Olympic Wrestling

Olympic Wrestling

A Chapter by Jordan Avechuco

          The origins of wrestling go back 15,000 years through cave drawings in France. Wrestling has been a core sport of the Olympics since the 8th century BC, but recently has been petitioned to be removed to make way for rugby and golf. This is a mistake, wrestling should not be removed from the olympics because it is one of the original olympic sports, it is the one sport that requires 100% of your physical body and mind, and neither rugby nor golf require the dedication this sport demands.

          Wrestling has been a sport in the olymics since it's inception in 776 BC,(Olympic Games), the general tendency is to keep certain things, legendary things, as original as possible. For example, if someone owns a 19641/2 Ford Mustang and is planning to restore it they are not going to put a 1967 Chevy small block in it, they are going to keep the Ford 289 engine and restore accordingly. The Olympics is the Mustang and wrestling is the 289 Ford engine, therefore wrestling must be kept in the Olympics. Statistics show that popularity in wrestling has increased by more than 40,000 individuals willing to dedicate their bodies and minds to the sport, that makes more than 270,000 wrestlers including 8,200 women,(Go To The Mat), on the high school level alone, but there is no doubt that participation has increased on all levels. As well as being an original Olympic sport wrestling is one of the most demanding sports in the world.

          There are many things that require mental and physical toughness, but none more than wrestling. As a wrestler one is required to sacrifice their body to acheive greatness, whether it be cutting weight, competing with broken bones, large cuts, or whatever may try to come between one and success. "All wrestlers have experienced pain at various levels, mentally and physically. Often they are tied together. Wrestlers must deal with countless injuries, ranging from twisted fingers to broken noses, from damaged knees to separated shoulders. No athlete who has been in the sport for long will escape an injury of some type." (Wrestler Combine Physical) However, despite this truth wrestling is a great way for an individual to get in shape and keep healthy, "Wrestling... ...offers great caloric expenditure. Only 15 minutes of wrestling burns a whopping 150 calories, making this a great option for a high-return workout when you are pressed for time." (Benefits of Wrestling)

          Though everything requires dedication there is not a sport that demands it as much as wrestling, rugby and golf are great games, but alas thats all they are games. The dedication it takes to golf is none at all, anyone can hit a ball with a stick and be successful all it takes is patience, as for rugby, though it is an increidbly tough sport and does require a certain amount of dedication to your team it still does not amount to wrestling. Dedication in wrestling is dedication to the sport itself as well as your body and mind, this sport requires 100% of yourself and yourself only, no relying on someone to back you up or take control when you've lost it, it's all on you.

          The above statements provide arguments for keeping wrestling as a core sport in the Olympics, originality, metal and physical toughness, and dedication, this sport has it all. Themat.com is selling shirts and accepting donations to raise money to support this cause, so are many others. 15,000 years is along time, lets keep this sport alive.


Websites Used:

http://articles.courant.com/2013-02-28/news/hc-ed-wrestling-olympics-20130228_1_rugby-and-golf-wrestlers-sport

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrestling

http://www.humankinetics.com/excerpts/excerpts/wrestler-combine-physical-and-mental-toughness-for-optimal-perfromance

http://ezinearticles.com/?Benefits-of-Wrestling-on-Long-Term-Health&id=3660878
 



© 2013 Jordan Avechuco


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Way to spread the word on this matter. I am hopeful that the decision about 2020 will be overturned. I think that wrestling just wasn't represented in the commity because no one really thought that out of all of the cuts it even be considered. But now if people know about this there is no way!!
Have you seen the petitions to rally for Olympic Wrestling? . I can send you the links to the one I found. And send me any petition you see too please. Thanks!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Way to spread the word on this matter. I am hopeful that the decision about 2020 will be overturned. I think that wrestling just wasn't represented in the commity because no one really thought that out of all of the cuts it even be considered. But now if people know about this there is no way!!
Have you seen the petitions to rally for Olympic Wrestling? . I can send you the links to the one I found. And send me any petition you see too please. Thanks!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

431 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 4, 2013
Last Updated on March 4, 2013


Author

Jordan Avechuco
Jordan Avechuco

Mesa, AZ



About
It would seem I'm just along for the ride. more..

Writing
Heat Heat

A Poem by Jordan Avechuco