Disco

Disco

A Poem by Beccy
"

from a memory of how it was

"
Pretty little butterflies
dancing in the light,
with escorts bold 
and brooding
waiting out the night;

like moths they are,
like moths drawn to a flame,
with ice cold eyes
and lustful lips
that never ask your name.

© 2015 Beccy


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh my, this is one good poem! I love the similes and metaphors and the ending line "that never ask your name." It rather puts an abrupt stop to a poem that I wish were longer, but it's effective as it stays in the mind, making me think and think. Well done!


Posted 8 Years Ago


Yep,I know her...well done! :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


The casanova on the dance floor trying his best to be John Travolta is what I remember about disco. Your metaphors are excellent in this. Those cold eyes that scanned their targets were always too selfish to me. It was about capturing the butterfly and using it.

Nice work.

Posted 8 Years Ago


An appropriately dance-like rhyme and structure gently plays this poem's little tune. It almost begins to seem romantic, but there is a cold shaft of reality gleaming through it which is made the more effective by its subtlety. There is more to it than meets the eye, in effect. It almost seems as if it is simply charm, but it deceives to please or vice versa. The contrast between the male and female counterparts comes out like 'slugs and snails' and 'sugar and spice' with the moths and butterflies filling the metaphoric roles. This is just how these ostensibly innocent events really are - a facade. And perhaps a more disturbing one more often than we care to accept.
The motif and concept of the moths and butterflies is a great one. The final line is very telling.
Pretty good stuff.

Posted 8 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Gee
Oh my,reading this I guess I was one of those moths.No need to go out anymore with Internet dating,I suppose.Havent been clubbing for many moons now but don't suppose much has changed.Enjoyed the read

Posted 8 Years Ago


I don't think it's changed that much Beccy. The sinister in this is positively dripping like the drool from these 'night-suitors' mouths at the sight of their prey.
Excellent piece.

Nice to see you again dear friend.
hugs

Posted 8 Years Ago


I was 'taken in' many's a time by those pretty little butterflies ?

Nicely and nostalgically penned Beccy !

Posted 8 Years Ago


those damn moths....all they want is the physical...and in the end leave butterflies with broken wings and broken hearts.
always loved dancing---and in that era...was often on the floor with women with whom i never exchanged names...just a dance or two and a nod.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Wow. This talks about an era that shaped generations in fun and good times consumed with all the trappings. Some survived and some were burnt by it. I think we as humans has to go through stages to reach the one we like or be comfortable with or until we learn hard lessons. An excellent one Beccy....:).....

Posted 8 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
1VJ
I've never been to a disco myself, but we have a disco ball for fun. Was quite the crazed era, makes one want to Watusi!

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

921 Views
22 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 16, 2015
Last Updated on September 17, 2015

Author

Beccy
Beccy

United Kingdom



About
I'm forty four, single and have a lovely fifteen year old son called Charlie. I've been writing poetry and short stories since I can remember. I have always been an assiduous reader of poetry and real.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..