Long Necked Elegance

Long Necked Elegance

A Poem by April Child
"

What kind of bird would you be?

"

If we were birds 

we would be swans

long necked elegance

gliding on the tide

stealing sideways glances

filling up with awe

unshakeable confidence

the slightest air of arrogance

that comes with knowing

you have found

a lifetime confidante

© 2009 April Child


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is a very soothing illustration... your words are as graceful and elegant as the swans themselves and are very befitting, conforming to the scene. A felicitous portrayal of that "unshakeable confidence, the slightest air of arrogance, that comes with knowing you have found a lifetime confidante"... very refreshing... and reassuring, creating a rhythm of its own. *raising a toast*... long live the swan!

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I love the poem, and the familiar calm images of swans that it brings, and even the reference to the Ugly Duckling by mentioning the lifetime confidence found. Thank you for sharing. :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Oh, how beautiful! Simple eloquence! And, I would be a mourning dove, cooing for my mate! ;)

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Yes, this is very elegant, visual and soothing - made me smile with the picture of lthe synchronized movement.

I think I would be a dove - maybe?

Kath

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Moi
This was very well-written. You definely flesh out the entire reason why a person is comparable to a swan, and in the nicest way. I don't know if you're thinking about touching it up a little, but some of the words didn't seem to fit. "slightest air of arrogance" -- does this come from the unshakable confidence? The connection, however slight you might prefer it, simply doesn't appear to me.

However, I'd like to think that if I ever did become a bird, I would be an elegant swan myself. Strange creatures, they're so heavy they can only land in water or they'd otherwise crush themselves with their own weight.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

thank you for taking me with you on this april. i needed a bit of serenity.

i love "long necked elegance"

and the following lines have a smooth delivery

"gliding on the tide
stealing sideways glances" - great alliteration not only with "stealing sideways" but also with "gliding glances"

i also really like the idea of swans having a "slight arrogance" to them. i think they do. it's like they know they are so beautiful.

the paralells to the sort of smugness happy couples have.

great write!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What a wonderfully delightful way to express this emotion.

You will capture the heart of anyone who reads this delightful poem

Superbly done


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Picturesque and lovely...very petite. What a precise expression of companionship.

Pretty indeed...

Daniel

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You know I had to read your beautiful words!!! Such elegance and beauty in your description... Moves my heart to a better place... Thank you so much!!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

538 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 5, 2008
Last Updated on April 28, 2009

Author

April Child
April Child

United Kingdom



About
I love words and I like to write poems. Sometimes words just come and I don't know where from but I write them down anyway. There's something very powerful in the written word. It shows you where y.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..