70% More About: Mel!

70% More About: Mel!

A Chapter by Ceara
"

Superhero by Day, a...pretty normal girl by night? If normal girls had like 300 jobs and were best friends with an Esper

"
1. What’s their full name? Why was that chosen? Does it mean anything?

Melanie Connolly. It means "dark", but Mel's mom chose it because she liked the soft, pretty sound of it. 

2. Do they have any titles? How did they get them?

Mel's' superhero name is 'Sardonix', which was chosen for her "dry, mocking attitude". It also has a slight reference to the gem with a similar name, which Mel's superhero colors were loosely based on.

3. Did they have a good childhood? What are fond memories they have of it? What’s a bad memory? 

Mel started out with a decently happy childhood. Despite her mom constantly working as an ER nurse, Mel never lacked any love or attention from the worn out woman. The two were very close; as Maire, her mother, would have put it, two halves of the same soul. Their favorite activity was to make a special meal, and then go out to get freshly-made ice-cream together.

Mel's worst memory was pulling her mother's limp body out of the smoking remains of their car, but being unable to save her anyways. After that, Mel went to live with her grandmother, which led to a different rearing environment that she was used to.

4. What is their relationship with their parents? What’s a good and bad memory with them? Did they know both parents? 

Mel's mother died when she was around nine years old, so sadly, her memories are slowly fading. Her grandmother is something like a parent to Mel, though! Mel's dad died when she was just two years old, and she doesn't remember much about him, other than what she's heard. She seems to have a bit of a grudge with him, for some reason...

Moninne is a stubborn, stubborn old woman set in her way; if you're not with her, then she'll just run you over to get what she needs. The two fight quite often because of their clashing natures, and trade loving pet names like "s****y old hag" and "ungrateful f*****g brat". Despite the venom in their banter, the two have a deep connection that Mel has with few other people, and she genuinely worries whenever her granny can't pickup the phone. 

The best memory Mel has with her is the old woman brushing Mel's hair while she thought the child was asleep. Losing her only daughter had placed a big gap between the two, especially since Mel had been an "unexpected and much-too-early inconvenience" for her young mother. There had been a lot of tension between the two, and Mel honest had wondered if she was unwanted, even by her mother's mother. Feeling the brush softly comb through her hair while the old woman softly mourned Maire, Mel cried too, finally feeling like she was wanted.

5. Do they have any siblings? What’s their names? What is their relationship with them? Has their relationship changed since they were kids to adults?

No siblings! A few of the kids around her grandmother's block have sort of adopted her as a psudo-sister, and she sometimes takes on the role around her younger teammates; despite the small year gap, Mel's experienced a lot of things.  

6. What were they like at school? Did they enjoy it? Did they finish? What level of higher education did they reach? What subjects did they enjoy? Which did they hate?

Mel liked her classwork, but not school. Because her mother was rather pretty, but was stubbornly single and worked long, weird hours, some bad rumors started beings spread around by some petty people. When their kids caught wind of it, they teased and confronted Mel with it. The first nose she ever broke was because of this. When she moved in with her grandma, she changed schools, but the pain and stress she was under was too much to quietly bear. She started--and ended--a lot of fights all through-out middle school. She finally became a little more serious about her studies towards the end, and graduated decently high scored. 

Currently, she is studying to get into college, but secretly. Mel likes science and math because she likes to know how things work, especially humans. She hated literature. 

7. Did they have lots of friends as a child? Did they keep any of their childhood friends into adulthood? 

Mel had some friends as a kid, but wasn't really able to keep them due to moving. She did meet Sam and Vince when she was still a teen, but that barely counts.

8. Did they have pets as a child? Do they have pets as an adult? Do they like animals? 

Mel never had any pets growing up. Her mom's apartment didn't allow them, and her grandma just didn't like them. Mel doesn't have a pet, (her apartment doesn't allow them, either) but she does have lots of stay cat friends that come and go as they please. Technically not pets.

9. Do animals like them? Do they get on well with animals? 

Dogs seem to really like Mel, and cat's seem to tolerate/enjoy her company. In general, Mel does well with animals. It's kind of hard to dislike something that will love you unconditionally, after all. She even likes spiders!  

