Chapter 9

Chapter 9

A Chapter by Anamadheya

The Honda Estate was a hexagonal structure with frosted glass walls and sloping roof held together by a circular dome fanning out like and umbrella. The eaves were lit with soft lanterns which started from the gates to the winding cobbled pathway. The glow encompassed the ornate water fountains at the entrance while the rest of the shrubbery remained in darkness that served as a hiding ground for insects, guard dogs and the mercenaries.

The watchmen trained their wary eyes on the troupe of entertainers whose head was now in deep discussion with the head of security. After a security check, the troupe was given the signal to go ahead. Selene observed the opulent furnishings in the gigantic hall as they were led across to a small set of rooms to change in.

“I heard the last time one of my friends was here, they had an orgy �" messy affairs, those.” One of the girls whispered to Selene.

The headman nodded at Alpha as he handed over a wad of notes. The performers were ushered into a bare room where they set out their costumes and makeup. One of the older women held Selene’s face to keep her still as she applied makeup while the stylist did her hair. Selene maintained a poker face as the woman hummed appreciatively.

Alexander came over as she thanked the women for their work, body glistening under the light. “You did a good job as usual, Mama.” He complimented the woman.

“No thanks needed, dear.” She said, tucking in the roll of cash he offered.

They had assigned the women to lure away the other men. Selene’s sole focus would be to bring in Zed. In preparation for this part of the mission, he had taken her to one of his familiar haunts on Maybar Street for a week and had her observe the women who serviced the clients. He had laughed when she expressed her reservations on stooping so low.

“It’s all set.” He said, squeezing her shoulders in encouragement. “All you have to do is lure him in and send him out. With the way you look tonight, I’d say half our job is done.”

She laughed mirthlessly in response. “I feel cheap. I’m strong enough that I can bind him without having to resort to tricks like them.”

The stylist who worked on her hair pulled on it in response. “Not all battles are won with brute force. If you want to get out of this with the least amount of carnage, this is the way to go. Why do you think Alexander’s standing beside you? If you people went in all guns blazing, it’s going to wake up the whole country. Where would you be then? If you think all this is beneath you because of what we do, then let me tell you we’re not the least bit ashamed of what we do. We do this to survive, unlike those b******s out there paying us �" and sometimes not nearly enough.”

Selene didn’t dare voice anything against her after that. Alexander’s laughter snapped her out of her reverie. “Ignore her, little bird. She’s one of the many whose heart Alpha broke. It’ll be over soon. Besides, Alpha’s standing guard. I’m sure he’ll step in before anything can happen to you.”

Selene highly doubted that.

“I heard your brother’s final transfusion session is coming soon.” He said, trying to distract her as they waited for the men to arrive and be called on.

Selene relaxed at the mention. A smile lit up her face as she nodded. “He’s so full of life after the transfusions. Even my mother seems happier now that she doesn’t have to worry much about him now.”

They were interrupted by Mama calling the first line of performers out. Alexander gave her a hug as he whispered goodbye.

“Good luck, Alexander.” She said, clutching at his arm.

He smiled, kissing her cheek. “Call me Alex �" and wish you the same.”

Selene went to the bathroom and locked in, setting the jars of salt and the runes. She drew out a wide circle with a sun-like figure extending its rays till the perimeter and placed one of the notes in the center. Focusing her energy on the circle, she sought out the voids that were locked portals by concentrating over her mind’s eye and scanning the building for them. Once she found them, she mapped their keys over the runes she had.

When she stepped out of the bathroom, she was met by an expectant Alpha.

“The second act is starting. Anyone who may know you shouldn’t be out there.” He said, talking about the Hondas.

She nodded. “There are three exits �" one is at the balcony through the glass doors in the main hall and two in the last two rooms to the right side of the hall. I’m guessing those are guest rooms Zed’s staying in. I could feel his presence there as I swept the area.”

“It makes for an easier escape for you.” Alpha said as she handed the runes. “I’ll signal for a stand-in for you as we discussed.”

