The Bagel

The Bagel

A Story by MidnightKingdom
"

...

"
Sareè tapped at the wall with her ear pressed against it.
"No talking or movement!" she declared proudly.
Aster facepalmed.
"Thats because there's NO ONE in there!!!!"

The two stood in the school gym, facing a wall with a huge vent that had a metal fence-like covering. It was about the length and width of a person. The covering was like a chain-link fence with holes to peek through.

"Well how do you explain the bagel?" Sareè demanded. Aster's jaw dropped. Was her friend this stupid???
Sareè crouched and stared into the vent where a bagel lay on the other side. She tapped the vent and turned her head to Aster.
"Do you see it?" she asked her. Aster facepalmed.
"Sareè, it's literally a bagel in a vent. Some kid must have put it in there!"
Sareè shook her head and pointed to the steel bolts.
"there's no way! You can't fit a bagel through these holes and there's NO way they took the grate off!"
she stood up and gave Aster a serious look.
"There must be a homeless guy in there!"
"Sareè. Theres no homeless guy."

Sareè gave Aster a doubting look. Behind them, a game of basketball was going on. The kids shouted as their sneakers squeaked. There was a swish of the net and the cheers of a team. Sareè sighed and shrugged her shoulders, looking exasperated. Her dirty blonde hair hung to her shoulders and her royal blue eyes seemed lost in thought. Then she straightened with an 'Aha!' look and snapped her fingers.
"I got it!! Let's go in there!" she exclaimed.
Aster stared her down.
"No way! Do you know how much trouble we'll be in???"
Sareè smirked. "Its just to find a homeless man!!!"
"THERE IS NO HOMELESS MAN!", Aster exclaimed with exhaustion.

The teacher looked up at the two and gave them a dissaproving look.
"this is gym class, not socializing class" she said sternly. Sareè sighed and returned back to where they were passing frisbees across the court. She kept looking back at the bagel in the vent as she walked straight through the basketball game. There were mutters and groans of protest as the person with the ball ran into Sareè. He gave her a dirty look but went back to the game. Aster had gone around the court and was finally caught up to Sareè.

"Honestly, Sareè! There's no homeless man! How would he get in there?" Aster assured. Sareè still wasn't convinced. She looked around for the teacher and saw her back was turned. She grabbed Aster's arm and pulled her into the locker rooms.
"Hey!" Aster hissed in recoilation, "What the Hell are you doing!?!?!?!"
Sareè ignored her and climbed up on a locker. Aster just stood there, quietly watching Sareè climb the lockers until she reached the end of the line to the wall. A smaller, easier to get into vent.
Aster leaned against the door.
"There is no way I'm going in there" she stated, arms folded.
Sareè was already prying at the cover with her hand, frowning in frustration when she failed. She looked down at Aster and sweetly said,
"Asterrrrrr my favorite friend, will you go get something to pry this with?"
Aster stared at her blankly and rolled her eyes. She looked around the locker room to see what Sareè could possibly use. She walked by all the curtained showers and checked every stall. Nothing. She opened lockers and even tried to pick the storage closet lock. Finally, she returned to Sareè who was still at trying to open the vent. Aster chuckled and called up,
"Hey! How's it going?"
Sareè smiled at her and gestured a peace sign.
"Its going great!", she winked.

The bell suddenly rang and girls poured into the locker room, faces red and sweaty. Some girls gave Sareè a weird look, others didn't even look fazed. No one seemed bothered by a teen on top of the lockers trying to get in a vent. Sareè sighed and leapt down.
"it's no use. We need something to pry it..."
Aster shrugged and the two exited the locker rooms.

"Well hello girls, nice of you to show your faces"
Sareè jumped and let out a 'yelp'
The teacher stood with arms crossed and a tapping impatient foot. Sareè attempted to dart past her but the teacher grabbed her hoodie.
"None of that behavior, Ms. Marcel. Come with me you two"

Aster glared at Sareè from her seat in the office. The two waited for the principle to call them in.
"I still think it's a homeless man", Sareè pondered. Aster punched Sareè in the arm.
"Why do I bother hang out with you?", she groaned in exasperation.
Sareè put her hand on Aster's and winked.
"Admit it's a homeless man who left the bagel"
Aster scoffed, "Never will I admit that!"
The office secretary shushed them and went back to typing on her computer. It was eerily silent as printers made humming noises and the other troublemaker kids fiddled with their fingers. Sareè looked over and caught Aster staring at her.
"What?" she questioned. Aster glanced away.
"Sigh. Sareè, I..."
BAM-
Aster whipped her head up startled. The principle had swung his door open and was staring feircely at the two.

"It was a homeless man" Sareè whispered into Aster's ear as they walked in.
"It was just a friggin' bagel!" Aster hissed back.
"Homeless man"
"Oh my God! You are impossible!"

Sareè chuckled. "Homeless man"
Aster glared and stomped on her foot.

© 2019 MidnightKingdom


Author's Note

MidnightKingdom
... Oak Hill High School

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Strangely this Sareè reminds me greatly of myself ... when I'm not on my meds. Tiny little things would cause me to explode and have a meltdown. Now that I'm on meds I'm calmer and the voices in my head turn into raindrops, but it does cost a price.

Being on the meds affects my concentration. My programming skills are down to half or further. What I used to be able to code in Blitz in a single day takes weeks, sometimes a full month to complete.

Adding chapters to my ongoing "Future Barrier" 3rd book now takes hours instead of a quick 30-minutes. Ah well, it is the New Year. What is my resolution ? To finally finish this fool Tilemaster project. :)


Posted 5 Years Ago


MidnightKingdom

5 Years Ago

Ah I don't have a locker at my school. You have to sign up for one. And I just keep everything with .. read more
dw817

5 Years Ago

School is that way now ? Wow ... I continue to have nightmares of Elementary and Middle School. Most.. read more
MidnightKingdom

5 Years Ago

Ah yeah, for overcrowded schools. That way not everyone gets a locker.
Don't worry, I'm the .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
1 Review
Added on January 8, 2019
Last Updated on January 8, 2019
Tags: Fantasy, the midnight kingdom

Author

MidnightKingdom
MidnightKingdom

The Shadow



About
Aster DiAggelos. Fantasy. Kinda insane. Personality disorder. But mostly fantasy...(?) I'm anti-social and kind of a loner. I rather read a good book than talk to people. I like art and pain.. more..

Writing