Sequester

Sequester

A Chapter by Azulberry

Carl awakes sweating and hyperventilating. His white t-shirt is moist with displeasure as he sits there trying to slow down his breathing. The bedroom is cast in dark shadows, while the window to his left is the only thing allowing any light in. And that light is a dark amber that doesn't bring any sense of comfort to one's soul. This summer night is especially hot since Carl's air conditioner decided to die prematurely earlier that very day. The window is cracked allowing some air flow, though that air flow is thick because of the extreme humidity. Carl pushes the comforter and blanket off and reaches into his nightstand. Sitting on his bed he lights up his Marlboro cigarette and takes a long drag. The smoke exits his mouth with great exasperation as it departs out of the cracked window. Carl closes his eyes and takes a deep sigh while scratching his scalp with some irritation.

As his sighing comes to its inevitable conclusion he hears a noise just outside of the bedroom. That noise sends an ominous chill down his sweaty spine; his heart rate picks up exponentially as he slowly rises with his quivering legs. Carl reaches under the bed and retrieves a turquoise-colored aluminum bat. He readies it as if he were really getting ready to step up to bat; tightening his grip immensely. His quivering legs progress forward at a snail's pace as he stares with tunnel vision toward the door. While letting go of the bat with his right hand he reaches out to turn the door knob, and he grips it with reluctance. Sweat creeps down his face and descends toward the dark shadows of the bedroom. As he starts to turn the knob his cell phone chimes with an alert. Carl lets out a gasp and then proceeds to take a deep sigh. A little chuckle comes out as he gets his emotions in check for the moment.

Another noise echoes outside of his bedroom and immediately removes any sense of relief he just had. He then thinks he hears a familiar voice whispering. Carl slowly approaches his bedroom door and rests his head against it in an attempt to eavesdrop. Nothing but the noise of cars and city life. As he's about to pull away from the door he suddenly hears the familiar voice faintly say . . .

"Carl." He nearly falls down in horror but is able to catch his balance. Quickly he readies his bat again. The bedroom door starts to slowly creak open while his heart rate once again picks up exponentially. The door stands fully open but nobody is in sight. The hallway is pitch black but somehow Carl can see the outline of a dark figure.

"Who's there?! I've already called the cops!" Carl says with a crack in his voice. His perspiration has drenched his white t-shirt all together now, the thick breeze has ceased to exist, and the dark shadows cast seem even darker now.

"It's just me babe." The voice says with no emotion. The dark figure breaches the bedroom door. Carl's expression changes to concern.

"Rebecca? Why are you here at 2am in my apartment? How the f**k did you even get in? You gave back your key last week."

"I missed you." Rebecca says as she slowly creeps closer to him. Her tone is consistently unemotional. "Why don't we get out of here right now? Come with me, I want to show you something."

"I've missed you too." Carl drops the bat and leans in to hug her. As they embrace she fails to blink once. They hold hands and head toward the front door of the apartment. "Hold on a sec, I gotta take a leak real quick." As he goes to pull away she tightens her grip. Carl nearly falls down. "I know you're in a rush but give me a second." He says with some irritation. He forcibly relieves his hand from her tight grip and stares at her with some confusion. Carl enters the bathroom and starts urinating. He takes a deep sigh of relief and starts buckling up. He runs the water to wash his hands and notices a figure behind his shower curtain. A chill runs down his whole body. He starts to breathe heavy with nervous anticipation. He swings the curtain open to see the body of Rebecca, pale, and the tub filled with her blood. His eyes widen and he takes a step backwards. The bathroom light goes out, and Rebecca stands at the doorway; her face covered in shadows, but Carl catches a glimpse of a big smile on her face. Her eyes appear dead but glisten in the darkness.

"Carl, it's time to go." 



© 2022 Azulberry


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

61 Views
Added on March 2, 2022
Last Updated on April 9, 2022


Author

Azulberry
Azulberry

Hemet, CA



About
I love writing, and I need feedback. Please help yourselves and critique away. If it at the least entertains you, then I'll consider it a win. Days of the Phoenix more..

Writing