COOL JOE, CHAPTER 11

COOL JOE, CHAPTER 11

A Story by Betty Hermelee
"

FAMILY SAGA

"

COOL JOE, Chapter 11

 

FRANKIE

One Day Later

 

I got word from Pete that Robbie’s release is tomorrow!  Wow that is so great! I know he’s battered, but hey, he’s alive and he’s a strong guy and will heal, especially with Sylvia’s tender care, and, of course all of us will help, he’ll need the company. I just hope he’s okay mentally, cause those guys can be really tough on anyone, no nonsense mobsters.

 

Well, the news here is that Anna and me, we’re arguing more and more about everything. It’s grating on me and her and I think it’s going to come down to me moving out soon. With all that’s happened in our family, we haven’t told our kids yet. We were about to when we got a hysterical call from Sylvia, that Simone was having a nervous breakdown. So, life goes on, but not too peacefully and we’re actually sleeping in separate rooms. She gets the “Queen’s” room and I sleep in the den on the couch. I guess we’re gonna have to tell the kids tonight.

Here comes Anna to let me know dinner is almost ready.

“Hey Frankie, I know you’re tired from work, but can you raise yourself up to come to dinner in ten minutes?”

“Sure, my dear Anna, but are we telling the kids tonight, barring any unusual phone calls?”

“Yes. My dear Frankie, so we need to chat for a minute while they’re still doing their homework.”

“Okay, shoot, what do we say?”

“I think we should sit them down and say we have something to talk about, okay?”

I think Anna wants to get this over already, and me out of the house.

“Yeah okay, you do most of the talking, then I’ll put in my two cents.”

 

We are now at the kitchen table with Frankie, Jr. and Gracie. Anna brings in ice water, then goes back and gets the salad. She gives each of us our plate and sits down.

“Kids? says Anna with a kind of squeaky voice, “Dad and I have some things to discuss with you, is this a good time?”

“As good as ever”, says Frankie Jr.

“Fine”, says little Gracie with a coy look on her face.

“I’ll start”, says Anna and then Dad will speak too.

“Well, you see kids, me and Dad are not getting along these days, we’re not as happy together as we used to be. Now, you know it’s not your fault at all. We both love you very much and we respect each other too. So, we’re going to separate for a while, sort of like a trial.”

I’m starting to sweat and feel so bad for them; I can see a little teardrop on Gracie’s face.

 

“The plan is that Dad is going to move out, but close by”, says Anna very directly.

“But? Says Frankie Jr, a questioning look. Will we see Dad a lot? I mean sleep at his new place?”

“Of course, you will, like almost every day”, says I. I can even pick you up at school sometimes and we can go to Coney Island and have lots of fun together. Don’t worry, I still love you both very much and I’ll be around the corner.

“But Dad? Can you still tell me scary stories at night?” says Gracie, trying to be brave.

“Sure thing, sweetie pie, that will never change,” Now Grace has a smile on her face.

I’m not sure that Gracie understands all that’s going on, she’s only eight.

Anna chimes in:” Are you kids okay with this arrangement, just for a trial period, then we’ll see how things go.”

“But who is going to take care of you Mom?”

“You, Frankie, you’re going to take care of me.”

“Can I take care of you too?”, says Gracie, with a cheerier face.

“Dad?”, did you find an apartment yet?” Say Frankie Jr, inquisitively.

“Not yet, but I’m looking.”

I’m thinking to tell them that Robbie is coming home tomorrow.

“Hey, you both need some sleep, cause guess what? Uncle Robbie is coming home tomorrow!”

 

We keep discussing plans for a while and then it’s time for the kids to finish their homework and get to bed. Anna says she is going up to “her room” and she will see me in the morning.

 

I’m still hopping, not tired, so I think I’ll give Pete a call, see what’s up.

“Hello Pete, how ya doing buddy? Checking in to get the final plan. Hey, can I join you and Danny for the pick up?”

I’m listening carefully as he’s talking softly, maybe he’s tired.

“Oh, I see, so two is the maximum from the boss, okay then give me a call after you pick up Robbie, can’t wait. Okay then bro, good luck and I’ll hear from you tomorrow. By the way, what time are you picking him up? Ah ha, 10:00 AM? Great, I’ll be glued to the phone, even at work.”

 

Now I’m pretty tired and nervous about Robbie, I think he’s in really bad shape, so upsetting.

I go upstairs to see the kids before they go to bed. I’m ready to tell Gracie a scary story which she loves, even before sleep. I give them each a kiss, close their doors, the “queen’s “door is closed. I go downstairs and flop on the sofa bed, say my prayers for Robbie and snore myself to sleep.

 

The next morning, I wake up before everyone, Robbie on my mind, and got to go check out a new construction, to see how much cement we need. I take my jalopy to work, cause it’s a messy, dirty business. Sometimes it starts up, sometimes not. I am lucky today. I left Anna and the kids a note that I had to leave early for work.

