Chapter 4~

Chapter 4~

A Chapter by Ameerah

          After school, Laura came home with me. We sat on my couch, sipping soda and watching TV.

            We were facing each other, trying to come up with ideas to “woo” Joey.
            “Well, you can’t change who you are,” I began. “You won’t be yourself anymore.” I let out a big sigh. I felt strange, as if some part of me was missing.
            Then, the doorbell rang.
            “Expecting someone?” Laura asked.
            “No one but Brandon,” I said. “Maybe that’s him.”
            I went to answer the door, leaving Laura to think by herself for a few minutes.
            “I’m sorry, but I’m kind of busy, Br—” I broke off when I saw it wasn’t Brandon. “Matt.” Surprise registered on my face. “I was expecting someone else. What do you want?”
            “Can I come in?” Matt asked.
            “No. I meant it when I said I was busy,” I added. “Now’s not the right time. I’m in the middle of something.”
            “I promise this won’t take long.” He started to come in, but I put my hand on his chest, stopping him.
            “No, Matt.” I felt his unsteady heartbeat under my palm.
            He covered my hand with his. “Why won’t you fight for me?”
            “Because I learned a long time ago that love triangles are dangerous,” I whispered. “Nothing good comes out of it. I’m backing off, Matt. If I fight for you, I will win, but someone will always try to break us apart.”
            “Someone as in Beth,” he stated.
            “Someone as in anyone,” I corrected. “I’m sorry, but you need to go.” I tried to slip my hand away, but he tightened his hold on my hand. “Let me go, Matt.”
            “I can’t,” he said, sadly. His eyes were a bit brighter, more transparent. I realized a second later that he was holding back tears.
            My heart ached for him. I couldn’t take his hurt. Because his hurt and pain were my hurt and pain. We were connected; that’s why I felt strange before. He has a part of me—no, he took a part of me.
            My hand slipped away from his, only to rest on his cheek. “You break my heart. Don’t be hurt. Everything you feel, I feel. I don’t know why.”
            “It’s a sign. We’re meant to be, Bridget,” he explained. “If this is true love, we can face anything together. I know how you feel about me, sweetheart, because I feel the same way.”
            My eyes filled with tears and threatened to spill. “Matt…”
            “Shh…” He leaned down and pressed his lips to mine.
            This time my tears fell, flowing down my cheeks like water flowing down a river. I couldn’t explain the feelings that erupted from deep inside of me. They were feelings I have never felt in my life. It could only be described as love. The feeling of your stomach fluttering inside, the feeling that your heart is about to explode, and mostly the feeling when the person you love touches you. It’s unbearable. Your skin is left tingly and it’s a while until the feeling passes, until they touch you again. There’s a strong need of the person you love and you don’t want to let go.
            I never want to let go. I wanted to keep Matt in my hold forever.
            “What’s going on?” I heard Laura ask.
            I pulled away, with tears down my cheeks. I didn’t take my eyes off of Matt, fear of him disappearing and this being only a dream.
            “I love you,” Matt said, and my heart stopped, only to pick up and speed away.
            “I love you, too,” I said. “Always have, and always will.”
            “Be with me,” he asked.
            “I don’t know,” I whispered.
            “I think you should,” Laura spoke up. “You told me how love felt and from you two, I can see it. Don’t give up, Bridget. He’s yours. Not Beth’s, not anyone’s. Be with him.”
            “Give us a few minutes alone,” I said. I went outside and closed the door behind me.
            I slipped my arms around Matt’s waist, resting my cheek on his chest. I felt his unsteady heartbeat. His arms came around me, making me feel secure.
            “Let’s be together,” he whispered. “We can face whatever problems that’ll come. We’re strong.”
            “I know, but—” I started.
            “No buts,” he interrupted. “We love each other, so what’s the problem?”
            I stepped back. “What’s the problem?” I repeated. “Beth is! She’s going to make senior year for both of us a living hell! I don’t want that for you. I’ll take it for me, but I can stand up to her.”
            “I won’t stand by and watch someone insult you,” he snapped.
            “Well, you don’t have a choice,” I shot back. “If you only be with me, I swear I won’t make it easy.”
            “I’m counting on that,” he smirked. “I’d rather you make hard for me rather than yourself.”
            “Who said anything about making it hard on me? I’ll be fine,” I added.
            “See? We’re having our first fight,” Matt pointed out. “That’s normal for a couple in love.”
            “Matt, this is serious,” I warned.
            “You’re right, this is serious,” he smiled. “We should probably go out on a date tonight. Pick you up at eight.” He started walking away.
            “Matt!” I called. “I won’t go!”
            “Whatever you say!” he called as he drove off in his car.
            I exhaled in frustration, and went back inside. “Guys are so annoying. Why did they have to exist?” I muttered. I kept muttering as I went into the living room and sat next to Laura.
            “Well, well, aren’t you in love?” she joked.
            “This isn’t funny,” I said.
            “I can’t believe you won’t go out with him,” she laughed.
            “I can’t believe you won’t focus on your love,” I scolded.
            “Joey can wait,” she went on. “But what you’re going to wear tonight can’t. So let’s go up and pick something sexy and tempting. Maybe you’ll break his heart tonight.”
            “Hopefully,” I joked.
                                   
