Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Anamadheya

“You’re late.” Her mother said as she opened the door.

“I’m sorry, Mother. The traffic was unexpected.” Selene replied. She noticed her bag and keys on the table.

“Your father’s taken your brother to the hospital. There’s food in the fridge. Heat it up and make sure to hang the clothes out to dry from the machine afterwards.”

She locked the door securely after her mother left and headed to the kitchen to search for her lunch.

Heating it up, she thought of her six year old brother having to be hospitalized for something as mundane as a cold due to a weak immune system. She stared at the lotus-and-crescent star sign on the back of her hand, the color blue as her veins.

She remembered her mother’s cries and beatings, calling her a thief for stealing what should have been her son’s right and cursing her for being the first born.

As she had her lunch and then went to finish up hanging the laundry, she remembered the man named Alpha and wondered what he had in mind. She knew some of her classmates were in groups involved in hate crimes that managed to escape scot-free thanks to the political godparents who defended them citing their behavior as fear of being neglected and sidelined due to the Alchemist majority. She had also heard of a few Alchemist politicians rallying people to form groups to ‘protect and defend the people’ and wondered if Alpha was one of them. No good could ever come out of such an association. Chasing away that thought, she settled on her homework. Holding out her pen, she noticed that the star sign had started to look more prominent. She would have to use more if the foundation cream to cover it up.

The knock on the door at midnight made her realize that her mother was out of the house. She opened the door to the tired mother and son. Wordlessly, she carried him on her hip and settled him down on the bed where he fell asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow. She wiped the sheen of sweat on his forehead and noted in mind to take him for a haircut as she brushed away the brown hair growing out in ringlets.

She pulled a blanket over his frail body after removing his socks and shoes, pained as she remembered the mischievous kid with sparkling blue eyes like his father and grandfather.

As she stepped out of the bedroom, one look at her mother’s face let her know it was hopeless to ask anything.

“Don’t you want to know how it went?” she asked with an eerie calm in her voice.

“How did it go?” she asked cautiously as she deposited the socks in the laundry hamper, keeping a careful distance from her.

“The ran the same old tests and gave the same old medicines.” She laughed mirthlessly. “I swear, I can prescribe them with my eyes closed what with all the money we’ve burned on them. If only he’d been born first…” she sighed

Selene closed her eyes and chanted her father’s words ‘She doesn’t really mean it.’ in her head. The continuous gloomy environment of the town, the failing health of her son and her father’s long working hours at the Army Cantonment was taking its toll on her.

After the initial year, her mother had let out all the frustrations she had held in as a child on Selene. Incidents of her grandmother’s ill-treatment like the time where her grandmother had tried to drown her mother as a child, unwillingly having to leave the safety of the Empire to a hostile foreign country and watching her only son waste away due to a weak immune system from having a Glyph not strong enough to shield his body with power came to the forefront with verbal and physical lashings.

It was a cruel irony �" her brother’s powers were so weak that it made him sick and her powers were so strong that she was made guilty for it even though they had been sealed when she turned eight.

The physical part was surprisingly easy to handle �" bruises faded within a week or so �" but the words were what hurt her the most as they left deep wounds on her heart and every time her mother cursed her for stealing her brother’s powers opened them up and made the pain more raw, not allowing any time to heal.

The lament continued as Selene went to bed. The wet pillowcase had become as much a part of her as the ache in her heart and breathing through her mouth to not let the others know of her cries as the night went on.

***

The week went on as uneventful as ever. Selene picked at her breakfast while her mother tended to Michael, never questioning when she threw up later. At school, Selene found herself covering her left arm. Cosmetics were banned from school campus and she wouldn’t dare asking for it from any girl she knew would carry it all the same. Occasionally, her eyes would drift towards someone she knew was an Alchemist and she would find them looking at her with a gleam of knowledge as if they shared a forbidden secret �" a faint hint of a sympathetic smile, an inconspicuous nod �" which reminded her of Alpha. Maybe she was going crazy from not having any friends after all.

***

Selene hastily packed a bag with essentials for her mother and Michael on the weekend as she called the hospital in panic when he threw up his food and they found blood in it. He had passed out soon after, and Selene knew it meant another stay at the hospital.

 

The Army Hospital was the picture of an overtaxed and understaffed hospital. Ever since the country started receiving funds from the Federation of the Democratic Republic Countries �" or Feds, as they shortened the name of the union of different democratic countries �" they had turned the hospital once reserved for the Alchemist Army contingent sent over by the Empire open to the general public in the interest of equality. They conveniently forgot to fund the hospital to staff with personnel for the same since it was run by the Alchemists who happened to fall under the majority in terms of ethnic population and prevented them to increase the rates of treatment to keep it accessible to all. As the practice and ‘propagation’ of all things Alchemy was all but prohibited by the government, this was the only hospital left that still continued a semblance of treatment for  Alchemist life-force specific illnesses.

