Night Balm

Night Balm

A Poem by April Child
"

A poetic lullaby :)

"

 

NIGHT BALM

 

Turn off the light

succumb to the night

crawl into its womb

lay foetal and warm

curtain falls on the day

troubles melt away

reality fades into reverie

 

Feel the angels light tread

massage your head

feet weightless as

lovers first kisses

they frolic and soothe

so deftly they move

wings flutter creating night breezes

 

Celestial perfume

hanging mist in the room

each breath coats

your throat in honey

feathered wingtips

caress your eyelids

hypnotic though babies breath soft

 

As your mind forms words

thoughts turn into birds

of paradise and

quickly take flight

catching hold of a cloud

pulling it down

your wing drawn carriage awaits

 

Let your fluffy cocoon

waft you up to the moon

lick its surface

of lemon ice pop

visit worlds afar

feast on shooting stars

that fizzle and tingle your tongue

 

Til the sun starts to peep

pull you gently from sleep

surfing vapour trails and

spiralling dream thermals

beams kiss open your eyes

you look up to the sky

coloured birds heading for the horizon

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2009 April Child


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Anorak comments first: like 'turn off' as it is a perfect reversal from the usual. Also like verb starts and you have 'feel' and 'let' lower. I also like the rhyme at the top of each verse, which is like a little flourish. The first verse leads the reader along as you set the scene artfully and end with the lovely 'reality fades into reverie'. I reckon that's the point of most art, films, novels etc...a bit of relief from IT, THAT, monstrous reality. So almost everyone alive will know the mood you are evoking. The second verse is a sort of spell verse, and is really delicate, soft and sesuous...a sort of mental stroking process. 'There, there, sorry mind, goose feather down.' 'Night breezes' and 'celestial perfumes' are beguiling luxurious. OK I am enthralled by now...and then you the best lines, for me, are in verse four which is a sort of vision of subconsious creativity as you nail down with real words on a real page an event that is straight from a subconscious state. And then verse five backs up four as three backed up two and we get to lick the moon, marvellous! Verse six lands the trip in a gentle way leaving a feeling that the escape has done the sleeper a power of good, but there is a sad feel to the image of the birds vanishing. But the verse with its 'surfing vapour trails' and 'spiralling dream thermals' matches verse two for originality...in fact 'spiralling dream thermals' is my favourite line. So the whole thing ends strongly and leaves your reader with a pleasant sigh of satisfaction. It's just a beautiful word trip.

Posted 16 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.



Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114

Reviews

//this poem has so much imagery! I love the subject matter, the tone and that wing drawn carriage!! Barbara

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wonderful imagery. Very soothing and melodic- I thought it was almost trance- like. Seriously enjoyed it! Thanks

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Just like the title of your exquisite write, your poetic whispering sensual words have the effect of calming, soothing, and comforting the reader. A lullaby of extremely gifted talent.

Definitely has that hummmmmmmmmmmmm factor!

God's Blessing
Phillozofee

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I love the sporadic imagery, it really is like dreaming, jumping from one abstract to the next in a soothing and smooth manner. Favorite thought, "lemon ice pop". Mmmm, delicious! This truly is a beautiful poem, no doubt.

Have a nice day!

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Simply satisfying...'catching hold of a cloud pulling it down your wind drawn carriage awaits...'

I'm not normally in need of a lullaby but this is an amazing collection of soft, gentle sounds, of visions of sugar plums all around.

Wonderful work, April. I hope you do something with this child...;)

Daniel

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Ahhhhh, this is beautifull and soothing
'lick it's surface of lemon ice pop...visit worlds afar feast on shooting stars'
That is really adorable and I agree with previous that this would be an adorable children's book with illustrations
Nice read
J.P.O.et

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

well that just calls for a beer and a hot tub....
toodles and ty

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

How lovely .. such gentle thoughts and images .. beautiful ....

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Your "Night Balm" has beckoned me to enjoy the heights of the flight you describe deliciously and I don't ever want to return from this slumber! What a soothing and beautiful poem!

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Again, I feel slightly off balance, a littleheaded, after reading your work...truly beautiful! Each verse more beautiful, or at least just as beautiful, as the one before it! No way for me to even pick a favorite stanza as they are all my favorites! Good flow, good imagery, taking me to the edge of my seat...whatever will she say next? What pure passionate words will she place upon this stark white screen? Wow. Totally wonderful reading! Pure ectasy in word play!

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

706 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on February 19, 2008
Last Updated on April 28, 2009

Author

April Child
April Child

United Kingdom



About
I love words and I like to write poems. Sometimes words just come and I don't know where from but I write them down anyway. There's something very powerful in the written word. It shows you where y.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..