Moments in Grace

Moments in Grace

A Chapter by Andre Waters II
"

Chapter III of WCFL. Ceciline and Sanjesh are drawing closer to their formal greetings, but they've also found true meanings of love and friendship. Lisa also finds herself.

"
“Cec…Cec…” I’m not usually a heavy sleeper, but I needed this sleep. I wasn’t even sure if Cecily opened the gallery today. Lisa continued her efforts to wake me up, “CEC, WAKE UP!” I finally opened my eyes, slowly. “What’s up? What’s wrong?” “Brennan told me I have to get his nephew from school, he threw up.” Brennan is her future husband. She met him, and never looked back, never thought twice on love. “I was wondering if I could bring him back here for a little. Cecily called too, she said she’s keeping the gallery closed, but if you wanna make some cash, you have the key.” I instantly felt awake. I love what I do so I never really work a day in my life, but there are days I need a break from people.
“Okay, and yeah, bring Kyle over, I’ll cook something.” I told her. “Okay cool, I’m leaving now, I’ll let you know when I’m on my way back.” “Okay.” I said, digging my face back into the pillow. Lisa walked out the door. She looked down the street and could help but notice the guy walking into the pizza shop looked very familiar. She thought it was Henrique, but she couldn’t put her finger on it, and she didn’t have the time to waste so she went on to pick her soon to be nephew up.
There was a lot of places to get pizza from in New York, but my friend Richie was an old italian pen-pal from school. He said if I were ever to come to New York, come see him, and he’d make a pizza on the house. His story was as bad, if not worse than mine, in terms of immigration to the states. “Excuse me, I’m looking for Richie Levinelli.” “Right in front of you, man, whatcha need?” That was rather easy. “It’s me, Sanjesh. You’re pen pal.” His face lit up, I can tell he didn’t think I would walk through the doors one day. “Sanjesh? DUDE! Great to meet ya, how ya doing?” “Not bad, man. Just in town on some business work.” I answered him. He wasted no time on starting the pizza. A good, loyal friend, I could tell. “Well dude, that’s great man. Those pen pal letters in school were crazy. Meeting people, learning about different countries, you’re the only one that kept writing me. I’m glad man.” He said. It seems, we share the same mentality. “Me too, man. I always interested in different cultures, and countries outside my own. How’s the business?” “It’s pretty good, it making ends meet, and hopefully soon, I’ll own it. How’s yours?” “Well hopefully within the next year, I’ll be CEO and I’m here now discussing the clothing line going out next year.”
"That’s great man, pretty big position to be in. Wait, are you talking about the 2017 Express Clothing Line?” "Yeah, I’m one of the leads and 5 of my designs are on the line. 2 womens, 3 mens.“ I answered. "Oh man, everybody’s been talking about it, this is supposed to be the biggest line after they stole the show this year.” He said with amazement. “You’re doing big things man, I hope you smash your expected goals next year.” He also added. “Thanks man, it’s been a long time coming.” “You’re pizza will be ready in a sec, bro.” “Okay man." I said, then sat down.
I looked around and noticed all the pictures of New York and Italy. There were other cities too. My pizza was finished. "Alight, as a man of my word, this one’s on the house.” “Smells good, appreciate it, brother, I’ll have to stop by again. "Definitely man, I have a few days off, we could do a boys night. Have some beer, watch the game.” He insisted. It was no trouble to me. “Yeah bro, definitely.” I told him. We exchanged info and goodbyes as I went back to the hotel. My day was at its early end. Thinking of something else to do, I put on the Montreal/Buffalo game. An early hockey matinee.
While I was fumbling the dinner, i had planned, Lisa and Kyle, her future nephew, had walked in. “Cec, I’m back.” “In the kitchen.” I yelled. Kyle came running in as if he was a child in a candy store. He must of missed me after not seeing me in so long. “Ceciline, I missed you. What are you cooking?” He asked. “Hey sweetheart, how are you? I’m gonna let you know when it’s done, okay?” “Okay.” He said. I couldn’t believe how big he got. He was almost up to my waist. I knew he was gonna tower over me by the time he got to high school. Lisa finally walked in the kitchen, after using the bathroom.
