Coming Home? (Part 1)

Coming Home? (Part 1)

A Story by Closed Account
"

(The title doesnt really have anything to do with part 1, it's really for part 2, but i didnt want to have 2 different titles so yeah lol. just, btw.)

"

   Nathaniel and I were two completely different people. He had already graduated, unlike me. I’m still stuck in this hell-hole of a town, with no where to go. He’s off to help defend his country. I’m stuck here, trying to defend my grades so I can graduate this year. In less than 2 weeks, he’ll be leaving to go join the army, something I’ve always wanted to do, but have never had the guts to actually think about really joining. So, like I said, we’re not very alike. Which is why I’m confused as to why I fell in love with him.

   I mean, I’d always had a crush on him. He was super cute, and so sweet. He’d always make time to talk to me if I was upset. He was like the older brother I’d never had, even though he was only a year older. But, it really all started during the weeks before he left. Nate was going to be stationed in Iraq, and he didn’t know when he’d be home, so he decided to make the most of his time left in town. He planned to spend as much time with his family and friends before he left, which was in 2 weeks.

    I didn’t see him much the first week. I ran into him around town a few times, but he was usually with his friends, and I didn’t want to bother them, so I didn’t stick around for too long. It wasn’t that I didn’t like his friends. Sure, they were nice, but sometimes I felt like I wasn’t wanted when they all hung out together.

     The weekend finally came, and Sunday afternoon found me busy, shopping for school supplies. I was at the mall, about to leave, when I decided to stop by the food court. While waiting in line, I felt someone tap me on my shoulder.

    “Hey, Sammi. Where have you been? I’ve been trying to call you all day.” Nate seemed kinda lonely, which made sense, seeing as he’d been surrounded by his friends all week long.

   “Oh, I’m sorry Nate. I’ve shopping all day. Ya know, trying to finish up school shopping. Did you need something?”  

   He smiled. “Yeah. I was actually wondering if you were doing anything this week? Because, I haven’t been spending much time with you, and I don’t want to leave without having spent at least a little while with you.”

   “I don’t think I am. I finished work last week, so I’m probably free. What did you want to do?” My heart skipped a few beats. ‘He wanted to spend time with me? Why?’

   He didn’t give me much time to think about why. “I’m not sure yet. I was thinking of maybe a movie day at my house sometime during the week, and then, maybe on Friday, we could go to the beach. And of course, on Saturday, you’ll come to my house before I leave, so I can say bye. I mean, if you want to. If you don’t, it’s cool. I’ll understand.”

    I smile. “I’d love to. But are you sure you want to spend your last week at home with me?”

    “Of course. You’ve always been there for me, and we’ve always been good friends, and I really hated not being able to hang out with you last week. I mean, you could’ve come with me and my friends, but we didn’t do much. So, I definitely want to hang out with you.  And you don’t have to worry, all my friends left for college this week, so yeah.” He seemed to really want to hang out with me. I tried to just accept it, and not ask myself too many questions.

   We finished talking, agreeing to meet the next day at his house to decide what to do. So, my week was booked solid, and I had a major crush. How much better could life get for me?

 

 

~The end of the week (Saturday morning, before the good-bye party)~

 

“I had so much fun this week, Nate. Thank you so much for, well, everything!” I gave him a big hug, and smiled.

   “No problem, Sammi. Thank you for putting up with me all week” We both laughed.

   “I wish we could do this again. Like, I wish you had another week before you leave. But, I know you have to go…” I looked at the ground. I felt the tears forming in my eyes. During this week, I’d really started to like him, more than I had before. I guess, that without really knowing it, I’d fallen for him.

    “Sammi? What’s wrong? Don’t cry, please.” He said, wrapping his arms around me. I felt safe there in his arms, but I knew that I wasn’t going to be able to do that again for a while, so I held onto him for as long as I could.

    “It’s just…I don’t want to let you go. Now that I’ve spent this week with you, getting to know you better, even though I already knew almost everything about you, I just…I don’t want you to leave, because once you’re gone, I won’t be able to see you, or hear your voice, or hang out and laugh with you, just like we’ve been doing all week.” I let my tears fall down onto his shoulder, and Nate tried to wipe them all away.

   “Sam, I don’t want to leave you either. But, this is what I have to do. I have to protect my country. I have o protect you. And while I’m out there, I’ll be thinking of you every second, because…Samantha, sometime during this week, you made me fall for you. And I fell hard. I love you, Sammi. I always have, ever since 4th grade when we met, I knew we’d be together someday. But I still have to go, no matter how much I don’t want to leave you.” He hugged me tighter, and I tried to keep breathing. I could believe what he’d just said. ‘He loves me?’ I thought I was hearing things, but when I looked at him, I could tell I wasn’t.

   “Nate…I…I love you too. I just took me so long to realize it. And, I know, you have to go. Just, promise me you’ll be careful, and you’ll write to me. I don’t want to lose touch with you.” I tried to smile a little, but I couldn’t manage to make it believable. I could tell he wasn’t convinced by my smile.

   “Baby, don’t worry. I promise, I’ll write you every day, even if I can’t mail it that day, I’ll still write. But if I promise something, you have to, too.”

  “Okay, what?”  I was curious. What could he want me to promise?

    “Promise me, that no matter what happens while I’m gone, you’ll remember me. I’m sure you’re going to find another guy to replace me, but don’t forget me, please?”

   Hearing him say that made me cry harder. “I could never, ever replace, Nate. I’ve been waiting so long for my chance to be with you, and just because you’re not on the same continent as me doesn’t mean I’ll move on or forget you. Because, no matter what happens, I’ll NEVER forget you. I promise.”

   It was quiet for a minute after that, and we just stood there, with him holding me in his arms. And, what happened next was completely unexpected. He kissed me! It didn’t last long, but it was enough to leave me breathless.

   “No matter what happens, Sam, I promise I’ll always love you too.” We both smiled, and walked into his going-away party, hand in hand.

© 2010 Closed Account


Author's Note

Closed Account
I know, it's sappy. But, it's only part 1. And it's completely a true story, only it didn't happen to me, it happened to a friend of mine, and she let me turn it into a story. Sooo, yeah. Check back for part 2 soon! Please tell me what you think about this so far??? Any advice/criticism/ etc.?? Thanks for reading! <3

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I liked it, but I would add in some of what they did during the week.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I cried like a baby! ILOVEEEEEEEEEEE IT! Gah Im a softy lol This was amazing

Posted 13 Years Ago


Enjoyed it. It was a bit rushed but I enjoyed the soppy romnace at the end. I like romance. I would really like you to post up part two pronto! Great work.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Even though you claim it's "sappy", I think otherwise. :P I really like this. Can't wait for part 2!

Posted 13 Years Ago


This was actually an enjoyable story. A guy I am close to is joining the military in a couple of weeks, and I hope we will be able to spend some time together soon. Suffice to say, this story is quite close to my heart. Please PLEASE continue it!!

xoxo Caitlyn xoxo

Posted 13 Years Ago


The dialogue and the thought process was hard to keep up with because they were both the same. Try not to use two people talking in the same PARAGRAPH because that sort of threw me off too. A few grammar errors, of course. Other than that I enjoyed reading this piece.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very good.

Posted 13 Years Ago


hm.... interesting and well writin

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

200 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 7, 2010
Last Updated on September 7, 2010


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..