Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by ZachGray

“Why do you have to go daddy?” tears breached the barriers her lashes held, “you promised you would be here for my recital.” The summer breeze blew her golden hair across my face as I held her. She seems so big for only being on this earth 5 years. “I know sweetie, but daddy has to help the president with the bad people.” The tears now reached my eyes, but I had to stay strong. To her, nothing could be wrong; daddy would be back soon… “Sir, its time to go.” The government official said, holding back any emotion that had moved him. I set my daughter down, my wife holding back from running to my legs. “Goodbye.”

“Wake up John.” The boat shook from the overworking motor, giving me the uncontrollable need to vomit. “Hold it back,” he said as if knowing my heaves arising “you’re going to need the energy. We’ll be the second wave coming through. Radio says machine gunners are giving a heavy defense, so don’t expect to touch the beach at all.” Our Captain seemed to have the driest humor about us living or not, but I don’t blame him. It’s the truth; this whole group may die from the heavy fire of the Axis forces before a single shot is made in our attack.

Minutes dragged on after everyone had given up the idea to talk and forget about the up coming events. There’s no point in making friends with a potential statistic. I was saved the time of making a friend, for my neighbor, Steven, was on board with me. I still haven’t decided whether that was a curse or a blessing, but it is nice to have a familiar face with me. 

“Three minutes till arrival Captain!” the driver shouted over the roar of the distant firing. Even the screams made it this far out to sea, unnerving the strongest of men. Only the men that have experience with this war can overcome this, and not show a sign of it. They’ve already lost hope it seems. “One minute!” the time seemed to be moving fast now, like fate is anxious to see the clash of bullet and bodies, the spray of lead and blood, the fusion of metal and man. 

DONG. The door clashed with the beach, red waves engulfing the entrance, and a fresh supply of blood filled the sea. Men fell before a move was made, causing it to cover me into a thick red. I was stunned, even our captain had fallen, and I could almost see the next round for me… 

“WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING!” a voice screamed from behind as the powerful pull of a hand took me over the side of the boat. The water was even redder down here than in the vessel. I was pulled above water to see Steven valiantly fire directly toward the gunners, and the sound of blasting became a bit quieter. We swam toward the beach, bullets hitting men and water around us, the spray endlessly stinging our eyes. We reached the barricades metallic barricades, the ring exploding in our ears endlessly. It seemed we were prime targets. More men began to flood the beach, making our return fire near the stress they placed on us. 


© 2011 ZachGray


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

99 Views
Added on December 1, 2011
Last Updated on December 1, 2011


Author

ZachGray
ZachGray

WA



Writing
That night... That night...

A Story by ZachGray


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by ZachGray


John Daily John Daily

A Book by ZachGray