She nodded. Alpha bent down and pressed his cheek to hers as he whispered a wish of good luck in a surprising display of affection. He ran his gloved fingertips over her arms, then her shoulders and then concentrated at her collarbone as he drew a binding circle. She felt the protective barrier radiate under her skin as he sent her out and then stealthily vanished to break the runes locking the portals.

The entertainers had settled between the men as they lasciviously ogled the lithe dancers in their act of striptease. Selene’s group was soon taken over by Zed’s men who pawed at the women in exchange for scrunched up notes. She snagged a tray of drinks, serving the men and Alex, who had his hands full with the Fed accountant who was busy necking him. She pointedly ignored Zed, snatching the last goblet of whiskey for her as she settled with the other entertainers waiting to be called on, ignoring the pointed whispers of the women as she lounged on the carpet spread on the floor and took a sip, thankful for not spitting it out like the first time she had done it with Alex. The very few women she had seen who would do this used it as a show of strength, to be waited on than do the waiting upon.

Zed Shaw held out his goblet for a refill in her direction, pointedly staring at her to fill it as he discussed something with Ardin Jones. Ayman Jones looked at the exchange with amusement.

The girls scrambled to their feet, trying to beat the other as they rushed to fill his cup. Selene pointedly ignored the rush and continued to take in the marble statues and ornate chandeliers adorning the hall. She felt Zed’s hungry stare on her half-naked body. From what Alex had gathered about him from his contacts, his taste was in young girls whom he could break down and tame. She could hear Alex’s voice in her head, telling her to stretch her back as she lay on her stomach. It must’ve been a blasphemous sight, but she refused to think of it lest she lost composure. Her long black hair had been tied in an intricate plait and she felt even more naked without the familiar comfort of her hair covering her back.

Zed’s steel blue eyes hungrily roved over her body, firing up at the challenge. “Fill my glass, won’t you darling?” he called her out.

“Let me do it, patron.” A girl said, trying to get his attention. More girls chimed in, jostling for his attention. He pushed them past and sat next to Selene. She smirked and handed him her goblet. He grabbed her hand and emptied the whiskey. A stare-off ensued as he loomed over her. Selene held her stance as his breath washed over her skin. Alex grinned wickedly as Zed was caught in her trap. Their guesses were further cemented when Zed threw a roll of notes behind him which was expertly caught by Mama.

“See you later, darling.” He smirked as he sauntered away.

Mama’s eyes widened at the amount as she discussed the same with Alpha. Selene idly wondered when had he come back and if everything had worked out.

The act continued with the men taking the women to their rooms and some paying them for a much racier public show. Mama came to Selene and hoisted her up. Alpha joined them as she handed her a jar. Selene rubbed the transparent gel on her neck and near her collarbone as Mama instructed and rubbed the rest on her hands. Alpha watched as the preparations were complete.

“Thanks for the shield back then.” She said.

“It’s a simple protective charm against poisons, drugs and the like. If it weren’t for the charm, you would’ve collapsed the moment that intoxicant dried on your skin.” He said. “You’re being too nervous.”

“I shudder to think of the effect.” Mama said. “You were good, girlie. Are you sure you’re not in the right job?”

“Yes.” She coldly replied.

“Don’t mind her, Mama.” Alpha grinned as she left.

“Look at you, having fun whoring me out.” She grumbled. “I want a nice hot bath when I get back home.”

“Don’t worry, little bird.” He said. “He’ll be on the steps of the police headquarters before you know it.”

“Well what if something goes wrong?” she said. “What if he’s resistant to the intoxicant because he’s pumped himself up with some heavy cocktail of drugs? What if I can’t hold him down? What if….” She shuddered at the alternatives.

“For the sake of your little brother, I hope not.” Alpha said. “We need to go.”

“You wouldn’t.” she said, horrified.

Alpha grabbed her by the arm and led her out down the corridor towards Zed’s rooms.

Selene resisted right in front of the guards posted at the door. “Promise me you wouldn’t.” she resolutely said.

The guards looked in confusion as Alpha backed her against the wall. “All clear?” he whispered.

“Promise me you wouldn’t.” she pleaded.

