4: The Meeting

4: The Meeting

A Chapter by B30
"

The Great Escapade is a sci-fi, thriller, action, fan-fiction adventure in the dystopian future, revolving around politics, people and revenge.

"
'12th December, 2050 

Today is the opening of my aunt's own kindergarten. Hopefully, her business will prosper as almost over a thousand have submitted their applications. Trained teachers, great intensive care and some of the best subjects to be held, this kindergarten will definitely spell a long tale. What I haven't gotten over is why she chose to build a kindergarten than anything else commercially stable. Well Persy's close to the Halvor resident districts, so it might be a great opportunity. 

It's going to be a short blog post guys. Keep me posted with anything you guys have. Love. 

Julia Arenna' 

Julia washed her hands and shoved her mini notebook into her sling bag and was on her way down to her aunt's opening day of the kindergarten. 

"Gosh, it's already 10. I hope I'm not late." Julia swings by the corner of the streets and manages to eventually get a last seater for the bus. 

"Hello Julia." DeBowe says as Julia taps her card on the small little electronic device to pay her bus fare and to take note that she had boarded a bus. "Hey uncle Bowe", taking a seat near the driver's seat as the rest of the passengers get on board. 

"Where ya' going? Not good for a girl alone out there in these damn streets, just to let ya' know." The engine runs and transits across the bus as people get comfortable in their positions. 

"I know. My aunt; she's having her opening of her own kindergarten. It's a gesture of good will and, maybe I'll be patronising." 

"Ever thought of gettin' Helen over there for good? I know you resent these schools but, the education, I'm sure it's better." 

"Government schools, Bowe. It's the same s**t. But yeah, that is one thought that never stops cycling in my head." Julia sighs as her sights are set on the roads between Dragum and Persy. The societies filling their rodents out to play and having their lunch meals off everyone else's misery. 

The sign 'Persy Avenue' signalled the end of the trip for Julia. 

"Take care Julia." 

"You too." The doors closed behind her as she picked up her phone via GPS. Technology is such a gift, but shame Palfer's still not using it right. 

Julia improves her steps as she could hear the crowd atmosphere fever from across two roads. The celebration is buzzing with excitement. Erin spots Julia as she crosses the road and decides to give a warm welcome. 

"Hey aunt Erin!" Julia hugged and kissed on both her cheeks as smiles crept upon their faces. 

"Glad to see you come enjoy the party, Julia. I never thought you'd come over. Aren't you supposed to be working?" Erin's questions were secondary to Grace emerging from the background of the crowd. 

"It's Saturday Erin. Plus a teacher doesn't have to work on Saturdays, do they?" Grace emerges as she strays her eyes atop of Julia's dressing, which she always captioned was very flustering for a woman of her age. 

"Hey Julia. Your aunt and I was just sharing about your little insights. Glad that you could come." She couldn't force a smile, but it was necessary for Grace to put it on. 

"Thanks mom. All this work ethic and the public is driving me insane. At least work is put aside." 

"Grace. I heard that you might want to consider getting Helen over here? I'm actually fine with it." Both set of eyes were now upon Grace. 

"I'm okay with anything. But your comment just really releases that sort of energy I'm keeping. It's a good relaxation remark, I'd say." 

"I thought you disapproved everything when it came to these nurseries. Especially when their recently opened. On your casual days, Helen wouldn't get near these classes with state-of-the-art greatness," Julia's hands were raised, "and I am speaking the truth." All comments were aimed at Grace, her own mother, no doubt. 

A sudden vibration struck in Grace's side pockets of her jeans. Grace's expression changed to similarly natural. "Excuse me." 

Grace turned a corner as she picked up the call. The caller was 'Unknown'. 

"Hello?" Grace attempted a voice unlike her own, and by the sound of the recipient, it seemed she hadn't succeeded. 

"Grace Reese Arenna? We're calling from the Rhettaus head of authority." 

"What is the problem?" 

