Valentine

Valentine

A Chapter by Sadie Cahill
"

A world controlled by machines, Devoid of emotions, Young man, Valentine, Take the hammer, Build your way out, Of this prison of freedom and satisfaction, And lead your people to how it was before.

"

A couple sat in a silent line. The walls are bare, except for some seats and potted plants. Everyone hadn’t dared speak. The atmosphere was tense.


A ping made everybody jump. They turn to the red light. The door slid open.


At these times, everything is automatic and machine made. Automatons and cyborgs walk among living humans, buildings that reached the sky towered over small people as if they were ants.


Laws were passed to the extent that everyone doesn’t have free will anymore. Their lives, ruled by machines and humans at the same time. People dared not rebel, they are satisfied with their lives. It was because an extraneous factor is removed from their minds.


Emotion.


The fiery anger. The burning passion. The blank apathy. The wet sadness. The dark depression. Everything is gone.


In man’s desire to achieve freedom, they have been captured instead. Now locked in a wide cage they call the world, the cage also locked in an even bigger cage they call reality.


We return to the parse building. Every distracting object, removed from human and machine’s eyes. It is as blank as a slate and lacked emotions. Much unlike its owner.


Victor Valentine, the man renowned to have changed the views in morality of relationships. Every relationship that will be formed is to be acknowledged by a court of machines known as Eros.


Friendship and acquaintances are instantly acknowledged and placed in the person’s profile as soon as they meet and got to know each other. The profile measures the amount of nerve impulses in the brain released whenever the person is speaking with a stranger and determines if they will be friends, enemies, or lovers.


It was a breakthrough in technology. Back then, people would have objected, but what can they do now? They were nothing but machines enjoying this thing that they call paradise.


Though his breakthrough was incredibly inhumane, Victor Valentine was an extremely passionate man. He regrets his major mistake which was the development of Eros. But he knew that this would be the chance of waking the whole world once again.


Starting the July 12, XXX7 time 005557, Victor Valentine released a code that he had just finished making into the Eros system. 

This code will activate a dormant region in the person’s brain and thus at least, spark a hint of emotion.


Thus, the people undergoing appointments in the Eros facility woke up. Though, it was only at a major percentage of mankind.


The code was immediately terminated once Eros discovered its threat. Sudden burst of neural impulses is recorded in the awakened profiles.


Slowly the town woke up, rebellions sparked. Mankind overthrew machine. And it was all back to normal.


Soon, people will forget what had happened, and build it back up again.



© 2017 Sadie Cahill


Author's Note

Sadie Cahill
As for Valentine, the song reminded me of an extremely modern place. Though Valentine isn't a very nice topic, I first assumed that it had to be love, then my thoughts changed. What if I made Valentine a person? And thus, I finally got over the complexity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2you195xEQI&list=PLLLYkE3G1HEBjOwevVnv-x3OxNqjhVp5f&index=3

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
Added on July 12, 2017
Last Updated on July 12, 2017
Tags: Valentine, Machines, Emotions, Sci-fi, Utopia, Flash Fiction, Short Story, Fiction, Science Fiction, Science


Author

Sadie Cahill
Sadie Cahill

Manila, Luzon, Philippines



About
An easygoing person. Would write anything that comes to mind and anything that would. more..

Writing
Lastly Lastly

A Story by Sadie Cahill


Demise Demise

A Poem by Sadie Cahill