70% More about Hazel!

70% More about Hazel!

A Chapter by Ceara
"

The potato loving, zombie know-it-all, deadpan snarker herself! Debuts in 'To Hell in a Handbasket'

"

1. What’s their full name? Why was that chosen? Does it mean anything?

Hazel Florres. She doesn't have a middle name because her mom liked how "cool" it sounded by itself. 

Hazel's mother is a big fan of music from the 1920's, and named her daughter after Hazel Scott. She secretly hoped the name would bestow some kind of musical genius on her, and that maybe her own Hazel would take to the piano...but no such luck.  

2. Do they have any titles? How did they get them?

No titles in real life, but she's a highly ranked player on her favorite MMO, and well known because of her aggressive tactical skills and penchant for killing other players; GutterH is a name to fear in this pixelated world. 

People say she got the name from her bloody playstyle, but Hazel simply picked it because she likes horror movies. She doesn't even really know that she'd feared or popular! 

3. Did they have a good childhood? What are fond memories they have of it? What’s a bad memory?

Hazel's childhood wasn't terrible, but it wasn't that good, either. She attended private schools, and despite being rather wealthy, like her classmates, she struggled to fit in. Her weight, taste in games and movies, and her own snappish personality made her a  favorite target for a few people. But it never lasted very long; if there was one thing Hazel could do, it was make people leave her alone. Having outsmarted, tricked, pushed away and sometimes threatened her peers, young Hazel drew deeper and deeper into herself, and her own world. 

Fond memories are fairly few, but the first time she played Hellspawn was one of her favorite moments. The gore!! The pixelated gore!! 

4. What is their relationship with their parents? What’s a good and bad memory with them? Did they know both parents?

Hazel has a fairly normal relationship with her parents? They aren't especially close, but they don't push Hazel away, either. The family moto of "I'll do my thing, you do yours" tends to work, but has caused a bit of a gap in everyone's relationship. So has her parents separating, which only caused Hazel to pull back further from them.

Her father is a meek man with a sharp sense for business, and has used his work as a buffer between him and his family. Dealing with the emotional stuff is hard, and it's even tougher when you're always overseas, doing someone else's bidding. Because of all this, he finds it hard to connect to his only child, and clings to what little they have in common; like their shared love for horror movies. 

Perhaps because Hazel's dad is always away, or maybe because he's naturally a quieter person--Hazel's mom seems to try to do the opposite he does, and is always trying to push her into things. Better health, piano, going outside and getting sunlight. Since Hazel was very small, she's always been pushing her into things, and poking into her private life. Because its normally just them, and because of their clashing personalities, Hazel and her mother fight a lot. They're surprisingly close, though, as neither can stay mad at the other for too long. After all, Natalie Florres is only ever looking after her daughter, and any happiness she can give her. 

5. Do they have any siblings? What’s their names? What is their relationship with them? Has their relationship changed since they were kids to adults?

No siblings! 

6. What were they like at school? Did they enjoy it? Did they finish? What level of higher education did they reach? What subjects did they enjoy? Which did they hate?

Smart, very smart, but very withdrawn and cautious. She'd learned early on that "enemies" were everywhere, and people didn't like "the fat girl" outdoing them in anything. Hazel didn't dislike school, but she did dislike having to go to it, and deal with the people around her. 

Hazel was taking some online courses and getting ready to commute to a college, but it was mostly to make her mom happy. She enjoys the field of science, especially biology. She probably would have majored in health and medicine, if the world hadn't filled itself with the undead. 

Hazel dislikes trig, because "it's dumb, just plug in the crap and go, don't make it so damn complicated". She also dislikes art, because her reactions to it never seem to be the right one.  

7. Did they have lots of friends as a child? Did they keep any of their childhood friends into adulthood?

Chubby kids don't often make friends easily, and especially not when you show IT during your birthday party, or dump blood on other kid's Halloween costumes because "Halloween is supposed to be scary"

By the time Hazel grew up, she'd internalized her peer's dislike of her, and her hobbies, and it warped into "everyone hates me, but that's ok, because I hate them too" kind of feeling. Her closest friend is ironically also her rival--Adam Perry, a rich pretty boy who also likes the games and movies Hazel does, but insists his tastes and skills are superior. A fact that he's never, ever proven. 

8. Did they have pets as a child? Do they have pets as an adult? Do they like animals?

Hazel couldn't have pets, but she'd like something low maintenance, but cuddly, if she could have one. Maybe a lizard?

9. Do animals like them? Do they get on well with animals?

Animals don't seem to like Hazel well...maybe it's her slightly scary eyes? 

10. Do they like children? Do children like them? Do they have or want any children? What would they be like as a parent? Or as a godparent/babysitter/ect?

Kids and Hazel have a rocky relationship. She doesn't dislike them, but she also doesn't know how to treat, comfort, or even talk to them. Gentleness and emotional openness is not her specialty. She's not sure she'd make a good mother at all, or if she'd even want to have kids. However, kids seem to like her, and some of the neighborhood kids used to come and try bug her, out of a sibling-like affection. They seem to cling and gather to her, like tiny moths. Which only makes her more uncomfortable. 

