13. Victorian

13. Victorian

A Chapter by Anonymous Shadow

History

The VIctorians were possibly the best self improvers of history. Constantly trying to better themselves, their literature shows morality playing a huge role, even in the lives of those who did not follow religion, as Middlemarch shows. Also during this period, children's education was mandatory in Great Britain; this sparked the first ever children's literature. Fans of this so-called "nonsense" literature included Queen Victoria and Oscar Wilde. Yet, it was not just England that changed. Across the globe, the British Empire was growing, and the aftermath of the French Revolution was truly showing.  Still, certain literature was banned such as Les liasons dangerouse. During this Age of Concealment, a variety of literature genres emerged; from the first detective novel, to heavily Gothic literature, to pastoral and aesthetic literature, each piece has its own place in history.

Example One: Edgar Allen Poe
Example Two: RD Blackmore
Example Three: Alexandre Dumas
Example Four: Mary Ann Evans
Example Five: Charlotte Bronte
Example Six: Bram Stoker
Example Seven: Wilkie Collins
Example Eight: Leopold von Sacher-Masoch
Example Nine: John Keats
Example Ten: Alfred Lord Tennyson
Example Eleven: Oscar Wilde



© 2009 Anonymous Shadow


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

100 Views
Added on June 14, 2009
Last Updated on July 3, 2009


Author

Anonymous Shadow
Anonymous Shadow

AK



About
I'm Shadow, 19, and live in the US. My work is dark, adult, depressing, gothic, but apparently is good enough to post; I tend to disagree with that last part occassionally, but I do sometimes back dow.. more..

Writing