One - Landing

One - Landing

A Chapter by Arsenic Nemesis
"

And now I make my descent onto the Earth...

"

Do you know what it is like, to really feel the force behind the fall? No, not just any fall, I am speaking of the fall. At least, that is what we have named it. The descent in which we must take before we become airborne. For some of us, it could mean the beginning of the end and for others we find ourselves fortunate to have survived. Perhaps... this flight will be my last?

Negative. I am well trained and prepared for this; it is a mere exercise to me, nothing more. However, I feel mildly concerned for those who have received upgrades or are new models �" fifty percent of the time they are not as experienced as us, first, Parachute Models.

I check my Body Clock once again; 17:56. In four minutes, we shall all be taking flight. In less than seven minutes some of us will return and the rest will fall. Would I return? Affirmative; there is nought percent chance of my failing. I shall return to my cool, concealed pod and sleep once again until I am called for yet another mission.

...0.1%

“Ann!? Ann!?” a redheaded woman called across the field, hands planted firmly on her buxom hips. Her cheeks were bright red and hair in plaits at either side of her skull, sticking out. Dressed in a stripy skirt, frumpy blouse and apron, she appeared very much as a living ragdoll. She stood in the doorway of their quaint farmhouse, yelling across field of wheat and livestock for her daughter. It was getting late now, and not to mention that the sirens had sounded earlier that day meaning that the enemy was somewhere in their region, waiting to attack.

She sighed nosily and a gruff bark came from beside her. In the midst of running her hand through her straw-like hair, she glanced down at the enormous, sandy dog beside her; fondly named Saxon. Pointing out to the fields, she gave her command. “Go out there and find Ann, Saxon, go on, go on!” she chirped in a merry tone, the fat beast bounding with joy, tongue lolling out. Then he took off and the woman held a grumpy, anxious air once again.

Saxon darted through the wheat, crunching and snapping, occasionally giving the odd pop. Yet, the old mutt ran along without any troubles, searching desperately for the one his masters had named “Ann

He saw a flash of ginger hair and howled, racing towards the freckled skinned being in which it belonged to. Ann turned at the noise and grinned, mouth lined with baby-teeth that just refused to fall. Her hair was wild and frizzy, a few plaits here and there, though they were barely visible through such mass. Fresh green eyes sparkled and her skin held a healthy, peachy gleam to it. She was dressed in mud caked dungarees and a stripy, blue t-shirt. Then, she mumbled something about a “stoopid irria’ing wotch!” as she removed a plastic strap from her wrist, ramming it into the ground. She then beamed at the mutt.

“Heya, Sax’” she greeted her voice low and gruff, with the slightest squeak to it; almost like a teenage boy’s voice when breaking. The dog leapt over to her, crashing into her and knocking her back. She giggled and scratched behind his ears. “Mama wants me t’ come in, then?” she quizzed. Saxon merely wagged his tail. She rolled her eyes, her smirk pressing dimples into her cheeks. “Awright ‘hen, ‘s go” she murmured, pushing Saxon off her and clambering to her feet, using some wheat as support.

Overhead, the sun had splashed the sky in wonderful pinks and oranges. There were few clouds high, high up in the sky; so very far out of reach. Taking a deep breath of the clean air, she turned and chuckled as Saxon scrambled to his feet. With her arms out, she made aeroplane sounds as she dashed through the field, forgetting that she had left her little, plastic watch behind in the field. The big hand and little hand making a perfect line in the heart; slicing the time-telling device in two.

 

The siren had sounded and my Body Clock had informed me of the hour; it was our time to move. A wheezing sound filled the air and I moved each digit of my fingers, my motor skills having reawakened. The hooks clinging onto us released us and the slick, glass doors to our pods had swivelled round, giving us passage to the hatch as it cracked open.

Blasts of icy air beat us, forcing our arms back slightly as we stood, defiant. Black helmets adorned all of us, along with identical leather suits with violet lines running down the sides. Our uniforms ensured safety against the shock of Missiles, as well as the arctic temperatures in the sky; preventing ice from getting into our gears and from blocking our vision.     

From where I stood, in line with the others, I could see the outdoors creep in on us as the sun had begun to set. In a moment we shall plummet into the ground also. Unlike the sun, however, we shall come back up again and soar like birds. Would I survive? Affirmative.

