010 Kasey Jones


Author's Note

Kasey Jones
The part about the past is meant as a flashback, not time-traveling. Sorry for not getting to the point about the accident yet :) I don't even know what's going to happen next.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

The 'c**k' vs. 'clock' thing was kind of embarrassing, but thanks for correcting it, guys. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Amazing I rly like this book but it says c**k not clock but it's great

Posted 13 Years Ago


I love it, but it's bothering me that it says 'c**k on the wall'. I have acute OCD, please add the 'l', haha.

Sorry about correcting that, but seriously Kasey, keep this up!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very good chapter. Some important parts of the accident are coming out in the story. This story is very good. I like the pace and the characters in the story. I look forward to reading more.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


The flashback is conveyed very clearly, but you might consider italicizing it to make it clearer. You may want to make it so that something in Jeremy's actions brought her to the flashback.

Posted 13 Years Ago


i know it doesn't seem great, but you should draw up a plan or a set of ideas...
I don't understand how this links to the last chapter really...?
Have i missed something?

Posted 13 Years Ago


this is really good I like how she could tell he was dead can't wait to read more

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

506 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 23, 2010
Last Updated on June 8, 2010


Author

Kasey Jones
Kasey Jones

The Armpit Of Massachusetts, MA



About
Just read my stuff to get to know me. This is one of my favorite music videos, and songs. It can be creepy, but it must have been SO fun to film. The "How could it ha.. more..

Writing
Sunset Sunset

A Story by Kasey Jones



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..