Daddy's Little Girl

Daddy's Little Girl

A Poem by Closed Account
"

Ehh...

"

I can still remember when I was 3.

When you’d play dolls with me,

And tuck me in at night.

You’d always make sure to leave the door open a little bit, so it wouldn’t be quite so dark.

Before you’d leave, you’d always tell me the same thing.

“I love you sweetie. No matter what happens, you’ll always be my little girl.”

 

I can still remember when I was 6.

You went to my first parent-teacher conference.

You came home, and kept joking about how bad my teacher had told you I was.

Then we’d laugh, and go out to do something fun.

And every time, when we were sitting in the car, you’d tell me the same thing.

“I love you, baby. No matter what happens at school, you’ll always be my little girl.”

 

I can still remember when I was 10.

You’d help me with my homework, and in return, I’d help you cook dinner for the family.

Right after dinner, you’d send us to our rooms so you could talk to mom.

We’d all go to my room, and listen to you two yell at each other.

All huddled together, you found us, and tucked us in ours beds for the night.

And, when it was my turn, you’d always say the same thing.

“I love you sweetie. No matter what happens between me and your mom, you’ll always be my little girl.”

 

I can still remember when I was 14.

We would go between your new house and our old house.

When I was with you, you couldn’t do anything right.

You’d always try to be the good guy, but we knew you were both to blame.

But, when it was time to do homework, you’d help me, and I’d still help you with dinner.

But, after, there was no screaming or fighting.

Eventually, we’d all get tired, and you’d come to say goodnight.

And, even then, you’d still say the same thing.

“I love you sweetie. No matter how old you get, you’ll always be my little girl.”

 

I can still remember when was 15.

It was a summer day, and we were at mom’s.

The phone rang, and I answered.

It was your girlfriend, telling us you’d died in your sleep.

I knew nothing would ever be the same.

No more late nights, talking.

No more helping with dinner.

But, I still remembered the words you’d always tell me, at the most random times.

“I love you sweetie. No matter what happens, you’ll always be my little girl.”

Now, I know that I’ll never hear you say that again.

 

And, now, as time continues to fly by, I’m almost grown up.

I’ll be graduating high school in the spring.

You won’t be there to see me get my diploma.

And you’ll never get to walk me down the aisle.

But, just like you always told me,

no matter what happens, I’ll always be your little girl.

© 2010 Closed Account


Author's Note

Closed Account
I don't know about this. Tell me what you think, please?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was a very heartfelt poem. To be able write about this and put this together so beautifully is amazing keep righting.

Posted 13 Years Ago


whoa, this poem was... wonderful but so sad. when you talked about how you were 15 and you got that call, it sent chills through myentire body. i dont know what i would do if my stepmom called and told me that. i think you're strong for being able to write this and i think you put it together in a great way. you didnt put it in a rhyme and i think thats good because its one of those poems that is so moving and great it doesnt need a rhyme to help improve it. this is truly great and im going to favorite it. wonderful work!

Posted 13 Years Ago


oh my gosh this is so powerful i have tears in my eyes =/ amazing work

Posted 13 Years Ago



wow, that was extrememly touching. This pulled at my heart strings because I'm also a teenage girl and my dad and I have always been close. I definitely think that a girl's dad is her best friend and you described that really well in this poem, great job.


Posted 13 Years Ago


wow, so many memories, it makes me feel sad, but glad... Im sorry Im emotionally affected by things easily, he he

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is very good... It kinda reminds me of a friend who lost her dad a couple of years ago when she was 11 or 12.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Oh my God it made me cry a little.
And girl, that's saying something.
Is this a true story?

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
r
oh my god, that's so sweet and sad! I'm serious! I was reading this and my eyes filled up with tears! Omg. I'm trying not to cry. Wow. Amazing. Definitely a favorite of mine. *sniffles* God, I am such a baby. And I love the last lines the way he's always saying like "i'll love you no matter what ur always my little girl" I love that. Amazing, amazing BEAUTIFUL poem.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Sounds like my life, down to the years. I really hope my dad doesn't die soon.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is soooo beautiful! That was AMAZING! I really loved reading it. The last verse is my favorite. Scratch that- the last paragraph is my favorite. :) Nice!

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

386 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on July 30, 2010
Last Updated on August 1, 2010
Tags: Death, Daddy's little girl


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Accusations Accusations

A Chapter by ashley