11. Do they have any special diet requirements? Are they a vegetarian? Vegan? Have any allergies?

Natalie was a health food fanatic, so of course Hazel was being dragged along for the ride. Her mother was trying to "cut" some of Hazel's "babyfat" off with some special diet that was all red meat and raw veggies. Hazel wasn't thrilled, but did pick up on a few things, if only to get her mom off her back when she snuck ramen into the house.

Shellfish makes her itchy!  

12. What is their favourite food?

Potatoes!!! It's a food you can literally live off almost completely on its own, and so transformable! Hazel makes sure she has a good stock of them whenever she can: you can't live off of only canned meat and beans forever! 

13. What is their least favourite food?

She doesn't really like overly sweet things, and greatly dislikes squash and spinach. She'll eat them, though, because they're very good for you!

14. Do they have any specific memories of food/a restaurant/meal?

Her mother was not a good cook, and trying to make things "healthier" often made things worse. Hazel can remember the soggy, bready mess that was some kind of "birthday cake without eggs", the very-well-done steaks, and the "is this even edible??" mystery food with apparently was a gumbo.

15. Are they good at cooking? Do they enjoy it? What do others think of their cooking?

Surprisingly, Hazel hasn't inherited her mother's kitchen skills! She's not a bad cook, but is fairly lazy at it. As long as it's edible, and tastes decent, it's ok. She's pretty good at sprucing up ramen, and makes killer baked potatoes. 

Currently, she's learned how to boil pasta with only a tealight and an old pot. She's resourceful, if anything! 

16. Do they collect anything? What do they do with it? Where do they keep it?

Horror EVERYTHING. Games, posters, books, movies, collectibles, comics....everything.  She especially loves zombies, and zombie girls even more. She just finds them irresistible. 

She used to have her room and computer full of the stuff, but it's probably not a good idea to go back for it. She has a beaten up comic in her backpack, her favorite one about zombies, or course. 

17. Do they like to take photos? What do they like to take photos of? Selfies? What do they do with their photos?

If she still had a working phone or camera, it would probably be full of real zombies. Maybe a few of Jamie, too. 

18. What’s their favourite genre of: books, music, tv shows, films, video games and anything else

HORROR!!!

19. What’s their least favourite genres?

Hazel couldn't stand most TV; reality shows were a hard pass. She also disliked sad, sappy romance stories, but had a "I-hate-this-why-can't-i-stop-watching?" thing with soaps and dramas! 

20. Do they like musicals? Music in general? What do they do when they’re favourite song comes?

Hazel has a wide range of musical tastes, and classifies it all as "this s****y music I like". She isn't the type to sing along, but will hum if she's not paying attention.  

21. Do they have a temper? Are they patient? What are they like when they do lose their temper?

She has a steady temper, but tends to snap at people pretty easy. She tries very, very hard to be patient, or ignore something...its not pretty when she loses it. She'll go for the jugular, and because viciously creative and efficient in making the other person back down/pay. Her impulsive streak and prideful nature make a terrible combination.  

22. What are their favourite insults to use? What do they insult people for? Or do they prefer to b***h behind someone’s back?

"S****y", "this s**t here", "asshat", "b*****d",  "this f*****g b*****d" and sometimes, "m**********r"

She'll get creative and mix things up, like adding stupid nicknames or dull, tacky insults to make the other insults sting. She tends to insult things and people for the same thing: not doing what she wants/says. Although she mutters a lot of her poison, she is not above saying right to their face if the time is right. 

23. Do they have a good memory? Short term or long term? Are they good with names? Or faces?

Good in the long term, terrible short term. Bad with names, so she secretly tacks nicknames onto people.  

24. What is their sleeping pattern like? Do they snore? What do they like to sleep on? A soft or hard mattress?

She used to sleep whenever, and heavily, after staying up all night. Nowadays, she's sleeps very lightly, and often can't force herself to rest. She snores, and likes soft, fluffy things. But the mattress has to be decently firm, if she has a choice. 

25. What do they find funny? Do they have a good sense of humour? Are they funny themselves?

Stupid, really bad puns and memes. Lots of bad puns and references. She frankly has a good sense of humor, just terrible taste. She can't make herself be funny, but often says or does things that are by accident. 

26. How do they act when they’re happy? Do they sing? Dance? Hum? Or do they hide their emotions?

While not purposely, Hazel tends to unconsciously bottle her emotions. She'll play off being pleased, or happy like she's too cool for it, but will probably be grinning in secret. She's not opposed to a little skinship--hugs are nice, but she quickly gets uncomfortable and ends them, even if she started them. 

27. What makes them sad? Do they cry regularly? Do they cry openly or hide it? What are they like they are sad?

Hazel used to be a crybaby, and it still shows a little. Her eyes water easily, and because she's vampire pale, it's hard to hide the splotchy, reddish colors that spring up when she's upset.  She's definitely the type to try and hide it, and will force everyone away from her to wrap herself in her negative emotions and hide. 