We jumped, falling out one by one, each barely a foot behind the other. I took a second to survey the unit behind me. She was concentrating hard and was fretful, I could detect. Her Intelligence Unit was on the blink and her Core Centre was fluttering. My arms spread out and metallic flaps appeared in between the gap of my side and beneath my limbs; much like that of a flying squirrel. How was my Core Centre doing? I wondered. Was it shuddering hard, right up against my internal, silver ribs? Affirmative. People do not see us as human, for they find us so very impassive, so incredibly unfeeling. I would disagree �" what did they called this part in a human body? Cardiac Muscle? No, the heart. Yes, my heart was pounding. Drumming for every ounce of fear that coursed through my wiring.

I glanced up ahead just as my artificial wings caught balance in the wind and I set myself upright. We are designed almost like planes, we need fuel to remain afloat and rely on jets, only ours or miniscule and in thousands; one would not easily identify them. My eyes moved in swift darts, taking in every inch of space about me and mapping it out in my Intelligence Unit. I had to take into account any enemy ships, fire and also objects commonly founded in the sky. Clouds can be a problem and solution. Either I could hide or they could.

Many of my fellow units had soared off, arms raised with their weapons at the ready. I felt for my right arm and squeezed; my offending arm, whilst my other served as defence. I felt the familiar sensation of moving, scraping metal, reworking wires and plates. Sure enough, a small cylinder poked out of my fist, in the centre of the back of my hand. A little violet ray searched the skies from it, stretching out only a few metres before me. It jerked this way and that, as cautious as I, neither of us could fail. It was never an option in any mission.

A hum filled my ears and I soared off amongst the clouds, faster than a speeding bullet or a plotted missile. I was sonic sound, sly, secretive and affecting all those in range. I would slip into concealed spots and fire, today this Parachute would chose the Function of the Snake. Weave in and out, shoot to kill, no misses and more success rate in the mission. How many terminations today? I pondered, slithering into a cloud. I would be dangerous and I would be in danger. 

Suddenly, an explosion tore through the air. Hot raging fire erupted and the force of it sent me spinning, right out of my hiding place and into enemy fire.

 

Ann stopped at the echoing boom through the air, Saxon growling behind her. By now, she was on the edge of the field, just in front of the house. Angling her body round, she looked to the sky. “Wot wus ‘hat?”

“Ann!” the redheaded woman cried from the door, arm above her head, shielding her eyes from the glare of the sun. She glanced at her momentarily, before turning to the above once again. In seconds, she was upon her, meaty hand grabbing her arm and towing her inside. “It’s not safe out there!”

“Mama!” Ann yelled, pointing up above them, “T’ skies on fyer!” 

She gasped and looked upward, finding the explosion in the sky; a Missile’s work. Snagging her daughter by both shoulders, she shoved her inside and encouraged Saxon in too, slamming the door shut behind them. In protest, Ann turned to her mother, arms out. “Mama, t’ livestock!”

Cupping her daughter’s cheeks in both of her chubby hands, the redhead stared right into her eyes. “Right now, you’re my top priority,” she rasped and planted a firm kiss on her forehead, “now, get into the shelter”

Ann grimaced and took a step further into the old, rickety farmhouse. In that instant her mother scooted past and then, swiftly yet with care, made her way out. A few seconds had passed and Ann had not moved from her spot in the hall, in spite of Saxon’s yapping and whining. She could not leave her mother out there; not alone.

Grunting, she moved stealthily to the door, Saxon padding close behind. “Stay!” she snapped and took off towards the fields. Honestly, they should have gone to the shelter together, but as of late the farm had been so difficult to manage, especially with her father absent. They could not sacrifice a single animal; either way their lives were at risk.

 

Artillery came in full, roaring through the clouds and around my location. Excelling the power on my jets, I shot off, out of the battleground and into the safety of icy mist. The weapon upon my knuckles swept around, violet beam angled at a silhouette hurtling in my direction.

I gasped, my systems shocked momentarily, before I flew upwards leaving a pale stream trailing after me. Up and up, I continued, jets blaring and metallic sheets between my arms steady. Soon, I found myself high above the clouds. My internal warnings set off, screeching and flashing red; the altitude I had reached was too high. Even with my protective gear, all the way up here my gears could freeze easily.

But, the chase was not over.

The machine burst through the sheet of white below me and climbed the air with ease. My brows furrowed and I felt my body grow automatically tense, the leather of my suit squeaking slightly. Rigid, I concentrated, focused on targeting and locking the enemy so I was free to attack.

