Bloody Snow

Bloody Snow

A Poem by Lovecraft
"

You try to figure it out.

"
I gazed at wondrous snow, dazzling and powdery,
Surrounded by copses of pine and cedar, hands shaking,
Bitter thoughts and a deep chill pervading my bones,
While tree's stood whispering, covered in a white haze, snow.

I could see the rivers composed of blood, amidst the flurries
Of Winter and snow.

Yet there was red pooling 'neath my standing feet, dark,
I could not comprehend, to see through the blood river,
To truly find my way out of this crimson waste, wading,
Through the eddies and whirls contained within.

The blood gathered wider than before, circling me,
Trapping me with its barrier, rising higher and higher,
Slowly.

Soon I made to swim, but it would never let me go,
Soon I knew I would drown in a river of blood, gurgling
And choking on everything, my past loves, failures.

The blurring whiteness began to swallow me whole.

© 2017 Lovecraft


Author's Note

Lovecraft
I'm finished revising this. So let me know if you can figure this poem out :P
Would appreciate reviews and feedback greatly.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Amazing... Takes me to an ethereal place of harsh biting cold, filled with frost demons and hopes frozen on a pike... Your lines remind me of blood magic, and the word choice, coupled with the easy breathed rhythm of rhyme, lends to a stark picture of a ritual gone bad... Whatever the meaning... It is penned with macabre precision...

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

Hell, I still play the original Fallout game from 1998 and Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn.
Chase Dylan

7 Years Ago

Oh hell yeah, that is amazing, lol... Great games... Gotta love gaming!
Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

Very much so. I also play the original Deus Ex with the Shifter mod.



Reviews

I guess that's one way of describing approaching death! Doom and gloom in abundance!

Posted 4 Years Ago


A beautiful scene filled with tragedy- excellent read and a beautifully dark poem

Posted 6 Years Ago


Captivating.
It pulls you in and holds you there...almost as desperate to escape as the writer...yet knowing it to be a hopeless cause. Nicely done.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Amazing... Takes me to an ethereal place of harsh biting cold, filled with frost demons and hopes frozen on a pike... Your lines remind me of blood magic, and the word choice, coupled with the easy breathed rhythm of rhyme, lends to a stark picture of a ritual gone bad... Whatever the meaning... It is penned with macabre precision...

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

Hell, I still play the original Fallout game from 1998 and Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn.
Chase Dylan

7 Years Ago

Oh hell yeah, that is amazing, lol... Great games... Gotta love gaming!
Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

Very much so. I also play the original Deus Ex with the Shifter mod.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
A very visual piece of work.

Your poem is infused with a mixture of natural and horrific imagery that combine to give the piece a dreamlike quality.
It reads to me like standing on the precipice of life and death; surrounded by beauty yet struggling to hold on to life and sanity and gradually being sucked in to the void where only the regrets and failures of the past live to torment you forever. There are many possible interpretations for this poem.

While it is unorthodox in style, you do maintain the readers attention and leave them with something to think about and attempt to decipher. A nice write.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

Thanks. I'm fond of making rather unorthodox poems as they sometimes have the effect I desire better.. read more
The imagery through this entire poem is incredible. One doesn't need the amazing picture to understand. I enjoy the flow of this. Your technique is different but it helps the Reader with stops and pauses for a better understanding. The overall message I get from this piece is your fight for life. Beautiful and violent is life. This is very entertaining. Thank you

Sheer Terror

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

I wrote this mostly through improvisation. I just had the idea and started writing it, letting it ta.. read more
I'm either gonna be spot on, or terribly off. But I'll say first that I love the imagery.

So, it's interesting how it starts off with "wondrous" describing snow. Something that's often used to resemble something being erased, or covered and made new. The corpses here are pine and cedar. I don't know much about trees, but I know that both of these last in winter. Cedar's even bloom then. Something lasting, something "eternal" has died. And the snow can't hide it. And the trees that watched, that died when winter came, whisper. Cause that's what the dead do, isn't it? Dead men do, indeed, tell tales. The mighty have fallen.
Memories, like blood, pour forth. The snow can't hide them. Nothing but death really can. We can't see past. And once we feel it, these memories, there's no real escaping. We all become consumed. And the white, that was once wondrous, finally covers.

To me this represented a massive change. An end of one life and the beginning of another. An ending that wasn't even wanted. I think when we hit those endings we get brief moments of clarity. Moments where we can look back and see all the other deaths we've endured. The white comes and the cycle repeats.

Or I'm just crazy. Either way, thank you for the thought provoking poetry!


Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

Wow, you saw the Copses/Corpses connection. Actually when I wrote this I had three or four elusive c.. read more
Nicole Laszlo

7 Years Ago

Well I'm glad! And yeah. Initially I thought it was a typo, not gonna lie. But it clicked. lol .. read more
Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

Thank you!

I've always thought of tree's in winter as being dead "Things". Like wand.. read more
The only thing I'd say is that I think the word snow is used a bit repetitively, perhaps. Other than that, I like it for sure. To me it speaks of mental illness, but I could be completely wrong.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

The repetition of using snow and winter visuals was intended. Thanks, Christina. ;)
Wow i really liked it. I think the snow comes across as you being intrigued by something or someone. However you can't move forward because you are trapped by something in your past trauma or heartbreak is my guess. ;)


Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stacey Appleby

7 Years Ago

Now i'm intrigued am i right or am i wrong?
Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

Both... ;)
Stacey Appleby

7 Years Ago

Lol the mystery continues. The poet who teases his readers haha.
I love the imagery and very well written which u already know. Somehow it makes me think he's committing suicide.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

Lol, there are so many different interpretations people have on this poem. That was my intention tho.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1220 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on January 18, 2017
Last Updated on January 19, 2017
Tags: Poem, Poetry, Winter, Snow, Death, Dark, Light, Blood

Author

Lovecraft
Lovecraft

Spencerport, NY



About
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown” - H.P. Lovecraft Scientia Potentia Est- Latin- Knowledge is Power.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Love Smoke Love Smoke

A Poem by Paul Bell