How To Write A Mystery Novel

How To Write A Mystery Novel

A Chapter by avant security guard
"

apologies to everyone

"

The Essential Classic Mystery Formula

by DirtyBoy McF...


Part I

Introduction of the crime (mystery) and the sleuth

Chapter 1

A. Disclose the crime and mystery to be solved. The crime must capture the imagination.









DirtyBoy:


Okay, maybe it should be a horrible crime, like manufacturing unworkable TV remotes...yes, that would be evil

oh, and maybe we need a criminal...how about George SD (SlamDunk) Bush...and, maybe, some local color, like, Bushy McBush, his gorgeous, out of control daughter, who writes steamy, hot trashy ebooks right in my lap...yes, this is good...wow, I am completely on track here.”


"Hold on, DirtMan," Bushy says. "I'm hungry. Are we going to dinner?"


"Sure," I explain, remorsefully...no, powerfully, with a loaded gun in the police station locker, somewhere in Harlem.


"Dirt, did you hear me?"


"Oh, yeah. Sorry. I was drifting off. Just writing me book in my stupid, damn airpod..."


"Your what?"


"I got an airpod cloud. Some guy sold it to me in Manhattan Beach."


"What? You shouldn't be buying stuff there. It's probably full of viruses."


"What, you mean STDs, like you've got?"


"Don't piss me off, DirtBag. I told you I was hungry."


"Okay, sorry Bushy. Just kidding. Let's hit BurgerQueen."


The crime:

It should have been committed in an extraordinary way and either the victim, the perpetrator, or both, should be unusual. Give the reader enough information about the victim to make them truly care that the perpetrator is found out and that justice is served.

B. Early in the story, clues should be revealed which suggest both physical and psychological aspects of the initial crime.




Dirt:


holy crap...this sounds like actual work. I may have to skip some of this stuff...maybe insert some flashy pics of stunning babes...yeah, that might be good.


Those clues should point to suspects and motive which will carry the sleuth to the end of Part I. Some clues should point the sleuth in the right direction, others may not be obvious or be recognized as actual clues unto later in the story.


Edited for clarity...and short attention spans of readers

end chap 1



© 2015 avant security guard


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I gloved reading this its a lot of fun, I enjoy the switching back and forth from the story thats being created and reality!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
1 Review
Added on July 29, 2014
Last Updated on June 23, 2015
Tags: mystery, novel, writing


Author

avant security guard
avant security guard

Atlantica, NY



About
actor, artist, filmmmaker, novelist, novelost, wegetonabus--among pen names: Ebooks by John Blandly Smashwords home page https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/AvantSecurityGuard Nook home page .. more..

Writing