•{Chapter 1}•

•{Chapter 1}•

A Chapter by BlackNightshade

"It's peaceful, isn't it?"

His voice snapped me from my thoughts.
I tore my gaze away from the window, and the lightly drizzling skies outside, to face him.
For a moment I was befuddled by his question, but as I came too, I realized what he was referring to.
The rain.

"It's wet." I replied flatly, turning away again to scowl at the dreary grey scenery through the glass. "And cold. And miserable."
I had already decided; I hated Alaska.

The officer sighed and I could see his figure behind me, reflected in the station's window.
He clasped his hands behind his back and looked briefly down at the floor, then watched me for while before he spoke.

"I'm... Sorry for your loss." The mans voice seemed sincere, but his words were too classic; overly used. "I really am."

"That's what they all say." I replied dully, glaring hard at the blurred and runny outline of the distant trees through the rain-streaked window pane, stubborn not to meet his gaze.
Thinking if I did, I might cry, might break, might slip...
I was determined to appear fine, and strong.
Forcing myself to forget, to move on.
But can I ever?
Do I want to forget?

It had been almost a year now since Mom and Rick had died.
I had never called Rick dad, he was my stepfather, but I still loved him just as much.
Mom never spoke of my dad, and I often wondered if he was even still alive...
But none of that mattered now, I couldn't afford to dwell on the past if I was ever to progress and move on, to make a new start in a new state.
But then again, did I want to start over?
No...
I only wanted to go back, to be home again, but that was impossible, I knew...

Once again, I was pulled away from my contemplations.
And this time, it was the door.
I hesitated to turn, I'd only ever heard her name: Roxanne.
This is where I am to live now, and who I am to live with.
Supposedly she is my only other relative, an aunt.
Was she truly as insane as they said?

"Vanessa?" A woman's voice questioned, and I looked down at the floor as I heard my aunt approaching.

She stopped right in front of me.
I cautiously dragged my head up from the floor, looking up at Roxanne.
I stifled a gasp of surprise as my hand flew over my mouth, she looked exactly like my mom, except her eyes were blue.
Mother's had been brown.
I don't know what I had expected, after all, they had been sisters.
Roxanne smiled warmly at me, then nodded to the officer.
She put a hand around my shoulder and led me out into the freezing rain, giggling as she raced across the flooded parking lot to a battered blue suburban.
I followed silently, hurrying into the passenger seat, not amused by the freezing drops of sleet soaking into my previously warm, dry clothing.


The drive was, for the most part, quiet.
Occasionally she would glance over at me, letting out a small sigh.
She may look like my mother, but that was it.
Her voice was high and girly, and even her actions seemed too happy.
I didn't like that.

Roxanne finally spoke as we pulled into a graveled driveway, turning the key, and bringing the angry engine to silence.

"I'm afraid it's a bit of a mess, but, you know! Things have been a little crazy here, what with..." Roxanne laughed, then trailed away, not clearly specifying, as she gestured to a smallish wooden house, overgrown with layers of greenery.
It looked like a witch hut, in my opinion.
But maybe that's just normal for houses here...
Rolling my eyes, I hopped down from the tall car and rushed under the porches overhang, waiting for Roxanne to follow and let us into the house.


© 2015 BlackNightshade


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Definitely an interesting story brewing here. I really like the way you reveal the details slowly and let the character have feelings and thoughts and interactions that show us things instead of just telling us. Very well done.

The one paragraph that really feels out of place is the "It had been almost a year now since Mom and Rick had died" paragraph. Almost every part of that feels a little bit too on-the-nose and explainy instead of like the rest of the chapter, which is very very good. I'm definitely interested to see where this goes. Send me a read request when chapter 2 goes up, I want to check it out.

Posted 9 Years Ago


BlackNightshade

9 Years Ago

Thank you for the constructive critisism! It is definately helpful, this my first attempt at a story.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Tks
Nice writing! Waiting for chapter two!

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

114 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 8, 2015
Last Updated on February 8, 2015


Author

BlackNightshade
BlackNightshade

In My Head, Dreaming, Battling, Wishing, Suffering



About
"Help..." Cried the girl, She sounded so scared. But nobody came, 'Cause nobody cared. -V.G. more..

Writing