"I am sorry but we are sworn to secrecy and unable to tell you the exact contents of the call. But we need your attendance at the Federich Ballroom inside the Rhettaus Gates by noon. Every politician old and current - presumably alive - will be there and everyone is needed." Grace was impressed, but not fully. 

"Then you have nothing to mention about. If you can't tell me the contents of the meeting, how can I be of sure that you are telling the truth?" 

"You can check me up, Miss Arenna. My name is Coulis Resto. I am a senior detective and am behalf of Alec Morris to inform you of Palfer's decision. I repeat, we need your attendance." 

'Morris' side dogs. I should've expected better.' 

"Federich Ballroom at noon?" Grace checks her watch. "Alright." 

----- 

The Richardvale gates opened as a shadowy figure walked along the empty streets that led to the steps of Rhettaus' authority. Grace watched her surroundings with submissive eyes. Headlights shone as a red Bentley entered the courtyard as Grace moved around it, inspecting the driver and it's contents. 

'Perdley? Even he is called into this meeting.' 

Dressed in white collared tuxedo, out stepped Perdley Rane. Born with a silver spoon, an articulated and master of nature, he just does both things so well. Recruited into the politics at barely 26, he has stormed the court with Palfer when he was in president notion. Right now, as high chancellor, Perdley has split himself from the hectic world and started his own business and has long forgotten about the world he used to rule. Until now, of course. 

"Grace. How nice to meet you again." Perdley checked his route and managed to stroll over it with ease. His white long pants weren't rustic but magnificent and Grace was just amazed at how simple yet degenerate Perdley was with handling himself and his situations. 

"It's just a shame Perd. You and I, or rather, you and Palfer were on ends when it came to politics. Has your resentment faded over the years?" Grace reached out to hold Perdley's hand, with his chauffeur taking over the elegant car driving away. 

"Your work ethic has greatly impressed me, darling. And no, Palfer and I have something much more than just being bull heads over simple issues. Wonder what's wrong with him to have called past politicians into this outcast place." 

"Well," Grace turned away, gesturing for Perdley to move first. "We'll find out soon, won't we?" 

The halls decorated with spiny drawings by different artists elegantly portrayed the wide Federich Hall. Grace holds on to Perdley's hands as they walk across the hall, voices of many already echoing through. 

"Guess they're early", Perdley says, arcing his head across the empty hall. "Or we're late," he considers. 

A rocking sound of high-heels and a familiar face raced the corners of the halls. Meila Covers came into the foray as she hooked up with Perdley and Grace. Dressed in black with a v-curve and a slinky bare-backed gown, she was astounding and very 'high-class'. She was a modern day example of what girls should look like; even in their mid-fourties. She looked like she had never aged. 

"Ah, beautiful Miss Covers. Even a man would bow in your presence. Surely Palfer's going to need every man or woman he can get." Perdley's charismatic attributes certainly did not leave his breath. Meila and Perdley have definitely worked together in politics for several years, and relationships have bonded along the journey. And with this fact, it is hard to argue that even the former would appreciate and not snap at the expense of Perdley's jokes or mediocre words. Tongue-in-cheek efforts are not used here. 

"Thank you Perdley. Your flair has definitely not left it's touch. I doubt Palfer would even be surprised that so much has gone on in the past years. And you too Grace. We're not lacking in expertise or experience, really. Come on, let's get on with the banquet." 

The cheers and the loud talk enraged as the doors of the Ballroom was equivalent to any celebration elsewhere. The table, filled with glorious food and served with best notions, deserves the best round of appreciation and magnitude for this class of politicians. Sat in the table of course, include the new faces and some old ones. Garner Richards, an architect of the old years; David Rosenberg; an international historian and one was part of Palfer's management and alongside the creation of modern day Rhettaus; lastly, there is Jake Cresswell, business owner of Harver Trimming, offering food and drinks that have achieved international fame worldwide. 

Among the table, sat the presiding Professor Jim Hanks, Francis Liquen and Palfer's aide, Kole Rodgers. 

"What a party we have here. High school graduation." Grace joked as the trio entered the ballroom, off to their seats. Awkward eyes glanced and expressions were also shared between the standing and the seated. It was such a long time ago, yet the indefinite looks were not daunting, but rather friendly. 