Alpha looked at her, then the guards, and then back to her. He sighed, resigned. “On my word, I won’t �" all clear?”

She looked into his eyes, trying to grasp at the truth. “All clear” she said, hoping she did the right thing by trusting him.

Alpha informed the guards who knocked the door in a quick succession of raps and then cleared out the space taking Alpha with them. They would be looking out for any alert raised by Zed through the alarm system since he insisted on ‘complete privacy’.

Zed opened the door wearing nothing but a red velvet robe, looking as pleased as a hungry wolf eyeing its prey. Selene walked in as he opened the door further, maintaining a businesslike expression.

She found herself pinned to the door as she stepped in the room and cringed as he nipped and licked at her neck. He growled at her gasps, spurring him on as he ground himself against her body, holding her against the door.

He held her wrists in one hand and ripped the flimsy bodice off her skin and smiled wickedly at her unblemished skin. “How lovely.” He crooned as he nuzzled at her collarbone, pawing at her breasts and running his hand to bring her closer. He let go of her hands and brought his hand behind her back, smiling against her neck as she brought her hands round his shoulders and dug her nails in them. All women are the same, he thought, wanton and lecherous. He lost himself in the exotic musk of the nubile young girl.

The next thing he heard was the angry voices of policemen as they restrained his hands and legs and cuffed them. “We’ve got you now, you flea-ridden dog.” One of them spat while the other called a senior to clear identification.

As he sat for identification under the glaring lights outside the rundown shack of a police station, his ears perked up as the fools gloated about their good fortune when they stayed back to check on an ‘anonymous tip’ and one of the most wanted terrorists of all time happened to land on their doorstep in the dead of the night.

 

Selene collapsed in front of the bonfire Ol’ Bae had started as soon as she had apparated at the base. When the old woman rushed to her and held her up in concern, she must have seen the relief exuding from Selene’s face because she held her close to her chest and thanked the Stars. The rest of the crew reached the base later as she took a bath to scrub the unwelcome feeling of Zed’s hands on her. Soon, the eerie hideout in the middle of the dense forests came alive with the spirit of jubilant celebration.

Alex nudged her shoulder. “Aren’t you the star of the show…” he laughed.

“Go away.” She groaned.

“It does take some getting used to.” He said, resting his head against her shoulder.

“Thank the Stars I’m never doing this again.” She muttered.

She lifted her head to look at the commotion, only to see Alpha sauntering over, basking in the adulation of the girls who had been on their side during the mission.

“The President was pleased.” He said, sitting down next to her.

“We just handed him one of the most wanted terrorists on a silver platter. He better well be pleased.” Alex said.

“The intoxicant worked well. Apparently, he’s been shifted to solitary confinement without a hitch. The news should be out by tomorrow.” Alpha said.

“I still can’t believe it worked so well. I swear I haven’t apparated out a portal faster in my life. I barely remember meeting Wheeler for the exchange.” Selene said.

“He did mention that you looked on edge.” Alpha chuckled. “Nevertheless, it was nothing short of our expectations today, little bird.”

“I’m so glad I never have to do this ever again. Oh, and let’s not forget your threat there. A little support would’ve been helpful.” She glared.

“We both know I’m a man of my word, little bird. Your brother would’ve received the medical support he needs irrespective of the result of today’s mission.” Alpha said.

“Well, it wasn’t what you led me to believe.” She said.

“Consider it… motivation.” He grinned, earning a smack on his arm. He gingerly rubbed at the spot, complaining of bruises.

“Very well, enjoy your victory.” He said to the two. Alex gave him a two-fingered salute as he went to join the others who had turned on the radio and were dancing to the music. They had set it to Radio Empire 101, one of the broadcast stations from the Empire.

Alex tapped his feet to the music, remembering the time when he was at Capital City for a New Year show.

Selene stretched out her feet and let out a sigh. Her face broke out in a relieved smile for the first time in a long time.

Alex nudged her shoulder, smiling.

“I was remembering the Spring Festival back home.” She said.

“Wheeler mentioned you used to live in the Valley.” Alex said.