10. Do they like children? Do children like them? Do they have or want any children? What would they be like as a parent? Or as a godparent/babysitter/ect?

Mel says she dislikes children, but definitely seems to have a soft spot for them. She's surprisingly strict with them. They tend to cling on her, especially during fan meetings. This is why she doesn't have anything sharp or potentially dangerous on her costume. Older kids she's tougher on, but still seems to attract. One kid in particular seems especially attached to her. Gotta be the punching. 

She might want kids someday, but that's a long way off for her. She's afraid of repeating her parents mistake, and putting her future children in a stressful environment due to poor choices. She'd definitely have to meet the right person before even thinking of little ones...and even then, who knows?

11. Do they have any special diet requirements? Are they a vegetarian? Vegan? Have any allergies?

Superheroes need lots of protein, and specially crafted diets, and Mel is no exception! She eats a well balanced diet of meat and veggies, with lots of snacks in between. Since she has to burn a lot of energy, she eats a lot of food. A LOT.  

12. What is their favourite food? 

Mel likes food with strong flavors, and really enjoys her granny's food, even if she wouldn't say it out loud. Chinese food is a close favorite! Her favorite dish is a corned beef hash with potatoes and whole fried eggs on top, sprinkled with cheeses and chopped herbs. Delicious! She's also very much a beer-and-bourbon kind of girl--the darker, the better! 

13. What is their least favourite food?

Super health foods, "miracle" foods, anything that seems too suspicious to be true. She's not impressed with chia seeds, and finds a lot of the "mega-healthy" items to be tasteless and unsatisfying. 

14. Do they have any specific memories of food/a restaurant/meal?

The hash was the first thing her grandmother made for her when she came to live with her, but she didn't eat it until after her first fight in her new school. Moninne sat her down and told her that if it meant she'd "stop slinking home like a whupped dog and hide awa' in her room all night", she'd teach her to fight. She then preceded to kick Mel's a*s everyday for a year, until she finally picked up enough decent defense skills to block the wiry old woman's cane. 

When Mel gets homesick, or just needs comfort, she makes this dish. She'd been known to make it for friends, too. 

15. Are they good at cooking? Do they enjoy it? What do others think of their cooking?

Are you surprised that Mel is a good cook? She used to be awful, but after having to eat her burnt creations over and over again, she made sure that she'd never have to taste that bitter mess again. She finds cooking relaxing, and genuinely is pleased if someone likes her cooking. She can season on the heavy side, so be wary. 

Few have ever braved that chance at Mel's table, but those that do can get hooked on the warm, home-y flavors she makes...when she's not trying out a new recipe. No one liked her cooking more than Sammy, her ex, even though he was a far better cook...

If you insult her food, prepare for a Sardonix-style verbal beatdown.

16. Do they collect anything? What do they do with it? Where do they keep it? 

She doesn't collect, per say, but Mel seems to really like new clothes. 

17. Do they like to take photos? What do they like to take photos of? Selfies? What do they do with their photos?

Mel doesn't take photos very often, even if she seems the selfie type. The photos she does have are physical, and kept inside a special album. Except one--her mothers picture in is a locket, which Mel hides in a special place in her room. 

As for getting photos taken, Mel did a few shots for a photographer friend of hers...she'd kill you if she found she looking, even though they're nothing risque. There's a certain one that won an amateur award, one that a certain bi-haircolored girl found her through...

18. What’s their favourite genre of: books, music, tv shows, films, video games and anything else

Mel doesn't really watch tv, since she doesn't have them time. She used to marathon really old tv shows, like MASH, and Cheers. She likes reading, but no specific genres are her favorite. Old fighting movies seem to be her thing right now, as well as cheesy 80's action flicks.

19. What’s their least favourite genres?

Super seriously mushy romances. Mel gave up the princess style "happily-ever-after" dream a long time ago, and isn't excited to watch the modern embodiment of that. 

20. Do they like musicals? Music in general? What do they do when they’re favourite song comes?

Mel likes beat-heavy rock songs, usually. She's been caught singing sad, old songs to herself, and sometimes in broken Celt. She's not the best singer, but she sings when she feels like it. Especially when she's drunk.

