The Box Isn't Everything

The Box Isn't Everything

A Story by Bhumika Devkota
"

This I Believe Essay

"

The Box Isn't Everything

by

Bhumika Devkota


We are told from a young age that if we work hard for something and believe in it, we will get it. However, this isn’t always true. There are so many that we don’t get no matter how hard we try. I believe that we should work hard, not for the end results, but for ourselves. Especially if it is something we love and are passionate for. I learned this when I went shopping with my family two years ago.

Have you ever wanted something so bad and worked so hard for it, but couldn’t have it? That was me in sixth grade. I was forced to tag along with my family while they shopped. We got into the car and drove to a store about thirty-five minutes away. When we went inside the store, I immediately asked if I could go to the book section. This wasn’t anything new, my sister and I always went to the book section, and my parents did the shopping. It was my favorite place in the store. It wasn’t near the refrigerators where the temperature was freezing, nor was it ever crowded. Right next to the books, near the movies, was the place where toys or art supplies were located. I was looking at the things on sale when I saw an art box.

There was nothing that looked special about the box. It was just a plain, simple, brown, 24 x 20 inch box that contained art supplies. However, something about the box captured my attention. I felt a tingle of excitement. As I took a step towards it, I had sudden desire of wanting to buy it. I wasn’t sure why I wanted it. As I analyzed the box with my eyes, I started to feel excited. My sister ran up to me and tapped me on the arm. “Come on, we have to go." I ignored her. At that moment, I knew that I had to get the box.

I also knew my parents would say no if I asked for it. Perhaps it was because I had too many art related things that I barely ever touched. Plus was my sister was the artistic one in the family. I knew that no matter how much I bargained, or asked or got upset, my parents would say no. And I couldn't sit on the floor, refusing to move, and crying as loud as I could, until I got what I wanted anymore. It wouldn't be just be my parents who would get embarrassed by that.   

However, I really wanted the box. So I decided that I was going to buy it with my own money; it would be more rewarding that way. The problem was that the only way I could get any money was if my parents gave it to me and  that was going to be hard because my parents only gave money as a reward for good grades.   

So throughout the year, I worked as hard as I could. I also didn’t worry about the fact that the box might get sold out because it was right there, in the same spot, every single time I visited.

When I had enough money, I went to the aisle near the books and searched for it, excited. The only thing that was in my head was the list of things I could make with the supplies in the box. When I got there, everything from before was still there. All except for one thing: the box was gone.

My brain panicked and my heart skipped a beat. The thing I had worked so hard for wasn't there. My eyes searched at other places. Maybe they just moved it, right? It couldn't just be gone, not after all the hard work. I found myself searching for it, like a person who lost a diamond in a busy street. My heart felt heavy and my breathing slowed down. Where was it? My head started to hurt as my forehead got hot. I was angry and upset. Had all that work gone for nothing?     

Taking deep breaths, I told myself to calm down. I was getting upset over something that all of the sudden seemed so small. I told myself that I can’t get everything I wanted. Plus, I knew that all that hard work hadn't just disappeared. I remembered what my parents had always told me, “You don’t work for anyone or anything. Everything you do, should be so that you can feel proud of you.”

And though it started because of the box, it ended with much more than that. I got good grades and taught myself to work harder. I was able to not just memorize, but also understand the things I learned in school. So even if it was because of the simple 24 x 20 inches box, I had gotten something more rewarding. Plus extra cash never hurts anyone.   


Andrew Carnegie had once said that “Anything in life worth having is worth working for.” And if there is one thing I have been constantly told by my parents throughout my life, it is that you work for yourself, not for others. I believe that we should work hard, no matter what we are working for, whether it is something you can improve on or feel proud about. It is the goal you are thriving for. And even if you can’t get the box, there is something bigger out there waiting for you. All you have to do is be determine and work hard.


This I believe.

© 2016 Bhumika Devkota


Author's Note

Bhumika Devkota
Hi! It's been a long time since I have posted anything so please feel free to give me suggestions and ways to improve this. Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
Added on March 10, 2016
Last Updated on March 10, 2016

Author

Bhumika Devkota
Bhumika Devkota

Albany, NY



About
Hi! I am Bhumika Devkota. I am the youngest from my extended family, which makes me a little - I suppose a lot- spoiled at times. I live with my parents and my older sister, who is currently a senior,.. more..

Writing