Writers Block Story 1

Writers Block Story 1

A Chapter by Erika Jones
"

This is something I created while trying to get rid of my writers' block. It's not finished and I don't know when I'll finish it, but here's what I have so far.

"
Mark was a quiet individual. Many people wanted to be friends with him, but he always turned them down or walked away without a single word. Many people always noticed he wore jeans and long sleeves all year, even in the middle of a blistering hot summer. They wondered what was going on, but no one asked because they were scared about what he might say. Others, predicted on their own what he might say. But they all lost their chance when the school board made the morning's announcements.

 

“Last night, we lost one of our dear students. Mark Vance was found dead in his home last night. According to what the family is letting us know, he hung himself from his bedroom window. Now could we all please come into a moment of silence and pray for our lost student, friend and family member.” A male voice said through the loud speaker.

 

But no one was giving a moment's silence, they were all whispering to each other.

 

Mark? Hung himself? It was absurd.

 

“Now, could Mary Higgins come to the main office please?” The male voice said once the 'moment of silence' was over.

 

Everyone in room 124 of the English 11 class turned to face her. She had gorgeous, icy blue eyes, black hair that complemented them well. She was pale, but that made her beautiful eyes spark even more. She was thin, but she could join the soccer team if she wanted to. She wore grayish skinny jeans with a band shirt for Asking Alexandria on and black cowboy boots she got from Boot Country in Sharonville, Ohio when she was in the area that complemented her outfit well. But what threw off her entire complexion, was the shocked look on her face.

 

She never got in trouble. Never had to be sent to the office for anything. A straight A student, possibly valedictorian of her class. Why did she have to go to the office?

 

“Mary, could you please go?” Her teacher, Mr. Hogsworth whispered.

 

Nodding slowly, she got up and grabbed her things. She didn't know how long she would be in the office, so she wanted to be prepared if anything was wrong.

 

Standing from her seat, she slowly walked out of the room and went straight to the main office, where she was met with both unit principals and the Principal of the high school, Tecumseh High School.

 

“Mary, I know this is strange. But, there was a note for you found in Mark's bedroom. No one but the police has read it, and they were reluctant in giving it to you.” The principal said, who's name she never remembered well.

 

“He left me … a message?” She repeated, still overtly shocked over this morning's ordeals.

 

“Yes, here you go.” He said as he handed it over.

 

Mary hesitated, but she took it in her delicate, soft hands and opened the note:


Mary Higgins,

 

I know by the time you read this, I'll be long gone. I couldn't leave this world without someone knowing why I did what I did. I just couldn't. So, in my locker 147 combination 45/13/24, there's a bunch of journals I want you to have. Don't let anyone else see them until you've read them all by your self. I'm leaving it to you to decide if everyone should know.

I know we never really talked. I wish we did. We could have been best of friends. But I'm a coward, and given with what I was dealing with, I didn't know if friendship was the best answer. Please, read the journals. I would have wanted you to have them anyway.


Sincerely,

Mark.


Mary gulped loudly by the time she was done with the note. She wanted to cry more than anything. Her and Mark, friends? It would have happened. It was all she wanted while she went to school with him. But for him to say he was a coward because he never asked … she thought it was foolish.

 

“Well Mary, what does it say?” The principal asked, all of them waiting patiently for her to say something.

 

“He, um, left me something in his locker ...” Was all she said before she shoved the note in her pocket.

 

“Alright, you do have permission to get in his locker, need his locker number and combination?” The principal asked, the unit principals sighing a little bit before they went back to their work.

 

“No, it's fine. I have it. He um, wrote it in his note.” She said, now feeling a great need to go get the journals before his locker was ransacked.

 

“Alright, I'm going to write you a pass, you don't need to go back to class if you don't feel like you can. But you must go to the rest of your classes okay?” The principal said as he went to the secretary and had her write a note out for her.

 

“Okay. And thank you.” She said, nodding slightly as she waited.

 

“Here's your pass, take care Mary.” The principal said before he went back to work himself.

 

“I will sir.” She nodded before going on her way to his locker.


 

All the way there, she wondered what would be in those journals. It must be of some value, some … purpose for him to give her those. But most of all, she felt like she would find out why he hung himself in the first place. That's what she really wanted to know.

 

And when she got to his locker in the science hallway, she bent down and sat on her knees since his locker was the bottom of the set and put in the combination. Holding her breath, she felt it didn't work, but when the locker opened, she sighed with relief and opened the door fully.

 

Inside, were nothing like journals she thought they were. There were all notebooks. More than she could fit in her bag even if she would empty it out of her stuff. Pulling the note out again, he said journals. So, she guessed every single one of these notebooks were his journals.

 

Sitting Indian style, she reached into the locker and pulled every single one of the notebooks out. It wasn't until they were all out that they were all numbered. One to thirty-two. She sighed heavily. She knew she had a lot of reading to do, so she was going to see if she could go home early.

 

She decided that she was going to fit as many notebooks as she could in her messenger bag and carry the rest. And just when she was about to close the locker, was when she noticed a black box in the back. Reaching in, she pulled it out and opened it. It was full of tapes, but no tape recorder. Thinking that it was still in the back of his locker, she reached in and felt all along the floor until her hands bumped up against what she was looking for and pulled it out. Knowing she'd probably have to listen to these too, she slid them into her bag and made sure it'd fit before she zipped it up and closed the locker, putting the notebooks in her arms before she stood up and hauled everything back to the main office.



© 2012 Erika Jones


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Intriguing ... another one that you have me wondering what shall happen next. Love the title, and the fact of the journals. I can relate to both!

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

108 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 24, 2012
Last Updated on August 1, 2012


Author

Erika Jones
Erika Jones

Medway, OH



About
I'm Erika and I'm a 25 year old Author. I've self-published a small poem book called "Screams of the Outcast" a couple years ago and slowly selling. Not only do I like poetry, I love writing novels an.. more..

Writing