28. What is their biggest fear? What in general scares them? How do they act when they’re scared?

Biggest fear is probably...losing Jaime. She's never had a friend before, and even if Hazel pushes everyone away, being alone is a very big fear Hazel has. She'd rather die first then be the last one left, but knows that she'd be too scared to try it. Her cowardly heart is something she fears the most. She fears she might leave Jaime to die alone one die, too scared to die with her.

She'll probably hide it if she can, and bluster and bluff her way through the situation. She's very cautious, and tries to think of every move before she makes one. If you catch her off guard, she'll likely take the "flight" option. 

29. What do they do when they find out someone else’s fear? Do they tease them? Or get very over protective?

Depends on the situation, and person. Hazel might tease a little, but is more likely to leave it alone. She knows sore subjects, and what not to push. She'll try to help if she can, in her own awkward way, but will probably choose leaving that person alone. 

30. Do they exercise? Regularly? Or only when forced? What do they act like pre-work out and post-work out?

Hazel liked running, and soccer! She's not too bad at either of them, but doesn't normally choose them as her daily activities. She'll probably have to be dragged along...although, lately she doesn't like running anymore. Running for your life daily will do that to a person. 

No work-outs. Just mad sprinting, dodging, and complaining after. She does eventually get fitter, though, and starts putting on muscle.   

31. Do they drink? What are they like drunk? What are they like hungover? How do they act when other people are drunk or hungover? Kind or teasing?

Too young to drink! She'd probably be a more assertive, emotionally leaking kind of drunk. She'd also likely pass out quickly, and be a monster to deal with with the hangover. 

32. What do they dress like? What sorta shops do they buy clothes from? Do they wear the fashion that they like? What do they wear to sleep? Do they wear makeup? What’s their hair like?

Hazel wears what's comfortable, but her wardrobe was filled with expensive versions of those "comfy" clothes. Her mom bought her everything, unless it was some kind of nerdy t-shirt. She likes jackets, and kind of wanted a real aviator's jacket. 

She sleeps in whatever she was wearing, and kicks most of it off in her sleep. No makeup, but she dyed her hair green to match her favorite character. Her hair is fairly brittle now, and sticks up in weird places. 

33. What underwear do they wear? Boxers or briefs? Lacey? Comfy granny panties?

What kind of question is this? 

34. What is their body type? How tall are they? Do they like their body?

Stocky, with broad shoulders and a baby-fat face. She looks soft, but her body is actually firm in most places, and she's not a comfortable cuddle buddy. She's kind of tall, but not enough to make her "huge". 

She doesn't like her body, but she also doesn't hate it enough to care and try to change it. She doesn't like her jiggly arms, though--its makes her feel saggy and gross. 

35. What’s their guilty pleasure? What is their totally unguilty pleasure?

Hazel likes bad soap operas and cheesy pop songs, but won't admit to liking them. She loves watching--and forcing others to watch--slasher films, and watching their reactions. 

36. What are they good at? What hobbies do they like? Can they sing?

Hazel is pretty good at a lot of things. She's a walking encyclopedia on all things horror, decent at tinkering with electronics, and considers herself a pretty well rounded gamer. She can also sew, cook a bit, and knows how to patch up most injuries. She learned most of this stuff from the survival guides she'd pore over as a kid. Never know when you'd get lost in the mountains. 

She can't sing, but her whistling is fancy and pleasant. 

37. Do they like to read? Are they a fast or slow reader? Do they like poetry? Fictional or non fiction?

She likes reading, and reading bit of everything. She used to be very into the "how to survive everything" genre of books, but tends to lean more to fiction now that she's older. She reads very fast, but sometimes forgets to enjoy the book. 

38. What do they admire in others? What talents do they wish they had?

Hazel admires 

39. Do they like letters? Or prefer emails/messaging?

40. Do they like energy drinks? Coffee? Sugary food? Or can they naturally stay awake and alert?

41. What’s their sexuality? What do they find attractive? Physically and mentally? What do they like/need in a relationship?

42. What are their goals? What would they sacrifice anything for? What is their secret ambition?

43. Are they religious? What do they think of religion? What do they think of religious people? What do they think of non religious people?

44. What is their favourite season? Type of weather? Are they good in the cold or the heat? What weather do they complain in the most?

45. How do other people see them? Is it similar to how they see themselves?

46. Do they make a good first impression? Does their first impression reflect them accurately? How do they introduce themselves?

47. How do they act in a formal occasion? What do they think of black tie wear? Do they enjoy fancy parties and love to chit chat or loathe the whole event?

48. Do they enjoy any parties? If so what kind? Do they organise the party or just turn up? How do they act? What if they didn’t want to go but were dragged along by a friend?

49. What is their most valued object? Are they sentimental? Is there something they have to take everywhere with them?

50. If they could only take one bag of stuff somewhere with them: what would they pack? What do they consider their essentials?



© 2017 Ceara


Author's Note

Ceara
Unfinished because its 3am

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
Added on August 9, 2017
Last Updated on August 9, 2017
Tags: oc, to hell in a handbasket


Author

Ceara
Ceara

CA



About
asdfadsf more..

Writing
Turning Point Turning Point

A Story by Ceara