----- 

Alec walked into Palfer's study room, as his desk was ridden with notes from many other politicians. Palfer was no where to be seen. Noise then emerged from the back of the door as Alec went to take a look. The study room, bigger and quite likely larger than a normal living room, was occupied with bookshelves and contained many of what Palfer called 'empty phiolosophy'. All of which, to him, were just notes, words and large texts that meant absolutely nothing. These were not to decorate the room, but to make him understand the importance and the face value of the world dipping to an all-time low. 

"Palfer?" Alec called as he stroded towards the backroom as Palfer emerged, looking sturdy but disappointed as his facial expression showed stints of tiredness. "You okay?" Alec's arms were lifted, showing helping after all that Palfer had done. 

"It's okay. Let's go to the meeting." Palfer stumbled, but managed to regain footing. "I'll walk." 

The two walked out of the study room as Alec followed Palfer. The emptiness was suffocating as the thoughts of Zzytes ran across both their minds. 

"I've a way to demolish Zzytes," Palfer spoke as they stepped down the spiral staircase. 

"What?" Alec said, looking and sounding stunned. Palfer grinned and continue his route to the ballroom. 

"Zzytes. He's a cruse to us all. But I've got a trump card, Alec. I'm not sure if you wanna' listen to it though." 

"I'm all ears Palfer. We're dealing with the same enemy after all." 

Palfer stopped his walk and looked straight into Alec's eyes, smiling before turning to continue once again. 

"Zzytes will have to be stopped, his unique physique and all that s**t, it's all bullshit. Superhuman? He's only just human with that stupid teleporting skills; he's nothing. Once a threat, no more." Palfer felt like talking to his own conscience as they landed on ground floor, only several rooms left to the ballroom. 

"I don't get it Palfer. You're little ideas are not physicially doable. It takes time." 

"And you expect Zzytes to walk into our mighty hole and expect us to capture him? Think harder." They both stopped in their tracks. 

"If you're talking about something we're dealing with, I'm not getting you. And I probably never will. But we're dealing with Zzytes. Is he no human to us? Is he not flesh and not soul? Let's not talk about something thus far. We'll do it once we get him." 

"What makes you so sure you can get Zzytes?" Palfer scorned. 

"What makes you so sure you can kill him?" Alec thundered. "Your plan is not weak, but it is unrealistic Palfer. You're two heads and a mind work together like chickens taking time to hatch; patience is key Palfer. If we send our troops out there, we might not get them back. And if we risk our lives, for this s**t that you solely once said that would never come true, you're the idiot playing cards now." 

"You don't question me, Alec. I have nothing of worth while your head is still a hundred dollars billing. You owe them the exact amount they should pay you for." 

"Enough Palfer. We can sit and argue all day and not reach an agreement. I have to warn you first. Zzytes ain't easy to catch and if we do, it ain't easy to keep. The reason he stayed in our jail cells was not remarkable, it was deceit. Did you really think he would sit through 10 years of ordeal in the same dirty s**t place with rats squirming at every sight? Would you? Torture is irreplaceable. And I should once again mention, Palfer. This is not your fight alone. Either we work together or we die alone." 

Alec's speech was solidified. It would take time for Palfer to understand the stakes so highly raised, yet tumbled down with just a push. Alec was right though. Should they work together, they might be still have a sliver of a chance of getting Zzytes. A workmanship alone however, will crumble. The ballroom is expecting the host, and the duo should reach there or there might be a ruin in a mess. 

The side door to the ballroom flew open as Palfer and Alec stepped in, with the guests looking apprehensive about their behaviour. Not just a spat, they believe as they walked over to the table. Palfer eyed Alec as he withdrew to his seat with Mercer and Coulis. Palfer walked over to the stage, before making his way down the short aisle to the table, where supposedly, he's seat is empty as usual. He's dark attitude managed to uplift the little tension surrounding him. With that, he makes his way to his seat, smiling, glancing at every old and new politician who was just enjoying their food. 

"Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. Supposedly today's agenda has nothing to do with food, even if it is laid out on the table, I assure you it is not a mistake or anything else." He snapped his fingers as the lights grew dim. A screen was rolled from behind him as Palfer wielded the notes he had written. His presentation has started. Again, he looked at his crowd. 

"Today, it is not just a special day. I am regretful, to announce that a very suspicious, hostile and deranged teenager, or rather, adult has escaped from Hover Field Prison. Now some of you may not know, some of you do, as we tend to keep our little nitpicks or, defeats, necessarily, from the public and the world. Over a hundred mates have escapde, along of which is Zzytes Hefrald." Palfer looked up as he paused his speech, caring to see if the group was listening intently. The background light was able to let Palfer see Alec standing with his arms fold, waiting for him to announce something desperate. 

"Zzytes is no ordinary man. He is human, but he is not extraordinary. I mean, in case of human terms, he is special. He has the abilitiy never seen before, we never questioned his abilities, and he is a threat to Rhettaus. He is sophisticated, unfriendly, and a vicious vermin to Rhettaus, I repeat. With that, I am pleading all of you, my current comrades and past alliances, to work with me in vanquishing this vile scrap from Rhettaus. You might not know, our friend," Palfer lits his palm towards Alec, "Alec, has already been shortlisted as the one to blame. With that, Zzytes will be in no time, rushing to be looking for us and to kill us one by one." Palfer felt well-done by his speech. 

Grace raised her hand. "I don't get why Zzytes is a threat. I don't see explanation, I don't see evidence." 

"Grace, there is no time for explanation nor time for evidence when the man is still at large." 

"Then Palfer, how the hell are we supposed to know his looks and whatever the hell he is?" David Rosenberg quesitoned. He simply did not demand answers; but he denied explanation. 

"Zzytes will be looked out for by our police, the Dendels, and we will inform you of anything else. Mr. Alec Morris will assist in the findings of Zzytes and he will now return to act as minister of crime and law. All duties are to be set aside until this criminal is found and no more questions are to be raised." Palfer kept his speech in his pockets as he faced the crowd. He signalled for Alec. It was his turn to take the speech. 

The footsteps of Alec was loud, echoing throughout the Friedrich Ball Room. He stood beside the table as he glanced at worrying faces. 

"Do not fear of Zzytes. Keep yourself in check, always have a bodyguard with you at all times and be safe. The Dendels will keep in touch with you, Coulis Resto, Mercer Finch and myself will make separate inquiries so we are to always keep you in check. We really hope that once Zzytes is caught, this hostile threat will remain no more." 

"No questions raised?" Perdley asked. 

"No, Mr. Rane. We expect you to keep your best behaviour and everything aside as usual. We will contact you, if anything else, should anything happen. You are the first ones to notice and you will not be under threat." With that, Alec preisdes back to his original position. 

"There goes the end of this short, impartial meeting. The food is yours to savour, and you may leave anytime." Palfer says as the majority of the people pushed their seats away. 

Grace looked Palfer in the eyes, before turning to walk away. 

"I hope you know what you're doing." Palfer's eyes darted at Alec. 

"I know what I'm doing. You better not do anything stupid. Chancellors are known to fall. And they fall hard." Alec says, grabbing his jacket before leaving with the rest of the group. 

"Zzytes, oh Zzytes," Palfer rubs his palms, "we'll get you one way or the other." 


© 2012 B30


Author's Note

B30
The Great Escapade will be the first of my works, so please give me feedback so I'd know if the story is good enough or is it a rip-off. Effective criticism is welcomed. Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

322 Views
Added on October 8, 2012
Last Updated on October 9, 2012
Tags: the great escapade rhettaus


Author

B30
B30

Singapore



About
My real name is Benny. B30 is my alter-ego in everything I do. I aspire to be pretty much a: director, host, actor, artist, writer and a poet. Although these are just a few, I love writing rhy.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by B30


Crush - Chapter 2 Crush - Chapter 2

A Story by B30