1. Cave Art

1. Cave Art

A Chapter by Anonymous Shadow

Cave Art: The History

Books have been written about this topic, and I plan to do the same but in just a few paragraphs. Cave art is usually accepted as being art, both paintings and sculptures from Paleolithic, Mesolithic, and Neolithic eras; this is more commonly known as the Stone Age. Usual themes include women, animals, human hands, and shapes; but those in Australia and Africa tend to also include humans, although European and Asian art tends to avoid humanity in art. The reason and meaning behind such beautiful art is unknown; the thirty thousand years of this type of art is too long ago to know for sure, but most agree on hunting, religion, or story telling. Some art includes animals that were extinct at the time of painting.

 

Cave Art: Example One

Lascaux, an intricate cave in France, has a beautiful collection of cave art. It may not be the best preserved, nor the most detailed, nor the most well known. The art in this cave is exceptional. With seven rooms all covered in horses, bison, auruchs, feline animals and more, little is known about it. The pictures, some say, tell the story of the animals. Access to the caves is limited, although this has preserved the art. I do believe it could be seen as a primitive picture book of sorts; it is a good idea to mention at this point, that this was before farming and settled communities.

 

Bibliography

http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcnat/lascaux/en/ - Includes a virtual tour with stunning close ups of the art
http://www.accd.edu/sac/vat/arthistory/arts1303/PALNEO.htm - Includes more of the history of cave art
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_painting - Not entirely comprehensive, but does give the basics



© 2009 Anonymous Shadow


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

197 Views
Added on June 14, 2009
Last Updated on June 14, 2009


Author

Anonymous Shadow
Anonymous Shadow

AK



About
I'm Shadow, 19, and live in the US. My work is dark, adult, depressing, gothic, but apparently is good enough to post; I tend to disagree with that last part occassionally, but I do sometimes back dow.. more..

Writing