*                                  *                                  *
           
We spent about three hours in my room trying to decide what I’m going to wear. We finally decided on a red, strapless, mini-flow-dress and matching high heels. I straightened my hair and only wore eyeliner, eye shadow, and lip-gloss. At the last minute, I decided not to wear lip-gloss, just keep my lips soft and smooth with Chap Stick.
At seven forty-five, Matt texted me.
Hey, I just thought I’d bring Joey along for Laura, he texted.
I gasped. “Laura, Joey’s coming with Matt for you. Borrow something from me. I’ll tell Matt to drive slow or take a detour.”
You sneaky devil! I texted back. Drive slowly or take a detour. Laura has to get ready now.
He sent a smiley face and smooch face.
“Come on, let’s find something,” I dragged her to my closet.
We decided on an off-shoulder, light blue, mini dress and matching high heels. We didn’t have time to do her hair so we left it down. She wore the same make up I did. So at eight, we were ready.
The doorbell rang exactly at eight. Laura and I answered it.
The guys were dressed in buttoned-down shirts and faded blue jeans. They looked rather sexy. I didn’t pay attention to Joey. I couldn’t take my eyes off of Matt.
“Hi,” I greeted, surprised I could use my voice.
“Hey,” he smiled, his eyes roaming over me. I could practically feel his eyes over my body. “I thought you said you won’t go out with me.”
“I changed my mind,” I said. “Are you ready?”
“Yeah,” he nodded.
“Let’s go, then.” I giggled as I saw the way Joey and Laura were looking at each other.
We got into Matt’s sports car and he sped off. To help Laura, Matt and I made Joey and her sit in the back, while we sat in front. I could practically feel the tension vibrating off of Laura and Joey.
“Where are we going?” I asked, when I saw darkness ahead of us. The bright, full moon was hidden behind the zooming trees. I checked the speedometer and gasped. “Why are you going a hundred miles an hour? Are you trying to kill us?”
“Well, sweetheart, I don’t think while I’m driving,” Matt smiled.
“Well, I do,” I said. “Where are we going?”
“How about a late night picnic?” he asked.
“I don’t know, how about it?” I giggled.
It did not feel like we were going a hundred miles an hour. All I felt was the steady hum of the car. I did, however, felt when he was slowing down.
Matt turned off of the road onto a grassy road. He finally stopped off of the road. I waited until he got out and came around to open my door. I stepped out and was taken away by the view. We were on top of a little, grassy hill. The trees whispered in the light wind around us. The grass tilted against the breeze, tickling my ankles. The hill sloped down into a sparkling lake. The moonlight lit up the entire place, shining its silvery light on every thing. We all looked pale in the light. It was breathtaking.
“It’s beautiful,” I whispered.
Matt put an arm around my shoulders and planted a kiss on my hair. “Let’s set up,” he said, quietly.
We got a soft, flowery blanket out from the trunk of the car, along with a woven, straw basket. Laura and I spread the blanket and then we all sat. There were two big boulders on both sides of the blanket. Matt and Joey leaned on each and Laura and I were in their arms. In the basket, there were peanut butter sandwiches, beers, grapes, and candy bars.
“This is so great,” I said, happily. “I’m so glad I came. The view is amazing. I haven’t had a picnic since I was little. I used to have one with my mom and dad and my sister.” I sighed, sadly.
“Hey, now.” Matt tilted my chin up with a finger. “This isn’t the time for sadness, love. That’s not what we’re here for. We’re here to have a good time.”
We ate and drank and had fun. I could barely stand the taste of beer. I took one sip and started gagging.
“Ugh!” I groaned. “That’s disgusting!”
“You’ll get used to it,” Matt laughed.
“No, I won’t,” I said. “I’d stick to being a non-drinker for now.”
“We’re going to take a little walk,” Joey said, pulling Laura up as he got up.


© 2009 Ameerah


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Aw, I kind of got all cry-ey at one point. Good chapter. =)

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

163 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 26, 2009


Author

Ameerah
Ameerah

Orlando, FL



About
Hi, Im Ameerah as you all already know. Im currently a tenth grader at Lake Howell High School in Orlando, Florida. Im starting the weekend and I can't wait to get back to school. I dont know if you g.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1~ Chapter 1~

A Chapter by Ameerah


Chapter 2~ Chapter 2~

A Chapter by Ameerah