Unlike us, the enemies had much denser uniform that was difficult for us to penetrate; but that is if they were flying free. Under the influence of attack, they must removed their steel, orange painted helmets; in the odd shape of diamonds. They had leather uniforms identical to our only with orange stripes over violet, and they also had several �" solid �" attachments on top, making them stronger. The metal work looked almost like armour, only it was much sharper and out of places like the elbows and knees. Every inch of them was safe, covered in modern chainmail and fluorescent armour. Engines in his shoes and against his back guided him upwards, slowing and stopping when he was facing me a few feet away.

A snap and wheeze filled the air and the helmet slid from his skull, each half slipping downward and adding more defence onto his shoulders. Long, wavy blonde locks fell around his pallid, child-like face and his jade eyes glimmered. “My lady,” he said in an accented voice, bowing with great sarcasm. He looked up at me and grinned. “Offer me zis dansu?”

In less than a second he was shooting towards me, a sadistic, toothy smile on his face and rage in his eyes. Rapidly, I darted aside and watched him as he barely regained control, almost like slipping on ice as he got his feet under him. My Intelligence Unit was in a frenzy, warning me of the danger in which I faced. One touch from this Missile and the possibilities of my survival drop. That’s correct, isn’t it? Affirmative.   

He growled and whirled around, ready to try again. I held up my arm, aimed, and fired. The bullet passed through the air and embedded itself into his arm in the blink of an eye. He recoiled at the force and surveyed his arm for damage. I had placed a pocket in his armour, though nothing more.

At that moment, he came at me.

 

“Ann, Ann!” her mother raced toward her and grabbed her by her arms, shaking her slightly. Her eyes were welled up as she glared at her daughter. “Why aren’t you inside?”

“’couse, Mama... I don’t wont anyfing bad t’ ‘appen t’ ya” Ann protested, chewing her lip. Then, she pushed at her mam’s arms and set her back to rest. “I’ve come t’ ‘elp. Let’s get t’ livestock away”

“No, get back inside now Ann” the woman roared, pointing to the house. The two then bickered vigorously with one another, arms thrown and names being called. Little did they realise they weren’t far from the house and Saxon was stood, barking, at the front door, eyes focused on the sky. For a second, Ann’s eyes snapped over to the mutt and then to her mother and then back to him again. Her brow knitted in confusion and she lifted her gaze. “Mama!” she cried out, pointing to the clouds.

The beefy woman angled her head and then gawked. “Ann, run!” she screamed, shoving her towards the house, “We have to get inside! QUICK!”  

 

The Missile pursued me now matter how nimble I was or how many rounds I shot at him, he was determined for blood; for my blood. I dived down, turning onto my back as I fired up at him. Effortlessly, he evaded every shot and continued at me. No matter how hard I tried I could not get a lock on him. He was considerably faster than me and he also did not have a particular target with me. Anywhere, he could strike any point and it would take me down.

An alarm rang in my core and I peered back, finding a fellow Parachute coming up towards me. With equal speed we dodged each other and avoided collision. It was then, as she was flying away that I noticed the Missile pursuing her.

Then I knew, something was wrong we me that day. A glitch? Possibly. All I am aware of is that I moved my aim right at her pursuer and fired, not destroying him but knocking him off course. She stopped, hovered and looked at me; a secret gratitude. Then, she waved her arms frantically and tried to aim her own gun. I swung my head round. The Missile’s hand clamped onto my helmet and an electrical surge ripped through my wiring. I screamed; never before had I experienced such pain. The vision in my right vanished into black and my left flickered on and off, sending fuzzy images of my attack to my Intelligence Unit.

A boom echoed through the air and I thought my time was up, that the Missile had exploded at last, when he simply released me and shot backward. I saw a flash of violet and a leather clad hand reach towards me; any casualties in the plane will be abandoned.

Still, she tried to catch me and I strained, trying desperately to get my body to respond only for it to spark and spasm. My jets cut and then I fell. My bladed wings caught the wind and jerked my body about every so often as I plunged to my demise. In less than seven seconds I saw the battlefield vanish.

My body jolted and blue sparks sputtered from joints as I sent distress signals throughout my body; back-up power, limited jet use, adrenaline �" anything! My eyes slid shut, my left relaxing now rather than facing jumping pictures. Instantly, I heard the hum of my jets spring to life and I kicked about, trying to gain balance only to fall. Several times this occurred and I felt my body grow hot as I made my final descent unto Earth.

