Don't fear the Boogieman

Don't fear the Boogieman

A Poem by P.J. Amey
"

Life isn't about what-ifs

"
Mama,
I can't sleep
The room is dark
And I am weak
And I cant dream
Cause all I see are nightmares

That's when
She walked in
And comfort
It sets in
And I feel
Better than I have been

She says
Son wont you lie down
And let go of all your fears
There's nothing in your closet
Nor a sound for you to hear
The nights been calm for most it's span
Be brave
And don't fear the boogieman

As I aged
And as I grew
The terrors and nightmares
Unfortunately
They did too
What was once a creature in my closet
Was now a job, a wife and bank deposits

As much as I hate
That I'm awake most the night
I still feel the same way
Just with much different frights
What if I'm laid off
What if I lose
My wife and my kids
And all that I do.

My love then rolled over
And grabbed on my arm
Said unto me
The most keen words thus far.

She says
Hun wont you lie down
And let go of all your fears.
Not a single thing is wrong
Nor has been for years.
Your life has been great for most of its span
You know better than this
Don't fear the boogieman.

© 2016 P.J. Amey


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I expected a terrifying story.
I mean, it says don't fear the boogieman at the title.
But I was expecting it to be a 'Don't fear the boogiemen' sarcastically.

Anyhow, great little poem.
It really radiates with the warmth and love of a protecting mother.
And obviously it is very sweet that the wife overtakes that role so seamlessly.
Good job.

Posted 7 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I liked this..It was so different from the stuff which I usually get to read on this site..It was interesting and thought provoking..Great read..
Keep writing..

Posted 5 Years Ago


hmm. clever & thought-provoking. we do trade our childhood fears for adult versions. "we have nothing to fear but fear itself." no need to be afraid of the dark, only ourselves ...

Posted 6 Years Ago


This was a great read. When you mentioned the boogieman when you're an adult, I could really relate. Good job.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I loved it. as a child I was afraid of the "boogieman" too. and as an adult, sometimes I still lie awake obsessing about those groundless fears we all have. glad it ended on a positive note, good job.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The point of the poem is made very clear. What I particularly like was the two characters - the mom and the wife - who end up becoming the same. I really enjoyed that touch. Overall, it's not a difficult poem to follow. What I did not like about it, and perhaps that is just personal values, is that it's too straightforward. "A job, a wife, and bank deposits", "what if I lose my wife and my kids and all that I do". It's fair, definitely, but I'm more of a subjectivity type o' guy. I think of making others have to think. Way I see, giving out the information on a silver platter makes it less of a challenge, and, consequently, less entertaining. But anyhow, it's a good job. I enjoyed it.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like the way his fears are gently relieved by the ones he loves. The 'boogieman' is a wonderful metaphor for all that worries us and makes us frightened. You are quite right, if we don't allow ourselves to be frightened, we often manage to overcome the fear. Nicely done.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Excellent piece of poetry. Great work!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hi there. There's some delightful stuff in here. My favourite is probably the sort-of chorus that is repeated structurally at the end with quite minimal word changes. It may cause a wry smile if I tell you that my band has written a song called 'Only the leaves' on exactly this theme. In my case the 'inspiration' was a small group of high trees that would never stop rustling, especially noticeably when everything else quietens down. So your poem took me straight there. Nice job!
Nigel

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It reminds me of the tree that cast a really unusual shadow across my window in my new bedroom when I was about 6 yrs old. Great Piece. The compassion in this poem was special.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

P.J.
Well written poem dealing with natural fears. Close to retirement and a grandpa, I have lived through all the long sleepless nights you refer to. It was refreshing to remember those moments as I read your poem. One builds strength and character surviving and coming out on top. Thank you for your fine words.
Blessings,
Richie b.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

800 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 13, 2016
Last Updated on June 13, 2016

Author

P.J. Amey
P.J. Amey

Allentown, PA



About
Thank you for stopping by and reading what I have to share. Much love and thanks, -P.J. Amey more..

Writing
Want Want

A Chapter by P.J. Amey



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Falling Falling

A Story by Samuel Dickens