“My grandfather lives in the Valley. We used to live at the Army Base three hops �" apparation points �" away from Capital City.”

Alex’s eyes widened at that. “Why did you move here then?”

She barked out a harsh laugh.

“I apologize.” He sheepishly said.

“Duty brought us here. My father was posted here and he couldn’t say no. My mother comes from a traditional household from the Agrarian District, so she would go wherever her husband would go like the dutiful wife, even if it meant giving up the luxury of our home back at Army Base.” She said, staring into the crackling flames.

“What about you?” he asked.

“At that time, I couldn’t imagine living away from my parents. My grandfather gave me the option of staying with him and finishing my studies. I chose otherwise.”

“Do you regret it?” he asked.

She smiled ruefully. “I guess I haven’t lived long enough to answer that question.”

The hour changed to bring in slower melodies and people slowly apparated back, congratulating each other on their success. Alpha was nowhere to be seen. Selene guessed he would’ve retired for the night with one of the ladies who were licentiously eyeing him.

“My parents were from the Empire.” Alex started. “My father is the only son of the Vanderlin household in Central District. Mother escaped from the Pleasure District when he promised they would run away together to the Commerce District. She ran out of money waiting for him and then escaped here when she realized he was never coming for her and the handlers from the Pleasure District came looking. Unfortunately she wound up at Maybar Street since she never really bothered to learn any skill-sets and the rest is history.”

Selene wrapped her arms around him. She recollected the map of the Empire, placing Alex’s story with the map. The Valley consisted of the uppermost region of the Empire, the snowy hills for which it was named providing a natural barrier from possible insurgents and fortified with undiscovered minerals and precious metals whose energy served as a dome-like shield over the entire stretch of the Empire to protect from any Alchemist invasions from Illyria. Going downwards, the land was divided into six districts. The Central District remained at the heartland of the Empire, home to the Imperial family at the self-explanatory Capital City, the ministry and the Army Base. The shores at the left housed District Vidya, the education center of the Empire and the Pleasure District below that, beckoning travelers with its shopping districts, entertainment plazas, illustrious teahouses and beautiful courtesans adept providing the best with whatever money could buy. Further down south was the Commerce District which emerged as the trading crossroads of the world. It was said that if you couldn’t find what you’re looking for at the Commerce District, it might not even exist anymore. To the right Central lay the Agrarian District. The largest district of the Empire served as the food basket of the Empire, made fertile by the river Caumari originating from the Valley. Lastly lay District Karta now the Republic of Bantam, bordered by the Commerce District and the Agrarian District. With most of the river water branching out in the Agrarian District providing no real chance of agriculture and the Commerce District already providing a good trade base, District Karta served as the residence and provider of manpower for the rest of the Empire, housing manufacturing units and industries and sheltering migrants from all over the world. With the annexation of Navi Mesa by the Federation, the Mezzalites set ahead to conquer other lands to regain strength and build their own rule. After numerous wars fought and lost, they settled in District Karta where the Federation sought an opportunity and funded their uprisings thus bringing in the separation. Most of the traders pulled out their units from Bantam after the separation towards the borders of Central and some of the Agrarian lands, thus bringing it to its current state.

Coming back to the Pleasure District, if the Feds maintained a culture of euphemisms and labeling everything uncomfortable, the Empire had a culture of nonchalance. The Pleasure District lived up to its name; seeking to present any luxury money could buy to satisfy all the senses. The coastal shoreline held the infamous teahouses and courtesans sought after by the sailors and travelers of the world. It served as the last resort of those with no money and skill before the separation. When the Capital mixed in with the courtesans, it brought in a lot of cases like Alexander who were recognized as illegitimate heirs of the households with the best possible position for them being at District Karta or the Army if they were able to move away from the district. Despite the many efforts of legalization of such establishments, census and taxation, business continued to thrive. Most people who were brought in were either homeless, who fled their countries, bought and sold in trafficking or the poor from the Empire who had no other alternative for employment.

The pain and hardships that Alex’s mother would have faced was unimaginable to Selene �" having fled her only home for all intents and purposes and waiting in the cutthroat Commerce District only to be pushed to the depths of squalor at Maybar Street.

