Signature Pose

Signature Pose

A Story by Beau-dee-loot

People pressed against the window, all colours, looking in; all colours, crowds of them, lined up, up and down the age scale, waiting, fanatics peering at me; mothers, fathers, daughters. I’m purposely not looking but I can see them in the periphery, against the glass, avid, catching a glimpse of my profile, imagining, thinking what they’ll say in the few seconds we exchange. I keep my eyes averted. There’s a long line of them with their hands cupping their faces at the glass scrutinising my every move, nudging their family, friends, whose eyes are wandering from the task, saying: ‘There he is, look, that’s him.’ The queue moves insufferably slow. I’ve been a member of such queues. But they’re not frustrated, they’re excited, and shuffle interminably closer to the entrance some fifty, seventy feet away (it’s hard to see how far back it goes), and with each shuffle more zeal, more nerves, more pressing against the glass for it all to begin. The signing hasn’t started yet but already the queue slowly, if imperceptibly, steadily moves, condenses, people get closer, fractionally, to each other predominantly, but in their minds they’re already getting nearer to me. These are middle range fans. They’re avid but not crazed. They arrive a few hours before my appearance, to get a good place, but they’re not right at the front. I can’t see those guys, my real fans, the zealots. They’ll be pushing at the door. They’ll be so excited they can’t talk. They just solidly wait. The real fanatics have been here since 5am, earlier, the real ones. Some of the people down the road, equally out of my sight, late comers to the event, won’t get their turn: a book signing can only go on for so long. You have to arrive early. You can’t just drop by and expect to get your signed copy, those days are gone. I’m way bigger than that now. I look away, concentrating on my task. I’m nearly on. Many of these people idolise me. They quote me; they hang on my every word. To some of these people, I am their favourite person, who they would most like to meet, dine with, sleep with maybe. Today some people’s dreams come true. I’m a big part of that realisation. They wish they were me. The next best thing is being with me, getting a signed copy they can cherish. Many are would be authors, celebrities. One day they hope to be me. They’re working on it, day and night some of them. Others have given up. Today might inspire them. They’re squashed against the window, as if to give them the closest view, as if they will maybe osmose through the pane if they keep up the pressure against the glass long enough, for these people believe in the impossible, are not afraid to dream. They believe in the power of thoughts and words over actions. Many are loners who live in their heads. They will give themselves entirely to something that likely will give nothing in return, a prayer. They are believers. I was like them and now look at me, like they look at me and can’t take their eyes off me; dreaming, praying, believing. They know I could be like them, and once was. They’ve read the biographies, the news reel, the copy. They know me inside out, better than I know myself. They continue to stare. I’m about to start signing books. It’s palpable now, the throng pulsing. I can feel it in my blood. They energise me. They’re urging me to sit and start signing; with every breath they urge me. When they finally meet me they hope that some of my magic will rub off, my creativity, transfer to them in a hand shake. Of course they are crazy. If it’s given to them it’s given to them on the page; read my work, but I will inspire them. So meeting me will have some magical effect, motivational. They’ll leave here today, or tonight, changed, developed, and they’ll write probably until the early hours; they will write with a renewed spirit. They will remember me, my encouraging glance, my nod of approval, and they will write like they’ve never written before. I understand that passion. I was once them, and queued for hours, well one hour; writers weren’t as popular back then, before the resurgence: Kindle, Fifty shades, and all that jazz. Now we’re the superstars again. Who would have thought? I like to think I had some part in it. Of course, it makes the queues longer, but it’s a buzz for me. My book: ‘The Dog’s Road Finished’ is on sale at all bookstores, websites, electronic and hard format, at competitive retail. Do yourself a favour, buy a copy.

 

Right, they’re waiting to get this moving now. We’re already ten minutes late. I must remember my roots; I came from that queue. Hang on, who the f**k is this in my seat?

 

“Excuse me, sir. Sir, you’re not allowed beyond the rope. The queue is outside, see, out of that door. See there, sir. Sir?”

 

“But I’m here to sign books, my book.”

 

“Bob, escort this gentleman outside, please.”

© 2012 Beau-dee-loot


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You really know how to my an ending Beau....This was excellent....I think you are one of the best writers I know when it comes to finalies of a great story....Everytime I read one of your stories I know I'm in for a great and shocking ending with alot of meaning and dark humor in a way....It could've been spaced out better because I was getting jumbled up between lines but thats not such a big deal...Still an excellent write...Nothing more than what I expect for you Beau...Keep it up

Posted 11 Years Ago


hahaha that would be the biggest let down ever! you think you're the star and then all of the sudden..BAM. someone else has taken the seat and you're on the sidelines wondering how that happened. good work :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Aha, yes. The delusional are very interesting. And quite condescending.

Posted 11 Years Ago


nice writing contruction, good story

Posted 11 Years Ago


Well done, liked the ending twist...i expect most of us have daydreamed along these lines.

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is a very different style that I am used to reading and it was a very good read.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Very interesting read! At first, I had trouble getting into the rhythm. It almost reads like poetry. Once I got used to the tone, then it drew me in. Love the change up at the end - that was unexpected.

It's almost as if he's daydreaming, and then crashes back to reality. All of the thoughts completely relevant as they pertain to him rather than the people he is applying them to. Great work!


Posted 11 Years Ago


Wooooahhhh... Weird... I like it, it's really well done. :) Interesting read. Great job!

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is so different from anything I've ever read, probably because I tend to stick to poetry, but I absolutely loved it. It reminded me of either Inception or some Law&Order episode I saw once, or maybe a mixture of the two. Anyway, brilliant, complex work. Intriguing. It really made me think, which is always a good sign. Excellent work.

Posted 11 Years Ago


well done Beau-dee-loot, this is an excellent story . :-)

Posted 11 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

574 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 13, 2012
Last Updated on August 13, 2012
Tags: story, short story, fiction

Author

Beau-dee-loot
Beau-dee-loot

Manchester, North West, United Kingdom



About
Hello, if anyone really wants me to read something send me a message - need only be brief, like READ THIS!' - cos these read requests pile up insurmountably. more..

Writing
Broken Broken

A Poem by Beau-dee-loot



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Imagine Imagine

A Story by Beau-dee-loot


The Gown The Gown

A Story by Junert