21. Do they have a temper? Are they patient? What are they like when they do lose their temper?

Mel has one hell of a short fuse, but is oddly a naturally patient person. She just chooses to stick to what she knows--blind rage and her fists. If Mel get mad, watch out! Bad guys will get the worst of it, but Mel will physically restrain herself from even touching anyone important to her while she's angry. Expect slammed doors and broken walls. She'll probably leave without a word if she feels too worked up. She's learned a hard lesson in controlling her temper with Sammy...and asking about that is the best way to get pitched out a window, so don't. 

22. What are their favourite insults to use? What do they insult people for? Or do they prefer to b***h behind someone’s back?

Mel has a foul mouth, and often colorful words about where to stick something and the people to stick something leak out. She has a bad habit of calling things "s****y", and sticking people with weird names based on appearances. She's definitely one to b***h right to your face, and with something about your mother, too.

23. Do they have a good memory? Short term or long term? Are they good with names? Or faces?

Mel has a decent memory, but its best with words and small details. She isn't so good with names, which is probably why she uses her weird nicknames for people all the time. She's better with faces. 

24. What is their sleeping pattern like? Do they snore? What do they like to sleep on? A soft or hard mattress?

Mel sleeps lightly, and snores a little. She often sleeps with someone else in the bed, but when she's alone, she tends to sleep face down, hugging the pillow. It's been described as "cute". Mel prefers harder mattresses, but softer pillows. 

25. What do they find funny? Do they have a good sense of humor? Are they funny themselves?

Mel has a decent sense of humor, surprisingly. She really likes the old slapstick acts, and certainly doesn't mind dark or snarky humor. Mel doesn't find herself funny, but rather, witty. Whether she's right or not is your own opinion. 

26. How do they act when they’re happy? Do they sing? Dance? Hum? Or do they hide their emotions? 

You're most likely to catch Mel humming to herself in a good mood, or simply find her lounging. Its not often when she finds herself de-stressed enough to really relax. If you're in a more intimate relationship with her, you may find your hair being played with, or given random embraces. She doesn't hide what doesn't need hiding, after all.

27. What makes them sad? Do they cry regularly? Do they cry openly or hide it? What are they like they are sad?

Mel isn't one to cry in front of others. Expressing negative feelings makes her feel too vulnerable, she she's very likely to hide it with lashing or, or simply ignoring you. When she's depressed, she'll pull back into her shell and just not do anything, sometime for weeks. 

When she does cry, it's been said to be very moving, and almost beautiful. 

28. What is their biggest fear? What in general scares them? How do they act when they’re scared?

Her biggest fear is losing people important to her, which somehow twists itself into a fear of commitment and an inability to make real bonds with people. She's also afraid of being able to provide and protect, and left all alone, which Mel seems to see her parents tale as. She's unable to express any of this right now, and would sooner push people away herself than lose them.

29. What do they do when they find out someone else’s fear? Do they tease them? Or get very over protective? 

She'll probably tease a little bit, depending on the fear. Expect a Mother Bear style rage if she finds someone picking on "her" person. She's surprisingly gentle to the frightened and injured. 

30. Do they exercise? Regularly? Or only when forced? What do they act like pre-work out and post-work out?

You have to be fit to a high ranking superhero! Mel works out whenever she can in her busy life, and is always serious about the basics. You'll find her very focused, usually; when she's being forced to do it, expect a wall of two to go down. Because Mel technically isn't a true "super strength" hero, her durability is a pressing issue. She tries to make up for it with tons of exercise, both physical and mental. 

Post workout follows the ritual of a cold drink, a stretch, and something sweet. Carbo-loads like crazy!

31. Do they drink? What are they like drunk? What are they like hungover? How do they act when other people are drunk or hungover? Kind or teasing?

Mel really likes drinking; unfortunately, she picked up this habit when she was still in her early teens. She's something of a social drinker, and as the night goes on. gets more expressive and clingy. And spontaneous. She might start a fight, or she might kiss you--it's all up in the air. 

A hungover Mel isn't a pretty sight. It's rare, but it does happen if she doesn't take care of herself. If she's alone, Mel will force herself to get up and chug her special water to get rid of her blinding headache; if she's with someone, she'll probably hit the snooze button and sleep a little more. It depends on the person on her reactions for other drunk people, and if she's had any. Hungover people get no mercy from her, but they might get some water, and a meal. Might.

