Life after accountancy

Life after accountancy

A Poem by Beccy

I dined on wine and lettuce leaves
and all the surfeit money brings.
I swam with sharks and ate them up,
Oh, how I filled my selfish cup;
And every corner that I trod
some little trinket I partook;
Oft times for sport, (though most
for gain) and never let the rumour
start that I was empty in my heart.

But sinners turn, or so they say,
from hunter to suppliant prey;
and thus on Sundays I aspire
to cast away all of desire;
Give back with equal amplitude,
and trust a prayer may just suffice,
(though quietly I say amen twice)
You know, a kind of just in case
before I leave this lovely place.

© 2019 Beccy


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Of course I had to read this one to the bottom line. Love the whimsy of the title. And also the uppettyness of verse 1. The moral shift in verse 2 is the most important bit though, with the back firmly turned on more youthful ambition, indulgence, success etc and the focus shifting to a moral sort of accounting where money and numbers do not feature. The first verse serves to accentuate the second perfectly - with a flawless gear change.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

brilliant as usual, Beccy. I suppose there will come a time when everyone will be accountable for their actions.
I like the "just in case"

Posted 9 Years Ago


This poem has very good rhythm to it. I like the image this poem creates in my head. Beautiful and insightful. Well done!

Posted 9 Years Ago


There is more to life than material wealth; our spiritual parts need nourishment as well. I love your approach to this subject that many of us deal with at some point in our lives. I spent more than twenty years piling on work (sometimes two or three jobs at a time) so that I could 'afford' the things I wanted in life when really, what I really needed was always within reach without having to destroy my inner self in the process. Thanks for sharing!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Wit and as Ron says whimsy. Everything this poem should have it has in abundance. And its well written. What more can the reader ask for?

Posted 9 Years Ago


Of course I had to read this one to the bottom line. Love the whimsy of the title. And also the uppettyness of verse 1. The moral shift in verse 2 is the most important bit though, with the back firmly turned on more youthful ambition, indulgence, success etc and the focus shifting to a moral sort of accounting where money and numbers do not feature. The first verse serves to accentuate the second perfectly - with a flawless gear change.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Aaahhhhh......a diet of too much lettuce and wine is bound to leave our hearts empty....I love the journey this poem created......self-reflection.....revelation........thanks for sharing!

Posted 9 Years Ago


If one has learned anything from Dragons' Den, it's always hedge your bets. There is a certain musicality to this piece that belies the wickedness that plays around the edges. This is just wonderful top-shelf stuff.

Posted 9 Years Ago


we will have to account for our actions sooner or later...maybe an amen or two would be wise...

Posted 9 Years Ago


My "happyless" and your "life after Accountability" are both serious attempts at showing
that the greater power is not in us and not in our actions, but in our belief that God
is unchangeable and non-flexible in his or her dealings with us. And no matter
how extraordinarily accurate or vivid our recall "what will await us, Davey Jones or home"
Robert Hayden wrote. It pains me to think that all the things I've amassed over the years,
will not follow me to eternity..

well done beccy.....dana



Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1816 Views
56 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on February 5, 2015
Last Updated on November 22, 2019

Author

Beccy
Beccy

United Kingdom



About
I'm forty four, single and have a lovely fifteen year old son called Charlie. I've been writing poetry and short stories since I can remember. I have always been an assiduous reader of poetry and real.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


If You... If You...

A Poem by s y e


Que Sera, Sera Que Sera, Sera

A Poem by s y e