Chapter 6 of Tears For The Wicked

Chapter 6 of Tears For The Wicked

A Chapter by BeeBev

Chapter Six

1808

He carried the sleeping child through the quiet, empty streets. People would be in their homes, sleeping peacefully in their beds. Not a soul was around just yet in this part of town but as he looked up, he noticed the sky starting to turn red. Nearly dawn, the early risers would be out and about soon. He needed to hurry before he was seen. The boy in his arms was small for the age of four, more like a two year old. He was wrapped in a beige wool blanket, his black hair the only thing visible, peeking out of the top. The boy sobbed quietly, the blanket muffling his voice until it was just a loud whisper.

“Mama?”

“Hush now child, your mama’s dead. I killed her.”

The child began to cry again, the Earl covered the boys head and held the blanket tighter. There were a few more muffled whimpers before the child started to quiet down and eventually became silent altogether.

“Ahh there’s a good little fellow.” The Earl whispered as he patted the blanket.

He walked as quickly as he could with the extra weight of the child, the sun racing him in the sky. He feared he would not make it before daylight, before the streets were crowded with villagers going about their business. He turned a corner, then another. He had to dart back to hide in the shadows when he heard voices. His back to the wall, trying to make himself as invisible as possible and he covered the blanketed child with his coat to try and silence any noise that the boy may suddenly make. Two young men passed by carrying sacks of flour and having a very loud, animated conversation. They laughed and joked with each other as they walked out of sight. The Earl waited until they had passed, until their voices faded out, leaving silence except for the birds that had started to wake up and sing their merry tunes. He turned the corner, looking both ways before sneaking off in a different direction to that which the men had gone.

Minutes later, he arrived at the big, old mansion. The building was enormous, the walls a beautiful white that glowed orange in the rising sun. The glow touched the sculpted topiary trees that stood either side of the building, their animalistic shapes rising up like guardians for the hedge maze that stood behind them and the house.

The black, wrought iron gates were slightly ajar and the Earl squeezed through them, careful not to hurt the child in his arms. He walked up the cobbled driveway and through the double front doors.

A servant in a black morning suit walked over. “Sir? What is the meaning of this?” He took the child from his master. “You did not use the passageway, what if you had been caught?”

The Earl placed his hand on the shoulder of the butler and smiled.

“Do not panic Godfrey! I wasn’t seen, I was careful. Men were walking that way so I had to go the opposite way.” He shook his head. “I would not have had the time to get to the passageway if I had slowly sneaked behind them. It was almost dawn when I left the w***e.”

Godfrey shook his own head. His thin, white hair was short and parted smartly to the side. “I really wish you would choose ladies of a higher standard sir. More aristocratic perhaps?”

The Earl threw his hand up in mock annoyance, a smirk on his face. “Godfrey, my dear good man, does it really matter? I am happy to choose either type, money and hierarchy do not matter to me. They all end up in the same place after I have slit their throats or what have you.”

Godfrey bowed slightly. “I know sir but I worry about the diseases they carry. That you might one day catch something that cannot be cured by neither man nor God.”

The Earl put a hand once again on his servant’s shoulder. “Do not worry, old chap. I will not catch even a cold from those vulgar creatures and that goes for blue blooded women too. Well, at least the one tonight will never again spread disease to a fellow gentleman.”

Godfrey’s pencil thin moustache twitched. “Yes sir that’s one good thing. Very good sir, very good indeed.”

The Earl gestured to the child. “Bathe him and put him with the rest.”

Godfrey nodded and started to carry the child away.

“Oh Godfrey?” The Earl called.

The butler turned around to face him. “Yes sir?”

“I will be painting this one in the evening, make sure he is dressed smart and ready by then.” He thought for a moment, his finger tapping on his chin. “Something to suit his jet black hair.  Make sure he is upset, I need to capture the emotion.”

“As you wish sir.”

With that the Earl departed to his bedroom as Godfrey carried the child away.



© 2015 BeeBev


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

181 Views
Added on February 4, 2015
Last Updated on February 4, 2015


Author

BeeBev
BeeBev

United Kingdom



Writing
Panic Attack Panic Attack

A Poem by BeeBev


Voiceless Voiceless

A Poem by BeeBev