 

My boss, Gerry, tells me that the cement is of poor quality and they had to mix it with something to get it to stick. He says that I should make sure the trucks have the right cement before leaving the plant. I apologize and tell the boss that it won’t happen again, So, I walk around the work site to make sure the mixers are doing the right thing, schmooze with them for a few minutes and walk to my car. Just as I’m about to get into my car, I get a call from Pete.

 

Phone call

“Hi bud, it’s Pete, Danny and me, we’re on our way to pick up Robbie, you want to meet us there?”

“Sure, I’d love to. Give me the address and I’ll wait outside for you. I hear him giving me numbers and street name and then he says be quiet and don’t talk to anyone. Now I’m a little frightened.

 

So now I’m outside this huge brownstone mansion, where Pete told me to go, and I’m pacing back and forth with my hat on and my head down; Oh, I see Pete and Danny coming, (I cross myself).

“Hey guys, this is quite a place, very swanky, but I bet all of them live like this, right?”

Pete says, “hush, we have to act like gentlemen, and follow orders, okay?”

We both nod, and follow Pete. Knock on door. Butler answers the door and takes us to the waiting room.

Now I’m sweating and feeling very anxious, I have a sad heart right now for some reason.

 

After about twenty minutes, the butler says to follow him. He takes us into the boss’ office, and says to sit down, he pulls up another chair. Soon, the boss comes in and takes us into a dark chamber, it’s empty, no Robbie! We are all stunned…. more than stunned…

Pete asks the boss where Robbie is and he leads us back to his office, complete silence, by now we’re all sweating and horrified. We prefer to stand and listen.

“Uh hem, I’m going to be straight with you”, says the boss.

“Robbie is dead”! “He lied to us, and we do not tolerate that kind of behavior.”

All three of us put our hands over our faces and gasp. Pete starts to weep.

“Where is his body?” Danny says with an angry voice, “I demand to know.”

“We don’t give out that information, it’s private for us. Just know he’s dead.’

Pete gathers his thoughts, “You told us the other day that he would be released! What happened between then and now.

“I’m not at liberty to say, it’s against our code. Now if you would please let me get back to my work, I would appreciate it.”

 

The three of us walk out crying like babies, cause we don’t understand and we are devastated.

We hug each other in a circle, just shocked and disbelieving; Danny says we should go to a bar and get drunk. We decide not to call anyone at the moment and Pete says If Sylvia calls, please do not answer it. We stop crying for the moment, and now we’re all angry and vengeful. Pete says, “If it’s the last thing I do, I’m going to find my brother.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2021 Betty Hermelee


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review




Reviews

Low Dow dirty lying thieving cheating scumbag gangsters. It's a sad day when there is no honour among thieves, but can now see that the boss who thinks he's in control might tie the day he didn't keep his word.
And can only imagine the screams and hurt about to come to the rest of the family in the coming chapters.
Did not see that coming at all and even had my pre conceived ideas of the following chapters burst like a bubble mid thought.
Seeing as the following chapters are already posted, will give my thoughts despite being wrong so far. I reckon it's time for the women to take control and sort this boss out. Woman scorned etc 😊

Posted 3 Years Ago


Betty Hermelee

3 Years Ago

You're never wrong Lorry.. I'm writing to surprise people, otherwise it's not a page-turner!!! Thank.. read more
Now, is he dead or is this a ruse.
Is revenge in the air, is Pete capable of killing the boss man.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Betty Hermelee

3 Years Ago

You’ll see...keep reading!t
Some twists and turns
Thanks for your review!
Bet.. read more
We seem to be doing a sort of rotation in this story, each chapter dealing with a different family member's reaction to Robbie's situation. This time it's Frankie, who is also in the middle of a domestic situation with his wife, Anna. She and Frankie have not been getting along, and we are shown the way they break the news of their trial situation to their children. The way this part of the story goes down takes up a large part of the chapter, but always the situation with Robbie hangs like a dark cloud over everything. Frankie gets a call from his brothers and joins them in their visit to the boss, who has called a meeting. The boss is quite blunt in informing them that Robbie is dead, but gives out no further info before dismissing the brothers. They are heartbroken and decide to numb their grief with booze, but Pete voices a determination to find out what has happened to Robbie. The story keeps a thread of tension and curiosity alive very well, and we can't wait to see what the bereaved brothers do next.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Betty Hermelee

3 Years Ago

Thanks John for your faithful reading! Really appreciate it!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

61 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 24, 2021
Last Updated on February 24, 2021

Author

Betty Hermelee
Betty Hermelee

Black Mountain, NC



About
My love of poetry results from my love of art. As a painter I am able to express myself on a canvas. As a poet my words come from my heart, my moods, sometimes sad, mostly upbeat. I like to use vivid .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Haiku #21 Haiku #21

A Poem by mattavelli


24 24

A Poem by Laconic Meraki





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5