A Bird's Eye View

A Bird's Eye View

A Story by Anniebugg
"

In the animal kingdom sometimes it's a matter of who's the boss. And sometimes it's a matter of apathy.

"

Wings frantically flapping, hovering above his perch, the tiny sparrow gracefully touches down.  A quick look to his right, quicker to the left.

Peck.

His head snaps up, left, down.

Peck.

He is joined by a brother, one who mimics him. Now they both peck. Another comes. And then another until the bird feeder is overflowing with a hyper-alert, grey and brown mass.

Something looms in the distance, closing in. Nineteen speed off through the air. Tiny feather-propelled missiles bound for the shelter of Heavenly Bamboo. She arrives with grandiose grace. A left-over sparrow is shoved aside by the callous cardinal. She hops along the ledge to intimidate a sparrow who dares to continue pecking. Her tactic has worked. She has no need to flight check the sparrow as the last and boldest remains for her to contend with.

Peck.

Where is the fear? A quick look around the yard to see if other birds have noticed her waning credibility.  Oh yes. There are spies. The sparrow goes on pecking. Dissension simply will not do.  A chirp to alert those birds that she is onto their covert activities. An earnest plan of action must be employed. Lift off the ledge. Hover briefly. Ascend to the rooftop. She quickly scans the landscape to confirm her recognition.  The cardinal is paramount. The sparrow goes on pecking.

Chirp.

The cardinal, authoritative, dependable, righteous, is not to be disgraced. With renewed enthusiasm she darts back to the ledge vigorously clawing her way over to the sparrow.

 Peck.

The sparrow meets the hardened gaze of the antagonized cardinal.

 Peck.

Enough.


She slowly, majestically, spreads her wings, lifts slightly off the ledge, backs up two bird lengths and rams the sparrow, beak first. The little bird falls soundlessly to the ground. He is perfectly still, faintly breathing. In and out.  Still. The cardinal has proven her prowess. She is supreme. Undeniably amazing. She is….

The sparrow’s body begins twitching. His feathers ruffle and fluff. His wings flap once, twice and he stands. The cardinal watches with interest, the little bird seems incredible. She c***s her head to the side, this way, then that. The sparrow is still for seconds.

 Peck.

The cardinal lifts off the ledge of the bird feeder, flies down to the ground, flaps her wings, c***s her head, and lunges at the sparrow, hesitates and recants.


 And flies into the sun.

© 2012 Anniebugg


Author's Note

Anniebugg
I realize the picture shown is a male cardinal while the story features a female, but he's so much prettier and this guy actually looks like my star behaves.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love to bird watch, especially in the early mornings with a cup of coffee in hand. The spacing you use and occasional "peck" is effective in conveying the herky-jerky bird movements. Very nice, enjoyable poem.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Anniebugg

11 Years Ago

Thanks very much, Sam. Just as you described, I tried to convey the quick movements of the birds as .. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Mic
Am a bird lover as well, and would find it hard to think of one more beautiful than the cardinal.

Love the tenacity of the sparrow in your story. Could easily project visions of David and Goliath or the rise of any little man from the throes of oppression, but I like birds and bird stories. And I like this one.

Very well done, and I'll remember it watching them while having coffee in the morning (and I'll keep an eye out for the queen). Thank you for the enjoyable read!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Anniebugg

11 Years Ago

Thank you, Mic. David and Goliath, yes. I don't think there was a winner between the 2 birds but the.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

189 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 2, 2012
Last Updated on November 2, 2012

Author

Anniebugg
Anniebugg

AR



About
I'm an old hippie with 3 grown sons and 6 grandchildren with 1 more on the way. My career was always motherhood so I never experienced the business world other than to have several menial jobs here an.. more..

Writing