Chapter III

Chapter III

A Chapter by ~Sarah~ Idríel The Fair


Chapter III


Meanwhile in Flossie’s house


The doctor had completed his investigation, and he came into the kitchen where Stuart was walking nervously around in circles and when Stuart saw doctor’s face, he knew that he had not good news to tell him. ‘How long, Bert? How much time is left?’ Stuart asked and the old doctor was caught by surprise, dropped his bag on the kitchen table which was still wobbling, and took off his glasses and wiped them with clean handkerchief before he said; ‘You’re far-sighted man, Stuart. I’ve given her medicine that helps with pain. I am afraid that she has the same lung disease like so many others at this time. I suspect that it is caused by poor air quality in the factory where she is working. This is the fifth case within two weeks, and all those have been working at the same factory.’ Stuart looked pale, as if he could follow his dying wife in any moment. Stuart leaned on the kitchen level. ‘She has not told me anything.’ Bert smiled at little. ‘She is very brave. And this disease can be asymptomatic for a long time.’ Then Stuart spoke. ‘How long, tell me Bert, I’ve to know’. Doctor raised his spectacles back on his nose. ‘Perhaps a month or even a year in the best situation. But you should prepare for that it could be only a couple of weeks. I’m very sorry, old friend.’ Stuart looked at him but could not prevent his voice shaking. ‘You cannot do anything for her?’ Bert sighed deeply and showed himself also to be very, very tired. Stuart was listening nervously but Bert’s next words brought a glimmer of hope in his heart. ‘Perhaps there will be something I can do. I have developed new medicine in my free time.’ Stuart’s eyes shone bright when he said; ‘we will do everything we can if there is even the smallest chance that she will be better.’ Bert nodded. ‘So it be.’ It was death quiet. Then the tea kettle whistled and it sounded in the ears of Stuart as if he had received an answer to his prayers.




© 2017 ~Sarah~ Idríel The Fair


Author's Note

~Sarah~ Idríel The Fair
Postscript

“I wrote this very powerful story in part because of that I am worried about the current state of the world and the fact that natural resources are used recklessly and forests are being cleared down. Keep my story in your mind and when you walk in the outdoors, I hope that my story reminds you that this blue and green jewel, which is known as Earth, is the most valuable thing we have.

Take care of it.

And if the story has influenced you, hopefully in a good way, then my work was not in vain.”

Credits of photos goes to the artists.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I liked the tone of the story. Had the feel of real life and real life actions. I liked the want of Stuart. A quiet death. Maybe a better ending. Thank you Sarah for sharing the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

~Sarah~ Idríel The Fair

7 Years Ago

Thank you my poet friend. Your opinion means a lot to me.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 15, 2017
Last Updated on March 20, 2017
Tags: in the gardens of the earth, nature, environment, future, adventure


Author

~Sarah~ Idríel The Fair
~Sarah~ Idríel The Fair

Teleri of Aman ~ Middle-Earth ~ Finland



About
' I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas; they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind. ' ~Emily .. more..

Writing