 

A fiery sphere plummeted with intense velocity onto the farm below, smoke leaving a heavy trail behind as it dived right into one of their fields. A massive, ear-splitting explosion tore through the air and caused the very soil to quake. Ann gave out a cry as she and her mother were knocked onto the ground, Saxon somehow managing to secure his balance on the doorstep.

Soon, in less time than it took for the crash-landing to occur, everything went still once again. Even in the clouds above, everything seemed to have calmed. Tentatively, Ann pushed herself up off the ground, covered in dirt. She narrowed her eyes in the distant where a gathering of steam was floating upward in the fields, a sizzling noise accompanying it. “Wot is ‘hat?” she mumbled and took off, her mother reaching out to her from her spot, sprawled out on the floor.

The ginger haired girl ignored her and powered through the wheat, curiosity and dread both fuelling her. Was it a weapon? Which side did it belong to? And, most importantly, was it really dead?

Vegetation grew as high as she, stretching up towards the blazing ball above as it continued on its plunge into the night. Pushing back some strands with her hands, she winced as steam poured into her face, making her hiss and recoil. But, it failed in stopping her. Fallen wheat crunched under her shoes as she stepped out into the wreckage. So much of the crop they work hard to nurture had been singed black and snapped clean in half. Whatever had crashed there left a lengthy path of destruction in which the young farm girl followed. Bit by bit, the steam cleared out, allowing her a better view of her environment.

“Ann!” came her mother’s voice in the distance, “Ann! Get back here this instant! It’s too dangerous! Are you listening!? Ann! Ann!”

Still, she ignored her and pressed on. There it was, dressed from head to toe in black, violet lines appearing in some places. It was laid flat on its stomach, head turned to the side, protected by a helmet. A few shards of dark glass surrounded its head and under closer inspection, Ann discovered that part of its helmet had smashed. She resisted from stumbling back. All this time she’d been expecting to see wires and metal skin poke out from below, but none of these were evident.

It was a girl. Her eyes were closed and fine, black hair brushed her brow. From the portion of face that Ann could see, she had smooth, almost porcelain skin. Her lashes were long and dark, resting lightly against her delicate flesh.

Ann sighed, crouching down beside her. “Wow...” she barely breathed, reaching out for her.

Suddenly, the girl’s eyes shot open and she jerked her fist up, the gun sitting on her knuckles pointing at Ann. Instantly, Ann shot back, panting and holding her arms up defensively. She stared at the girl from the skies, very much in a trance. Her eyes were violet and incredibly bright; Ann bet that they could even be used as lights at night! For a moment, the girl’s arm shook, her aim faltering and then her head hit the ground again, eyes shut.

Ann swallowed and rose to her feet, eyeing the girl with caution. “She dead?” she whispered, when her mother burst into the clearing, followed closely by a snarling Saxon.

“Ann, for goodness sake, what were you thinking!?” her mother exclaimed, only to reel back in terror at the sight of the being on the floor. She wet her lips and gestured for her daughter. “C-Come here, Ann, I-I-I think it is dead. I’ll s-s-sort this out... somehow”

“But, Mama-“Ann found herself cut off when the girl in black stirred again. She leapt back a pace just to be safe, when the girl reached out with her none-offending hand. Her eyes were twisted in pain and, barely, the spectators could hear her mumble. “W-Water...”  

Then, her hand slumped into the ground and she went still, the only sign of life coming from her being her heavy breaths.     

Ann took a deep gulp of air and met her mother’s gaze. They stared at one another for a while, before landing their gaze onto the girl, the same question entering both of their minds; what now?

 

 



© 2010 Arsenic Nemesis


Author's Note

Arsenic Nemesis
This took forever to write, mortals. Quick check through and all that jazz. In spite of how long it took to write, it was very enjoyable. Anyway, enjoy~

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Good beginning for the book. introduces the character nicely, and the problem.

Saxon is a great name for a dog.

The speech patterns of the girl actually distract and jar you loose from the story. I little overdone, I think.

Leather uniforms?

Okay, I think I'm confused. Are they flesh or machine or cyborg or what? Sometimes you use very human descriptions and sometimes machine. Blood?

It is well written, but very confusing.



Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

289 Views
1 Review
Added on December 18, 2010
Last Updated on December 18, 2010


Author

Arsenic Nemesis
Arsenic Nemesis

Redcar, United Kingdom



About
MOVED. NOW http://www.writerscafe.org/Paranoid%20Maze more..

Writing