Selene stared at the faded posters on the wall boasting of excellent diagnostic facilities and specialist doctors while her mother sat with the doctor in his cabin.

From what she could see through the blemished glass pane, the doctor had a serious expression on his face as he spoke. He looked defensive as her mother got up from her seat and said something Selene couldn’t make out since her back was to the glass and then visibly slumped into the chair. The news was definitely not good. The doctor picked his phone and called someone. Soon after, a doctor stopped by and sat on the bench next to Selene.

As she stared at the yellowing white tiles, he spoke out “You’re an Alchemist, aren’t you?” with an air of disgust that had now become familiar to her.

Covering the back of her hand, she caught sight of the pale blue circle rising out at his collar.

“What a load of freaks…” he said. “It wasn’t enough that you exist, but you’re the majority and still cry out that you’re wronged.” He huffed.

“Well, so are you.” She said before she could stop herself.

He looked at her as if she had slapped him and then adjusted his collar.

“I wish I wasn’t. With all political power in the hands of the Mezzalites, it’s no use if you’re an Alchemist if you want to get somewhere that matters.” He said. “It’s unfortunate I have to live with this anomaly for the rest of my life.”

She remembered of a happier life when she lived in the Valley where the simplest of transformations were met with proud smiles and appreciation. She remembered her grandfather’s lessons in apparation and transfigurations as he regaled her with tales of the Empires historic battles. They discussed different strategies from the tales as he taught her to draw out circles with colored salts and infuse her energy into the simple runes at the lake near their ancestral home, the Rathbone Manor.

A nurse went in the cabin and signaled the doctor to come in. After what seemed like an introduction, they seemed to discuss something as they pored over the reports. After what seemed like an eternity, her mother shakily stood up and walked out.

Selene hugged her when she saw the tears streaming down her face, but was violently pushed back as she ran to the telephone. She spoke in hushed tones but Selene could make out the words ‘transfusion’ and ‘urgent’.

Ending the call, she said. “Your father will be here soon. Bring him to Michael’s room. I’ll get back.”

She nodded and sat quietly as her stomach roiled and knotted uncomfortably. From what she knew about the previous doctors’ visits, life-force transfusions were done as a last resort to support the Glyph �" that acted as a central system to generate and maintain the balance of energy in the Alchemist �" and save the immune system since it was extremely difficult to find a donor with a complementary life-force. The technique was all but banned in the country owing to the unwillingness of the government to recognize Alchemy and co-operate with the Empire on research.

When she returned to her brother’s room with her father, her mother confirmed her fears.

“He’s going to die, Hiram.” She sobbed as her brother lay asleep, pale and sickly.

“I know, Celia. I’ll speak with the higher-ups at the Central Police Department to get a permit for the transfusion.” He said, the weariness etching deep frowns in his face.

That’s going to take months!” she cried. “Maybe… ” She sniffed. “Maybe we can speak to your father… ”

“No.” he gravely said, his decision made.

I want my son!” she sobbed.

Selene turned away, biting her lip trying not to cry as they discussed funds for bribing the officials and the procedure.

“I’ll take her home.” Hiram said. “I’ll stop by later to settle the hospital bills and we’ll work something out.”

Her mother didn’t respond, head in her hands as he led her out.

He flagged down a cab and gave the driver the address. She tried not to cry or throw up at the sickness and dread pooling in her stomach.

As she got out at the main gate of the apartment, her father said, “Michael will be just fine, dear. Your mother and I will work something out.”

She thought of the failed efforts of the past, the possible look of haughty disgust as her father would beg and bribe the doctor to perform the transfusion and that it would take at least two months for a permit �" time which her brother didn’t have.

I’ll help your brother in return, Alpha had voiced out in her memory when he handed out the shimmering calling card.

Her heart beat double time as her head ran in circles comprehending the possible risks.

She ran to the park and went down on her knees searching for the calling card with shaking hands at the spot she had seen him.

She had to blink twice to clear the tears to catch sight of the card. With his face in mind, she closed her eyes and concentrated on him as the card opened up a portal. She was encapsulated in the blue glow as her entire being dissipated in the glow as it vanished.

When she opened her eyes, she was in a windowless room with grey walls surrounded by surprised faces.

“Welcome, Lady Rathbone.” Alpha said, extending her hand as if he were expecting her.

 



© 2016 Anamadheya


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

98 Views
Added on December 24, 2016
Last Updated on December 24, 2016
Tags: fiction, fantasy, politics


Author

Anamadheya
Anamadheya

About
Citizen. Child. Employee. Admirer. Wanderer of worlds. By heart, Storyteller. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Anamadheya


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Anamadheya


Chapter 4 Chapter 4

A Chapter by Anamadheya