32. What do they dress like? What sorta shops do they buy clothes from? Do they wear the fashion that they like? What do they wear to sleep? Do they wear makeup? What’s their hair like?

Mel's a fashionable girl! She views clothes as a kind of power and luxury, and has a wide variety. She seems to lead to feminine, mature styles with a strong mix of alternative, especially black and leather. When she isn't sporting her superhero outfit, expect things that show a lot of leg, or tightly trimmed outfits. High waisted shorts, tights, long boots, strappy sandals...she likes wearing a lot of different things!

If she's alone, she probably wear someone's old shirt to bed, or maybe a nice tanktop and shorts. If she's planning to have someone over, cute and sexy style clothes will be there to greet you. Then again, she's not adverse to just sleeping in the buff! 

Mel wears makeup; usually the minimum is foundation and mascara. She doesn't mind not wearing it, but feels that it makes her look older, and sometimes harder to approach, if she does a certain style. Mel's hair is very well taken care of, and feels thin, but soft. She straightens it often even though its naturally straight; she likes the way the machine makes it feel and look. Her side ponytail is a rather new look--she changed hairstyles to help make herself less discernible on tv, since anyone who knows Mel knows she's SUPER unlikely to wear such a girly hairdo. However; its kind of growing on her.  

33. What underwear do they wear? Boxers or briefs? Lacey? Comfy granny panties?

Mel's underwear is pretty sexy stuff, but she also likes them to be comfortable. For instance, its very hard to roundhouse kick someone in the face and not get your thong up into your butt. Lately she's been picking things with butterflies on them. Her drawer is full of pretty, lacy things.

34. What is their body type? How tall are they? Do they like their body?

Mel is 6 foot flat. She's got kind of a Wonder Woman thing going on, and is both soft and muscled. She's filled out rather nicely in these last few years, but wishes her hips would shrink down a little. Her butt is pretty flat, too. She's proud of her body, especially her long legs, and sleek back. That's probably why she wears open backed clothes very often, and why her pants usually hug tight. 

She's a little shy of her scars, though, so be nice. 

35. What’s their guilty pleasure? What is their totally unguilty pleasure? 

No one can know about Mel's "Cheat Days"; she loads up everything she can think of onto ice cream, and eats all of it. That's only for her to enjoy.

She really likes lying naked around her house, snacking and petting the cat of the day. Bliss. 

36. What are they good at? What hobbies do they like? Can they sing?

Mel is good with fighting and mathematics equally; she's pretty good with medical stuff, too. Mel doesn't really have time for hobbies, but counts her cooking as one. She's not a terrible singer, but not a very good one. Her voice is a little too husky and rasps, and she can get off-key quickly. 

37. Do they like to read? Are they a fast or slow reader? Do they like poetry? Fictional or non fiction?

She's a slow reader, but by choice. Mel likes fully understanding what she reads before she moves on from it. She finds poetry charming, but cheesy, and reads fiction and non fiction equally. 

38. What do they admire in others? What talents do they wish they had?

Mel admires open-hearted people, along with those that can express themselves fully. She also wishes she was a little better at mechanics, so she could fix her own stuff, instead of having to pay someone else to do it.

39. Do they like letters? Or prefer emails/messaging? 

She's a bit of a lax text-er, but like most people born in the age of information, can type with astounding speeds. But when it gets down to it, she prefers calling.  

40. Do they like energy drinks? Coffee? Sugary food? Or can they naturally stay awake and alert?

Coffee is good, sugar is the best. Snacks of all kinds of welcome to Mel's palate. She's naturally a night owl, so she doesn't really need coffee for that--except maybe for those long all-nighters studying her beaten up textbook. 


41. What’s their sexuality? What do they find attractive? Physically and mentally? What do they like/need in a relationship?

Mel is bisexual, and has currently dated more girls than boys. Her first crush was her teacher (but she was too young to understand), and her first kiss was an older girl who Mel later got in a massive fight over...which turned out poorly in her favor. She likes cheerful people, since she finds herself as a gloomy person, and enjoys testing people with physical contact and teasing to see if their reactions match her preferences. Although she's a bit of a sadist, she likes her partners to be able to push back, too. 