“So I may or may have not seen your boo walking into the pizzeria today.” She said, then I jumped, dropping the taco meat on the table, still in the pan, luckily.
“WHAT!?” I screamed. Lisa never sound so calm. “Oh, relax. He’s in town, he probably knows Richie, or maybe his dad. That’s probably where he gets his pizza from when he’s here. You know how well you can plan to bump into him, now?” She had a point, I don’t even know why I overreacted. “No, I didn’t know that, till now.” I said more calmly. “Well, it’s too late now, he’s only here for probably a few days. I think he’s the cooperate chairman in Philadelphia. They tell me stuff, but don’t say names.” “Well aren’t you…” “Fashion model and lead cashier, yes, but they still don’t tell anyone anything anymore.” She said. “Well I hope it’s not just a week.” “I hope so too, you need a man in this lonely home of yours.” said Lisa. I was offended. “Lonely?” I shouted. “Ceciline, you’ve been single for how long? You have a big heart, you’re making bank off your work, and you building a net worth for the ages.” “What does that have to do with me being single, or lonely?” I asked. “You’re building your life, but what good is it if you’re not building it with someone? What good will it do you by yourself? It’s nice now, but sooner or later, you’re gonna want to fill that void. It will wreck you. He’s probably enjoying himself now too, or not. Men tend to want to fill the void later than us, but that doesn’t mean he’s not wanting to just fill it with anyone. The way you two changed the air in that place was just insane. It’s meant to be Cec, take it and run with it, he’s definitely gonna run with you. You don’t even have to run, walk. Just make sure that you’re by each other’s side.” She said. The emotion in her voice, triggered my emotional wreck inside. What she said, spoke to me and then he popped into my mind, followed by a hundred more thoughts. “You’re right Lisa. I’m gonna make this happen.” She smiled and gradually said, “Good, and I’m going to help you.” “Woah there, I don’t need help.” “Um, yeah. You do, and I wasn’t asking. Besides, how else are you gonna get dirt on him. Not that you’ll need it, hopefully.”
I had realized over again, what friends are for at this moment. Good timing too cause my tacos had just finished. “Kyle, you want tacos?” I yelled, and all you heard were footsteps running towards the kitchen. “Can I have five?” He eagerly asked. Lisa and I started to laugh really hard. I had a lot of ground beef and chicken strips so it turned into tacos and fajitas. A early brunch, that filled our stomachs, and cartoons to bring more laughs until it was time for Kyle to go. I let the day go by, watching old shows and laying in my bed with chips, cookies, ice cream, a few glasses of wine and glass of ice tea. I weighed heavily all day on the thought of making this work. I was prepared to start this adventure with him, but wasn't sure if he wanted to do the same with me. Drifting slowly into my slumber, I watched the rest of what I could of King Kong before I my eyes gave way.
Morning had came. I woke up rather early, I wasn’t sure why, but I’m actually glad. I took the extra time to clean up a bit before I left for work. Just as I was finished getting ready, I got a knock on my door. “Who is it?” I shouted. “It’s me, sis.” Mike? He should be all the way in Miami. I opened the door and stood corrected. “Hey, what are you doing here? I thought you were in Miami.” “I finished up my project down there so I was able to come back early. Thought I’d surprise you.” He said. I never really get to see my brother anymore, he’s been all over the world, as required by his job. “That’s great. Uh, this is a bad time cause I have work though.” I told him. “No problem.” He said, “just let me know when you’re off, we can go out to dinner, my treat.” Mike always took care of me, every since we were younger, he was always looking out for me, I was a well protected sister, and I appreciated every bit of it. “Okay, no problem, later bro.” “Later sis.”
I believe I know what is going on at work right now, and I haven’t even walked through the door. The second, I walked in, Cecily, and a few other galleries were getting killed, including mine, which hadn’t opened yet. Cecily ran over to me.