“He has a nice mansion in Central �" married with three daughters.” Alex said.

Selene scoffed. “The mansion has been mortgaged twice. Rumor has it Lady Vanderlin is desperate to marry off her daughter to the highest bidder, even if it means someone from the Commerce District because no household in Central or the Valley would have them even if you threatened to push cyanide down their throats.”

“You seem to know these things too well for someone who’s stayed here for her teen years.” He said.

“Blame my grandfather for that �" he seems to be under the delusion that I’m the Rathbone heir.” She scoffed.

“Tiberius Rathbone doesn’t seem like a delusional man.”

Lord Rathbone isn’t, but my grandfather is.” She smiled.

“I suppose that’s why Alpha brought you in the group.” He said.

“He’s just as delusional as my grandfather �" not that it matters anymore. My brother’s finally getting better. His treatment will be done and the bimonthly health checkups will start soon. Once the doctor gives him a clean bill of health, he’ll grow to be stronger that I am.”

“As true as that may be, Alpha seems to think your powers are just the tip of the iceberg. I’m sure your grandfather �"”

The sound of a high-pitched curse turned their attention to the house. A hastily dressed woman stumbled out and lashed out at an unrepentant Alpha who ran his fingers through his hair.

“I guess he was two-timing again.” Selene commented.

“Maybe she drew the line at a foursome.” Alex said. At Selene’s puzzled expression, he fondly mussed her hair. “Don’t ever grow up, little bird.” He said.

The man in question sauntered out a while later, saying his goodbyes to a couple of girls as they left.

“Let’s hope you don’t drop dead because of your philandering ways.” Alex said. “It wouldn’t be too good for us.”

“What a way that would be to go.” Alpha laughed. “You kids are up late.”

“Alex was telling me how you think I’m invincible.” She said, rolling her eyes.

“As the Rathbone heir, I’d say you are.” He replied.

“I’m no heir �" my brother will be the heir. The word implies a male figure.”

“That’s a lame reason and you know it. Tiberius Rathbone is no fool to not have the little girl who won the Spring Tournament as his heir.”

“That was a fluke.” She countered.

“Spring tournament…?” Alex asked.

“It’s a yearly tournament designed as recruitment for the Imperial Army in the Valley �" with a written test to enter and a knockout tournament. When we were six, Celeste �" my friend �" signed me up on a whim with her as my retainer for the tournament.”

“Feel free to mention that you won.” Alpha said. “The man she defeated is now the commander of the Infantry, answerable to the Emperor and the Supreme Commander.”

Selene glared at him.

“Wait a minute. If you’re that good, why did your grandfather let you come here at all? Surely he could’ve had your father’s posting changed to somewhere better. If you’re to be the heir of a household in the Valley and won a Battle Royale when you were little, surely he’d have some clout in the Imperial Halls.” Alex said.

“My father would never ask that of him �" such an abuse of power. I couldn’t ask my father of that.”

“The meek never inherit the earth, little bird.” Alpha said. “They just get eaten up by the big bad wolves.”

“I can’t believe you won something like that.” Alex said. “They must be grisly things, given how serious the Valley is about things.”

“It’s a long story.” She said.

“We have the time.” Alpha said. “Besides, it doesn’t seem like we’re planning on going anywhere �" might as well get to know each other better.”

Selene scoffed. “Says the mysterious persona who won’t even tell us his real name and keeps his hands covered so that we never see your marks.”

“Maybe I will, someday. For now, we’d rather hear the story of how you took down the current commander of the Empire as a little runt.”

She stared into the flames. Any normal girl would’ve been in bed by now, surrounded by her parents in her home.

“Sure.” She said. “At best it would be a good bedtime story.”


© 2017 Anamadheya


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

80 Views
Added on February 11, 2017
Last Updated on February 11, 2017
Tags: fiction, fantasy, political, hurt, comfort


Author

Anamadheya
Anamadheya

About
Citizen. Child. Employee. Admirer. Wanderer of worlds. By heart, Storyteller. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Anamadheya


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Anamadheya


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Anamadheya