SPIDERS

SPIDERS

A Story by Stan Lee
"

...................................

"


"Spiders." She thought.


"Spiders." She said aloud.


"Spiders." She wrote.


"Spiders, spiders, spiders. What a stupid start to a story." She thought, looking blankly at her note pad.


Leaning back in her creaking office chair, she sharpened her pencil carefully over the bin by her desk. A deep booming grandfather clock chimed midnight from the hallway. As the last echoing stroke faded she leaned back over her pad and started drawing..... a spider.


It was the best drawing she'd ever done. The spider stood on the page, it's furry legs poised. It's beady eyes stared out at her with an expression of greed and excitement.


Then, it jumped at her.


And bit her.


And killed her.


Her spirit departed as a wisp of smoke, curling up toward the ceiling and then twisting through an open window. It floated on icy cold air currents until one dark night it saw an artist hard at work in his studio.


A clock struck midnight as the wisp curled in under the door and around the artist's neck.


"Spiders." he thought.

 

© 2016 Stan Lee


Author's Note

Stan Lee
Appreciate ANY Feedback! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like how you have this style with some of your stories, where you open with describing one image, then gradually reveal the bigger picture in quick sudden bursts, leading up to, revealing an even that the reader did not expect to see. It makes your work fun to read:) ..I would almost describe it as a literary roller coaster ride :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Literary roller coaster ride sounds pretty good to me! Thanks for your comments and kind review. Muc.. read more



Reviews

Good stuff- I was waiting for the punchline or the explanation and then it jumped out at me! Clever writing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

:) Glad you enjoyed the punchline. Thank you for reading and reviewing.
Spider, spiders, spiders. What a good way to start a story.
Great job on this one smiley face :) It took me three months but I finally wrote my review. Ohhh yeah.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

oooh yeah! Thank you Dante! Glad you liked it. :)
The spirit of writers reincarnated in spiders, well done.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

I always enjoy reading what other writers make of my stories. :) Thanks for reading and reviewing Mr.. read more
Philip Muls

8 Years Ago

Please call me Philip
The spider and your writing spring from out unexpectedly. I always love the twists in your stories. Great piece Andronicus :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your encouraging review Captain Rilen. I'm so glad to hear that you like the t.. read more
Great metaphor for the creative muse. It does sometimes jumps up and bites you.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

That's true too. Thanks for reading & commenting Robert. :)
You're absolutely original and that's the best thing about your writings! :D

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much Vernika. That's very kind of you to say so. Thanks for reading and reviewing :)
UGH! I found a spider in my bed the other day, and I'd only just started to get over that, and then I read this! Great story, your description of the spider is very vivid, a bit too vivid actually... :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Ohh... was it a big one? Thanks for your review Viv. I wasn't sure whether to add more to the descr.. read more
Brief yet very imaginative! I love the escalation of events and the simple description. :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Thank you Moody. I'm glad you liked it. Thanks for reading and reviewing. :)
you have a style all your own, Andrea! I know a twist is coming but it's never what I expect.
I'm jealous of your ability to craft a fiction with a handful of words. the clock is a nice touch.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

LOL. Woody, you too, have a style all of your own! Thank you ever so much for your kind and insightf.. read more
I like how you have this style with some of your stories, where you open with describing one image, then gradually reveal the bigger picture in quick sudden bursts, leading up to, revealing an even that the reader did not expect to see. It makes your work fun to read:) ..I would almost describe it as a literary roller coaster ride :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Literary roller coaster ride sounds pretty good to me! Thanks for your comments and kind review. Muc.. read more

3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1462 Views
30 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 16, 2016
Last Updated on May 8, 2016

Author

Stan Lee
Stan Lee

About
I've turned RRs off for now because I'm really behind. I have 50 to do! Hope to get to them... eventually :) “If only you could sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; ho.. more..

Writing
The Companion The Companion

A Story by Stan Lee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Mortality Mortality

A Story by Rhia Barton