“Ceciline, I’m so glad you’re hear, we’re buzzing and it’s because I closed yesterday, and people were eager to get an early Christmas gift.” She said. I took another look around to realize just how many people were here. For once, I might not love my job so much. “I noticed, I’ll open my gallery to get them started, and I’ll help you until my side’s ready for purchasing.” “Okay, awesome. Thank you, I’ve been getting bombarded for the past hour, and Nicky and Jeff have been buzzing too. Looks like everyone going home with a big bonus today.” Cecily has been way too generous lately, but I won’t question it. She’s seems happy. “Okay, hello everyone. My name is Ceciline Delavonta, I’m am the artist/photographer of the shop, youve  been browsing through. Please keep looking around, and when you’re ready to purchase, you can come to me or my store manager Cecily Milioa, we will assist you immediately. I’ll be in the Milioa Shop located to the right of mine. Thank you, and enjoy the view.”
The time, passed and the gallery slowly, but surely cleared out with all happy faces of the customers. When we were done, Cecily had called for a meeting. We all gathered in the center of the gallery. “Okay team, first thing’s first, I want to congratulate you all on a beautiful job today, handling all the business we got today, grossing over $243,000.” The echoing of us clapping rung out across the building before she continued, “And i want you all to know that’s just the store profit, our total revenue today was $167,300 and we have set a record in this galleries history selling over 124 artworks in a day. I’m proud of all of you, and I want you to enjoy your commissions and get something nice. Sunday, we’re going out to celebrate.” It’s only Tuesday…she’s got something planned for us. She went on, “Before you all go home, I wanna tell you guys a secret, I’ve been holding this for a while now but…I’m expecting, and I’m engaged.” We were all in total shock, she didn’t look like she was pregnant at all, sending our congrats and well wishes to her. She’s never been this happy, I don’t think I’ve ever been that happy. “Thank you guys, so much. Enjoy the rest of your day, and I’ll see you tomorrow. Cec, may I speak to you for a second?” Guess my dinner date with my brother will have to wait.
“Yes.” I said. Cecily had this troubled look on her face, but began to speak, “I just wanna thank you for your help today, and I know we traded blows during your career start, but I want you to know I was wrong. You handled yourself very well today, and I want to reward you.” I couldn’t believe that I was getting this praise from Cecily. I always thought I could handle myself, but not like she does, and I think that’s why she’s apologizing. She underestimated me. “Thank you, Cecily. I really appreciate it.” “I’d like to promote you to Assistant Manager of the store. I see a lot of my younger self in you, You’re improvement to provide work and increasing sales, surely show you keep your customers interested. I’m really proud of you.” This side of Cecily was something out of a movie. I admired it, I embraced it. “Thank you so much, Cec.” I told her. “You’re welcome, and I'm planing this celebration next Sunday, so there's your heads up. Now, you know I got this baby in me so if you see me getting a little moody, don’t take it personal, I’m giving you this position cause I don’t wanna take it out on you guys.” “So you’ll be taking some days off?” “And leaving you in charge. Oh and by the way…” She reach under her desk, and pulled out $2500 dollars. “I made this decision, this morning, your commission is now 25%. It may not be exact for today, but I just wanted you to know you’re own your way. Go get some rest, I’ll see you tomorrow.” She got up and gave me a hug, I smiled and said “Have a good night, Cecily.” and walked out the door.
When I had got home, Lisa was sitting on my step. “What’s up?” I asked. “I forgot my hat.” She said. “I gotta get you a key, how long were you out here?” “Not long, I got out of work, and went home, then remembered, and now I’m here.” “What would I do without you?” I said trying to hold in my laughter. I opened the door and walked in, Lisa followed behind. “So tell me something, she said. We sat in the kitchen and I looked up to give her my attention. ”Brennan and I have been dating for about 4 years now, we have a house, we have two cars, we're engaged, we’ve been building on our future. He called me today and told me he’s not sure of what’s next for us. What does that mean?