Pebble of Peace

Pebble of Peace

A Poem by April Child
"

A humble gift. It's the little things...

"

If I could bring you anything  

it would be a pebble

small enough to fit your palm 

the hue of evening’s dusky skies 

smoothed by years of soothing tides 

radiating suns warm rays 

inside I’d place the lulling 

sound of gentle lapping waves 

a glowing orb of peace and calm 

an antidote to all things bland 

a landscape that fits in your hand 

to carry in your pocket.

© 2009 April Child


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love this! I carry such a stone, washed up to the beach, just a piece of a much larger shell but soft, well worn, smooth, and full of life, and promise, and magic somewhere. I have had it in my pocket for many years now. And I give such stones, as offers of hope, encouragement, friendship, and love. What a great write, April! Thank you for sharing this with me.

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Re-read... a classic. My favorite line.. "a landscape that fits in your hand, to carry in your pocket". I have two such pebbles, that I hold from time to time when I'm feeling a bit down and get lost in the sound of "soothing tides" and "gentle lapping waves"... a reassuring rhythm.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Well I was drawn to this because "Peace" is my actual birth name.

The poem has all the natural beauty of the simple miracle of life.

AND, dig this: classic Aries writer Samuel Beckett wrote a lot of stories where pebbles in pockets, or even to suck on, of all things, figured prominently. His slant was quirkily absurdist, in contrast to the magic talismanic mode. Or maybe it was just another form of magic, finding offbeat humor in the simplicity. Substitute for money, maybe. ;-)

Of course, I like your heart warmth context the best. And your poem is elegantly written, utterly charming. I just thought you'd find the Beckett sidebar amusing.

Cheerz!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like this poem. Its a happy poem. Kinda brightens the day and humbles the good heart a bit.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What an incredible offering of soothing care. You take love and place it in all the little things, which is really the only place where it resides! Very nice. - EllisD

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gorgeous poem, mimicking in verse the sound of the sea, the soothing of the waves, sand soft between toes caressing worry and doubt from unshod feet. I want one of those pebbles. Got a spare?

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I find such beauty in simplicity which may be why I enjoyed this poem so much. Clearly, this poet walks through life with eyes wide open and relays to us so eloquently her observations. She sees, but not only with her eyes. This is just lovely. I look forward to reading more of your work.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

How sweet and pure. Your feelings put into words amaze me !

A.M.




Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

DAMN! This is one amazing poem. It's amazing how sometimes the most simple of things are the most beautiful. Stones carry their own vibrations and emotions with them and the fact that they are gifts of the earth grounds those who carry them. Beautiful and inspiring words.


Brette

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is absolutely stunning, April!!! Such a poignant simplicity and beauty that brings such an immeasurable sense of peace... I have missed your writing so much!

Craig

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

You left me a pebble on my page and I thank you for the lovely gift. I love stones and pebbles, and words. my Grand daughters and I collect them, give them as gifts, treasure them and save some in the bottoms of our jewel boxes.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

835 Views
26 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 6 Libraries
Added on June 6, 2008
Last Updated on April 28, 2009

Author

April Child
April Child

United Kingdom



About
I love words and I like to write poems. Sometimes words just come and I don't know where from but I write them down anyway. There's something very powerful in the written word. It shows you where y.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..