Monsters Do Exist

Monsters Do Exist

A Chapter by Azulberry

The rain speaks for mother nature, and comes crashing onto the ground with specific purpose. The cold breeze wraps around me as I sit outside on the porch, just outside from the rain’s touch. My black sweater covers the bruises on my arms. It's my favorite sweater, it's a little worn out and ripped but it means a great deal to me. The front of it states, “A Fire Inside.” I get mocked at school for wearing tight jeans but that's something I can tolerate. What I can no longer tolerate is the monster living in my home. Nobody but myself knows about this monster. It hides in plain sight, as it conceals itself with a mask. I don’t understand how nobody else can see it for what it truly is. It shows its true colors at night, revealing its true ugly face. Sometimes it hides in my closet or under my bed, just waiting to strike. This monster constantly threatens to hurt my loved ones if I dare speak of it to others. It doesn’t want to kill me but it certainly wants to make my life a living hell; and trust me when I say it is a living hell. 

It’s 8:05 PM, and I walk back into my home with great reluctance. Mom is sitting in the kitchen scrolling through Facebook on her cell phone while dad is passed out snoring on the recliner. His beer sits there warm as can be, such a shame. I cruise right by them and head upstairs. I reach the top of the stairs but I stop once reaching the second floor. I notice that my bedroom door is slightly open. Perhaps it was mom retrieving some dirty laundry, but my gut feeling knows better. I take a couple of steps forward as the hallway lights begin to flicker. As I get to the front of my bedroom door I get the unruly sensation that somebody is watching me. I push open the door to get a good visual inside before entering. The flickering hallway lights reveal nothing, the room appears empty. 

I take a step inside and instantly feel how cold it is compared to the hallway. The furnace has been running for hours. I flick my light switch but the lights fail to come on. I for one loathe to leave my bedroom door open, it personally creeps me out; but for the sake of having some light in I decide to leave it open. I do my evening regularities and get into bed hoping to get some actual rest for once. I plug my cell phone in to charge for the night; I close my eyes and begin to drift away.

1:25 AM. I am awoken by a loud noise, seemingly stemming from downstairs. I sit up as my heart begins to race. I brush the hair out of my face and start to listen intently. The sound of footsteps coming up the stairs sends a chill throughout my whole body. The footsteps are slow and diligent as if they are doing it deliberately. I can tell whomever it is has stopped at the top of the stairs. The rain begins to fall harder, making it more difficult to hear. At this point all I can hear is the rain and my heavy breathing. The flickering hallway lights turn off. 

I rush out of bed and sprint to my bedroom door to shut it, as I go to swing the door shut I am impeded by something. Claws reach over from the side of the door trying to force the door open. The claws are huge, furry, and appear to be very sharp. I hear a screeching noise as if it were an animal. But this is no animal noise I have ever heard before. I push with all of my might and slam the door against the monster’s claws. It yelps out a roar that sends another damn chill down my body. The monster pulls its furry claws out of the way and I shut the door and lock it immediately. I run over to my cell phone but it's been unplugged from the charger and cut. My favorite sweater is on the ground and I put it on; inside the inner pocket is my handy dandy knife. 

The monster attacks the door, attempting to open it with force. In the distance of the home I think I hear mom yelling but I can’t make out what she is saying. The door screams in pain as the monster tries over and over to break through. The rainfall crashes down omnipotently and is now accompanied by thunder. The flashes light up the bedroom as part of my bedroom door opens. The monster has broken the center part of the door, but not big enough to enter just yet. I ready my knife but my hands can’t stop shaking. My legs feel like jello as I try to stand my ground. The bedroom door kicks open and I charge it with all of my might and thrust my arm forward. I stab the monster directly in the chest and penetrate it’s heart. I with my momentum push the monster back like an offensive lineman until it goes crashing down the stairs. I grab a hold onto the top of the stairs to not fall with it. It descends hard down the stairs, breaking family portraits that were hung on the wall. 

As I catch my breath my heart is still beating a thousand miles per hour. My vision blurs for a moment as I go to see the monster for what it truly is. Mom runs up to me and gives me a brobdingnagian hug. I notice her lip is bleeding and that she has a bruised eye. As she hugs me I look down upon where the monster fell. The flashing light of the thunder reveals the true monster.



© 2022 Azulberry


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

40 Views
Added on March 2, 2022
Last Updated on April 9, 2022


Author

Azulberry
Azulberry

Hemet, CA



About
I love writing, and I need feedback. Please help yourselves and critique away. If it at the least entertains you, then I'll consider it a win. Days of the Phoenix more..

Writing
Sequester Sequester

A Chapter by Azulberry