“ I was as puzzled as she was. "How am I supposed to know?” “That’s right, you haven’t put 4 years in with the love of your life yet.” “Screw you. He’s probably asking you what should we do next for the relationship.” “Yeah but the thing is, a few weeks ago, he’s was talking about having a kid.” My eyes brightened. “Are you ready for that?” I asked. The fear in her eyes already told me the answer, but she still seemed confident. “I mean, I am, but I’ve been modeling my entire adult life, before I met him, and I’m not sure if I want to put my body through that yet.” I looked at her and couldn’t believe what I heard. After she told me to take the risk, she’s feeling a little too risky. My, have the tables turned. “Lisa, you can start your family, you always wanted to have kids when you were ready, and now the time’s right and you’re afraid to lose your body?” “We as future mom’s are though.” She replied, I couldn’t argue. “It’s now or never, and since you’re 26, you’ll be fine. You’re in your prime, take that and run with it, start a family with the love of your life, just because you have a kid doesn't mean it will end your career. Knowing you, you'll stay fit after the berth.”
I remembered that I was supposed to call my brother when I got home but I knew he’d show up soon. I called him on the way home. “I’m sure you and Brennan are gonna be a great parental pair, Auntie Ceciline is right here, always. You gotta take the risk. In this case, it’s a big reward.” I said and I gave her a hug. “Do you still have tacos left?” Lisa said. I laughed and went to the fridge, took out the meat, and put it on the stove to warm it up. “My brother should be here soon he’s taking me out to dinner, are you sure you want a taco?” Lisa thought about it, and said yes. She must of been hungry for something now. I kinda didn’t want her to eat all the tacos though. I got the rest of the taco stuff and set it up for her. I then asked if she was gonna stay here. “Probably till you get back.” “Okay.” There was a knock on the door, It had to have been Mike. I told Lisa I’ll be back later, and left out the door.
Lisa sat there for a second thinking of her future with Brennan, and starting a family. She was thinking of calling him and telling him that she was ready to take the next step, but she put her phone down, and made a taco. She wanted to wait to tell him, then another knock came. She answered, it was Richie. “Hey Lisa, is Ceciline home?” “No she just left out. Why, what’s up?” She asked. “I was going to take Velona out Friday, and thought she’d want to join. Don’t tell her, but I have a friend, and I thought I could hook them up.” He said. “I’ll let her know when she comes back, and don’t worry, your secret is safe. It’s about she got out and met someone.” “Alight, cool. I’ll see ya around.” “Bye Richie.” She closed the door and thought to herself if it had been who she thought it was, but she couldn’t draw the conclusion, so she left it alone, and called Brennan. She told him what she’d been afraid to risk, she told him that she wasn’t afraid anymore, and the look in her eyes showed that she was planning to let go of the fear she held.
Mike was often busy traveling and I never got to see him much after college, but he made time to come see all of us. “So what’s new with ya, Cec?” He asked, I was anxious to tell him about my promotion today. “I’ve been making a lot of sales at the gallery, I actually got a promotion today.” “Really? That’s awesome, sis.” He said, then added “What else?” “Nothing really. I’ve been trying out some new recipes, and Lona came over this weekend. It surprised me when she told me that she never had moms roast.” I said. He looked at me, then put his eyes back on the road after letting out a laugh. “I remember when you first had the roast, you couldn’t stop eating it. You took that first bite, and lost it.” “Shut up, did I really?” Mike continued to laugh then gathered himself. “She had to trick you in thinking she was making something else, every night she made it. If you knew, you’d try to sneak to the oven to take it out.” I looked at him in disbelief, and remembered when I told Lona how she made it, but couldn’t remember sneaking to the oven. “No way.” I said. “Okay, wanna visit dad? He’ll tell you.” He replied.
“Oh, hey. We’re here.” He took me to a place that looked pretty expensive, but when we sat down and opened the menu, everything wasn’t as pricey as I thought. A few minutes went by and Mike looked a little shaken up. I could tell he was nervous about something, but I didn’t want to ask him.