Mel needs physical reassurance and comfort most in a relationship. She's very scared of waking up one day and finding her bed cold, and being unwanted. She tends to throw herself in weird arrangements because of this--not necessarily just sex. She likes being held, and admired, because it means you're looking at her. Tenderness is something of an issue; she wants it, but is scared when she gets it. You might make her cry if she feels your sincerity is genuine.

42. What are their goals? What would they sacrifice anything for? What is their secret ambition?

Mel (secretly) is studying to enter the field of medicine--she's unsure if she wants to be a nurse, or not. Because of this, most of her money goes right into this dream, along with her free time. She'd sacrifice anything for a real, good friend. It's been a long time since she's had one of those.

43. Are they religious? What do they think of religion? What do they think of religious people? What do they think of non religious people?

Mel isn't sure what her religion is. She was pretty sure she was baptized as a baby, but she's not sure under which church. Minnie, her granny, goes to a Catholic church, so Mel sometimes tags along. Personally, she has a bone to pick with God, but wouldn't outright deny the right to believe in him. She doesn't care if someone is religious or not, as long as they don't go rubbing it in her face to make her change her mind. You're gonna have a problem then.

44. What is their favourite season? Type of weather? Are they good in the cold or the heat? What weather do they complain in the most? 

She's most comfortable in summer, when she can wear her favorite outfits, but she likes big, wild thunderstorms. Quiet rain makes her often turn pensive, and melancholy. She much prefers the heat. The slightest chill makes her very irritable. When it snows, you'll find Mel in a ball of blankets, probably nursing a cold because she's too stubborn not to wear short clothes in the cold. 

45. How do other people see them? Is it similar to how they see themselves? 

Other people see Mel as loud, crass, stuck up and downright bitchy, normally. Citizens often complain about Sardonix's lack of concern for public property, and foul language. Most people see the temper, but there have been some who have called her cute, funny, and even gentle. Her ex happened to find her very vulnerable and sweet, under all that snarl and stamp. Mel thought he was crazy.

Mel views herself as full of holes. She knows they're there, but has no idea how to fill them. She knows she has a nasty temper, and knows people tend to dislike her on the spot. She's okay with being called bitchy, but it wears on her slowly. She's probably not a self-confident person at all. 

46. Do they make a good first impression? Does their first impression reflect them accurately? How do they introduce themselves?

She doesn't make the best first impressions, but you probably won't soon forget her, either! She's not one for fancy or drawn out introductions, and your first impression on her is probably going to be right...most of the time. 

47. How do they act in a formal occasion? What do they think of black tie wear? Do they enjoy fancy parties and love to chit chat or loathe the whole event?

Sardonix cleans up nicely~ Black tie is something to be enjoyed, until she's bored, or too stressed. Then its two steps away from her snapping range. She doesn't mind socializing, but having to pretend to smile at people who are pretending to smile at her is something Mel intensely dislikes. She can behave herself, if everyone else can.

48. Do they enjoy any parties? If so what kind? Do they organize the party or just turn up? How do they act? What if they didn’t want to go but were dragged along by a friend? 

Parties are meant to be fun! She isn't the type to organize, but likes hanging out at other people's places. Dancing is okay, but she prefers drinking with a nice crowd, and watching someone else make a fool of themselves. If she was dragged, Mel is probably going to pull some kind of stunt. Watch out.

49. What is their most valued object? Are they sentimental? Is there something they have to take everywhere with them?

Maire's locket is something Mel treasures immensely, so she doesn't wear it and instead hides it. Some other things she's hidden is some ticket stubs, an old stuffed animal, and a lock of braided blue hair. She's tried to throw away the hair, but can't yet. 

Recently, she's become attached to her mask.

50. If they could only take one bag of stuff somewhere with them: what would they pack? What do they consider their essentials?

Essentials are clothes, a medical kit, and her mask. 

She can pack a little light for someone who likes her clothes so much. She'll probably just replace whatever she doesn't have, or forgets.


© 2016 Ceara


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
Added on April 28, 2016
Last Updated on April 28, 2016
Tags: oc, superhero, super strength


Author

Ceara
Ceara

CA



About
asdfadsf more..

Writing
Turning Point Turning Point

A Story by Ceara