Rainy Evening

Rainy Evening

A Story by shasha
"

What if someone was out there, exposed to the cold rain.

"
"But why?" The boy crossed his arm on his chest. A frown visible on his face and a pout formed on his lip. It wasn't like he going to a war or kill himself, he still has his brain to think.
He just wanted to go out of the house for a few minutes. It was a norm he kept for years.
"You had seen the weather report this morning, right? Clearly it said there it was going to rain heavily. There is no way I let you wander outside with such weather." Mrs. Brown said. She didn't leave her eyes from the magazine she held, although she aware of her son gaze on her.
"But, the weather is good. Look." Daniel pointed to the window with his finger.
There was no sunlight entered the window as the main source itself was covered with dark, black cloud. Dried leaves blew by the strong wind, causing a mess outside the house.
Daniel blinked. Did he say the weather is good?
"There is no rain. Just strong wind and also, the sun is gone, so it will be cold outside." Good or bad weather, he didn't care. As long as his mother approve, he will do anything.
A sigh was heard from the adult.
"Daniel, the rain will come. Soon. So, no. You are not allowed to go outside." She moved on to the next page, still not staring at her son.
"But, mom-"
"My answer will still be no, Daniel Brown." The mother closed her magazine, raised her head and looked at the boy. Her eyes were ice cold and there was no pleasant expression on her face.
Daniel's jaw dropped. His mother said his full name, which only mean one thing; she serious with what she said.
The boy's shoulder sank. When their debate was like this, Daniel only had one choice to choose. Lose. "Fine." He uttered before turning on his heels, heading toward his room.
Mrs. Brown shut her eyes and rested her back against the couch. Her face relaxed. Finally. Her son gave up. She glad there was no fight include as she knew how stubborn the little boy could be.
~*~

Daniel pushed the door closed and locked it. He made a beeline to his bed, throwing himself on the soft, comfortable mattress.

He took his pillow and pressed his cheek on it. His eyes were dull. His energy was drained from the debate and the fact he couldn't make it that day caused a hole in his heart. It like something was missing from his day.

The habit to go outside in the evening was taught by his father.

Never did he missed a day to do it. Even if it's raining or storm, at least he will have a few minutes outside, just to observe the surrounding and prayed for his father.

And today should be no exception. Yes, the weather was bad, he realized, but the least his mother could do was letting him pray for his father.

Daniel blinked when he heard something. He sharpen his ears and heard the rain was pelting on the roof. He shifted his eyes to the window beside his bed.

The droplets of water splashed on it, creating steam on the surface of the window. Daniel squinted his eyes, expecting to see how the outside was, only to find nothing. The steam blocked his sight from doing so.

The boy sat on his bed and crawled to the window. He placed his left hand on the frame while his other hand wiped the surface. It felt cold under his palm as he moved his hand, clearing the steam.

After he finished it, he put both of his hands on the frame. He got closer to the window until his nose touched it and narrowed his eyes. All he could see was the black shape of the tree and aside from it, everything else was dark.

Daniel observed a little more. He widen his eyes when he caught something. Was that a kid beneath the tree? The boy pressed his face against the window. The small figure was hugging his knees, forming a ball.
What a kid doing outside at this state of weather? He or she could get a cold.
Daniel rushed to his closet and choose the first hood he saw. He slipped into it and went to the door.
He twisted the handle, however, then he halted. His mother told him not to go outside.
But, the kid was under the tree, showered by the rain. He or she could pass out due to the coldness.
Daniel bite his lower lip. He pushed the door opened and bend his body, letting only his head out from the door frame. He swiveled his eyes around, inspecting the place.
A relief sigh escaped his mouth. His mother was not there. He pushed the door closed.
He turned around and ran to the main door, passing the empty living room. He put on his boots and picked two umbrellas with him. One for himself and one for the kid.
He glanced behind him one last time. He didn't see his mother figure.
Daniel tiptoed to the door and pushed the door opened. The strong wind greeted him as soon as he got his way out of the house.
He gulped. The rain was pouring down and it was no way it will stop any soon. He took a deep breath before closing the door.
~*~

The boy's grip on his umbrella tighten as he stepped closer to the big tree. He figured out the kid was a girl. Daniel could see her long hair glued on her back. From his observation, the girl didn't change her previous position.

He stopped two feet in front of her, covering her whole body with his umbrella. She didn't realize his action and for that, he thanked her. He didn't know what to do. Should he say something? He couldn't just give the umbrella and ran away.

"Who are you?" Daniel's shoulder jolted when a small voice approached him. He hung his head down.

A pair of hazelnut eyes stared at him with confusion in them. Her face was pale, as if there was no blood reached it.

The boy's eyes soften. She must be cold. He crouched down, matching his height with the girl. Her eyes were bigger when he looked at her from close.

A smile displayed on the boy's face. "Here," He stretched his arm, showing an umbrella in his hand. "You might catch a cold if you sit under the rain longer than this."

The girl darted her eyes on the umbrella and Daniel before shifting her eyes to the damp ground. Scarlet made its way on the girl's pale cheek, giving some life to her face.

"Don't be shy," Daniel tried again, pushing his hand closer toward the girl. He still kept the smile on his face.

When she didn't do anything, Daniel took the opportunity to observe her face. She didn't look like someone who live nearby. Maybe she lives on the north side, but he never sees her at school before. Then, he must be new.

He felt a cold hand landed beside his. Daniel looked down, where the girl grabbed on the umbrella. Daniel let out a smile before he let it go.

The boy stood and moved back a little, giving some space for the girl to open the umbrella.

When he done, a satisfied smile pasted in his face as he turned around, ready to go home.

"Thank you." The girl said, causing Daniel to face her again.

The girl lip turned upward, showing her two dimples on her cheeks. Daniel found himself astonished before he nodded, smiling back to the girl.

Even if he couldn't have his wish, at least he helped someone. It was the same feeling he got when he prayed for his father. His heart would relax and he knew his father was smiling up there.

He swiveled around and moved his feet, going straight to his home. He didn't know the girl, but he knew he did something good. He made the girl happy. He made someone smile.

~*~
 




© 2015 shasha


Author's Note

shasha
every comment is welcome. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

118 Views
Added on March 18, 2015
Last Updated on March 19, 2015

Author

shasha
shasha

Writing
Can't go on Can't go on

A Story by shasha


As a princess As a princess

A Poem by shasha