“Sis, I gotta tell you something.” Said Mike. I wasn’t sure where this was going, but I went along. “Yeah, shoot.” I told him. “I’ve met someone, a woman out in Argentina.” I wasn’t prepared at all to hear that, as happy as I was, i knew what was coming next. “That’s great, Mike.” “Thanks, but here’s the kicker. She wants me to move there. I’m not sure how this is gonna work but she wants to come to the US but for now, she has things she’s finishing up down there, and wants me there with her. I don’t know what I wanna do.” He explained. I took a minute, then told him, “Mike, if you like her enough, and she makes you feel like a better version of yourself, you should go and start your love life with her. And if you do, make sure you bring her back so I can meet her.” He looked at me as if he were puzzled, unsure if that was what I actually said. He gathered himself, and said, “Ya know sis, I wasn’t prepared or expecting you to say that, but I’m glad because that what I needed to hear.” “Good.” I told him. “The decision is yours to make, but if you really want to be with her, you should take the chance, be with who makes you happy.” I said, smiling, then continued eating my food. “You’re right, thanks sis.” He said. “But here’s the kicker…I’ll be gone for about 2 years.” I’m so glad I swallowed what I had in my mouth, or it would have found its way to a napkin. The wine, however, made it down my throat rather quickly. “2 Years? I thought by finishing up some things, you meant something small, taking about a few months.” I didn’t know why, but I felt like he was leaving for 10 years, when he said only 2. “I’ll be back in no time, Cec.” He said. “So you are going?” I asked. He took a good minute in deep thought before saying he didn’t know yet. But I was behind him with whatever decision he made. We finished dinner, and left the restaurant.
He dropped me off at my house, and before I got out the car, he grabbed my hand. “If I do go, I’m gonna have a going away party. I’ll let you know in about a week.” “Is that when she wanted you to let her know?” I asked. “I told her I’ll let her know in a week.” He said. I knew he had strong feelings for this woman, but Mike always was unsure if this was his path or not. “Don’t think too hard, Mike. I love you.” I told him. “Love you too, sis.” I gave him a hug, and watched him drive off. I walked in my home, only to find that Lisa wasn’t there, she was gone. I walked into the kitchen and found a note, it must have been from her. 
“Cec, I’m sorry I didn’t call and tell you, but I was in a hurry. I came to terms, and found myself not afraid anymore. I went home to Brennan and well, ya know what I’m going to do. I think this is going to be a big change in my life, his too. Thank you for giving me the advice, ya know I love you girl. By the way, Richie wants you to hang out with him and Lon, Friday. You should, they really want you to join them. P.S: I took the last of the tacos.”
I wasn’t even upset that she took the tacos, I was so proud that she did what I’m so afraid of doing myself. I was so unsure that he’s seriously into me, but I guess Friday will be a night to clear my head.
This Thursday morning was rather rough. The sun was bright, with clear skies, shining through the window. The rays beamed over my closed eyes as I awoke to the blinding light, unprepared. I let out a slight grunt. My phone rang, I answered quickly, "Hello... Yes, this is he... I'll be there." Looking at the time, as I ended the call, I gasped at the time, 10:22. I was going to be late, if I didn't hurry. I rushed my morning routine, taking a quick shower, clothing fast, skipping the shave. I stopped by a coffee shop and grabbed a cup of joe. I made good time, but was still late for the meeting. That woman, that works here and knows her was here as well.
She approached me, "Mr. Henrique." She said.
"Yes."
"I see you have some designs in the new line for next year." She implied.
I could tell this was her way of evaluating me, seeing if I was really interested in her friend. She had nothing to worry about. "I have a few designs for each season's release." I explained further. Her interest began to peak. "Is that so? I'll have to let my friend know about this. We love express clothes." She said. "You and your friend are making a great choice. By the way, she's..." "cute?" Finishing my sentence, I had figured I was walking into one of her setups. "Yes, very cute." She said. "I think she is a remarkable, hardworking woman." She was not expectant of that coming from me, but she couldn't do much else now, but agree. "She is...very loyal too." She added. Not that it was what I was waiting or expecting to hear, it was what I hoped I would hear, but who am I to go off a friends word? With all due respect, it was action I needed more than words, but the feeling I got from her friend, gave me a good feeling about her.
