The State of a Mind

The State of a Mind

A Poem by Anima Inspired

 

Someone told me once
that inspiration is a state of mind,
 
and I suppose I believed it
at the time,
 
believed that when people grew older
they understood things with some innate
wisdom that children with untied shoes
and awkward limbs simply could not grasp,
concepts too ornate and well thought out
to be anything but reality,
 
but now I’m awake, some ten years later,
and the world seems a little more cruel.
 
I find no solace in exhilaration,
no peace in the efforts of the sunset,
and no rhythm in the sounds of crashing waves.
 
I wonder, over a cup of coffee,
where my inspiration has gone,
or if I even had any to begin with,
because the soul can only tell
so many stories before it reveals too much.

© 2008 Anima Inspired


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Interesting, there doesn't seem to be any lack of inspiration as I read. But in any case, I think that inspiration comes when the mind and the body...and perhaps the spirit are on the same level together and you allow inspiration to settle in on the peace that you feel on the inside. On that note, it is a state of mind, and in your poem you show a situation where the peace isn't found on the inside quite nicely. As if inspiration is blocked. And the poem certainly reflects that theory if we take it on that aspect.
I think inspiration has a fond attachment to this piece. =)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I loved that poem, maybe because I am older I can tell you that it goes like a wave, well I can talk for myself... when you are young you enjoy anything from the first time, excited from every sunset, or dawn, from the first date, first kiss, everything is new and lovely. When you are 10 years older, as on your 20's, which I assume thats around your age, you still enjoy anything but in more calm and easy way, you lose a bit of the teen excitments and you learn to love things in deeper way. On your 30's and 40's you start to learn to love again the things that excited you as a teen , cause you miss them, You start to love the sunsets again, to walk on the bach, to enjoy a kid laugh etc.... its like a wave movment , you never stop to feel the inspiration , you just feel it in diffrent ways.... Great poem , thank you Yossi

Posted 15 Years Ago


Very intriguing and delving in its nature, your words ring with a sense of truth
and understanding that succeeds in identifying what it means to be inspired.
Your writing is very impressive and has a way of stirring the heart and soul.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Wow...this gives me chills, it speaks to me. I love the way you it seems to me that you saw others who gave you advice as wise and thought that it grew naturally with time but as the poem progresses you see that wisdom and inspiration are individual. You have to find your own-and at the close it feels to me like you don't want to share your inspiration because you are scared there won't be any left for you, that you may run out. Trust me with a mind like yours-that's not possible.

I know that 10 different people can read one piece and find 10 different meanings-and that is mine.

I love it.
Thanks for sharing!

Posted 15 Years Ago


Things doesn't get easier as you grow older. Yes, you do get to think differently about things that you may have worried about as a child, but other things (more cruel, as war etc.) instead occupies your mind.
We can only try to remember all the beauty when we fall into negative thoughts...
great job, it got my attention after reading just a few lines

Posted 15 Years Ago


I wonder, over a cup of coffee,
where my inspiration has gone,
or if I even had any to begin

Yes, it is there you have it sometimes it just gets blocked~

there's always a story to be told as imagination will take you everywhere

by staying tuned in harmony with the soul ,heart and mind,inspiration will surface

~WeLL donE my friend~Fran Marie

Posted 15 Years Ago


Philosophically, I differ with your opinion. I think it is life's purpose to reveal everything possible, and to see everything possible which others reveal to us. I especially think it is a poet's job to reveal everything the poet knows and learns and discovers about life. They hold up their own life, and the lives of those around them, to the scrutiny of us all, that we might all know more and learn more, and in the joy of mutual discovery, there is only one thing, the beauty of love (not necessarily romantic love, but love with each and every living creature - the love of all and everything which we are alive to express, feel and share). Let me share with you a different belief. I belief that inspiration is a state of the heart, a state of emotions infused with the electric charge of intimacy shared as completely as it can be. Passion is intense, it is inspired, it is shared, it is felt, it is life lived fully. To live otherwise is to negate one's heart's desire.

Philosophy aside.

You are revealing a great deal here, and it is brave to reveal. It is frightening too. Revealing opens up the possibility of rejection. But, truth be told now, have you ever experienced someone reveal so much to you that you were repulsed and ran away from them never wanting to talk to them again? I haven't. I like your bravery. I like your willingness to strip yourself emotionally bare at times and let everyone in - and when you do it, I am not sure you know that you are. But that is your gift, to reveal, to bare yourself, and let others grow, learn, and become more human because of your beautiful humanness.

Have another cup of coffee tomorrow.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Wow. What inspired this piece? (wink)

I understand completely what you are saying, here. Innocence lost, reality is harsh, how can we be inspired by such ugliness in the world.

By looking beyond it and finding beauty. Somewhere. Anywhere. It's there.

The last stanza is my favorite.

"because the soul can only tell
so many stories before it reveals too much" .... indeed.

Excellent write!

Posted 15 Years Ago


It's true what they say "Ignorance is bliss", when we are kids we have such an innocent look at life that anything is possible but to young to know what to do with it or be taken seriously then when we get older and the knowledge is upon us we are jaded by how life really is and hinders our efforts. A powerful piece or writing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


The death of innocence
wonder is torn from us
bloody footsteps on the road

Inspiration can be dark too can't it ;)
I think you just inspired me
Thank you

Posted 15 Years Ago


I think right before you find inspiration in anything from love to pain, in a blade of grass with gentle dew resting on it; You must find an inspiration that meets in your core were mind body and soul meet.
I agree with Augustine that there is so much inspiration in your beautifully written piece here that stirs
something magical in me. I think that there are times when we are out of balance emotionally, and spiritually, but when you feel it coming back together it places you in such a euphoric state (mentally).
I can't wait to read your next piece that comes through you after that happens. I enjoy the way your mind creates such wonderful song/poesies. I am not worried at all.
Just read what you have written when not feeling centered, grounded or inspired.
Breathe...
~because the soul can only tell
so many stories before it reveals too much.


Posted 15 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

678 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 30, 2008

Author

Anima Inspired
Anima Inspired

Sunny California



About
RECENT NEWS: I'm proud to say that two of my pieces "The City" (a collection of Haiku) and "Jazz" will be featured in the Boston Literary Magazine's Fall issue. It's a great journal with very respon.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


REAL LIFE REAL LIFE

A Poem by Windy