The meeting had officially started as Lenny walked into the studio. "Alight, thank you all for coming. We all know why we're here, and we want to keep this meeting brief. The 2017 release is drawing closer with each day. We still have one design that has yet to hit the sowing machines. Once that's done, which should be by the end of this year, we'll be all set to go." Any questions?" No one raised a hand, or spoke up. Lenny continued, "Alright, we have a huge inventory of the clothing, already made, most of which are for the later releases. We should be expecting them to hit stores around January ninth, so we can have the third thru the first of the year to run the tables and finish up this year, as well, if need be." We were all content with the deadline, but I had a few designs to be sent in by then. I was unsure of how well this would effect my time with the woman, I've yet to know. I fear that this will be more short lived than it already is.
12:34, business was steady. Cecily was watching over me today, my first day as Assistant Manager. I never been more anxious in my life. I'm lying, walking by him was the most anxious moment of my life and if we greet formally, it will be surpassed. "I like it." The customer said. "I'll take it." "Okay Great, if you can come with me, we'll take care of the price, and you'll be good to go." I replied. Cecily looked on as if she was pleased. As rough as the road has been between her and I, I wouldn't let her think twice about her decision because she showed me how humble she was, and she's always seen the humbleness in me. Another satisfied customer left the gallery, and my shop was getting empty. When someone's shop starts to clear, we usually close up until we get more work done. Cecily began to notice mine and pulled me aside. "You've really been selling a lot of work. Your shop is nearly empty." She said. "I noticed, Cec. I usually wait until you notice to closed down." "I know, but that's not why I pulled you aside." She said. I was confused. "I wanted to tell you that as Assistant Manager, you can add new work without closing down. Only thing is, you'll really have to balance that out." Cecily added. I was puzzled as ever. "I don't follow." I said. Cecily shook her head and laughed, "Ah Cec, you can go out on your days off the gather photographs and when you come in for a shift, hang them up while you're open instead of having to come in and reset your shop. I know that's harsh on everyone else but I'm working on something to get them running better. Anyway, close up and get going." "You're closing early?" I asked. "Yes, only because I just wanted to see how you would handle yourself today. I was really impressed. That's why i did tell Nicky and Jeff to come in today" She said. I closed up, and took the rest of the day off, still confused as to why I'm leaving early.
I returned home, no Lisa, Lon, or Rich at my door. A night of peace and quiet, I've come to endure in. I'm okay with days and nights like this, sometimes too okay. I had a feeling my phone wouldn't stay quiet for long however. I was taking a shower when it rang, but it wasn't with me. When I had finished getting dressed, I checked to see who it was that called me. It was Lon, she left me a text as well.
"Hey sis, I'm hanging with Richie tomorrow night and thought you'd wanna join us. Hit me up when you see this."
It's clear that it's a must I join them I guess. I figured it would make me feel better about the things I've heard from my brother, the feeling of my mother inside, and the thought of Lisa letting go of her fears. I felt it was time. It was time I took a chance on what I felt in my heart would be real. He's not going to end up like past mistakes, he's going to be the man, I've been waiting for.


© 2018 Andre Waters II


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

Andre Waters II
Take a moment to reflect on the moments in your life that filled you with grace. I hope you enjoy this chapter.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

60 Views
Added on December 17, 2016
Last Updated on December 3, 2018
Tags: WillCharmforLove, WCFL, CecilineDelavonta, SanjeshHenrique, LisaGrinn, love, romance, AndreAqua, VelonaDelavonta


Author

Andre Waters II
Andre Waters II

Philadelphia , PA



About
I've used warning signs, focal points and makeshift gauges. I've moved further than I ever thought I could, but I'm still missing a lot more than I thought I would. That doesn't stop me from moving cl.. more..

Writing