PROTECTION

PROTECTION

A Story by A Boy In The World

They dragged him through the dry cracked dirt of the street, the flesh around his ankles, where the rope was tied, bled from open and torn sores. The man was naked, caked with filth and grime, deep purple bruises from where they had beaten him were scattered across his swollen, bloody, body.


People were coming out of the buildings and lining up to watch. They jeered, spat, and flung garbage at him - hatred burning in their eyes. A small child, no older than six or seven, escaped his mother's clutches, ran up to him, and kicked him in the head. The crowd cheered and applauded the boy as they joined in and stomped at the man wherever they could.


The mob was stirring into a frenzy of fists, spit, and rage; they were yelling and screaming...


LIAR! DECEIVER! FOOL FOOL FOOL!


LIAR! DECEIVER! FOOL FOOL FOOL!


They dragged him to a pole, wrapped barbwire around his wrists and strung his arms up over his head, hoisting him to his feet so the tips of his toes just barely touched the ground. Blood poured down the mans arms as his weight settled; hanging there like a rag doll in the wind, he lurched back and forth as stones thrown from the crowd pushed him around and left bloody gouges in his flesh.


LIAR! DECEIVER! FOOL FOOL FOOL!


LIAR! DECEIVER! FOOL FOOL FOOL!


A shadow fell over the man as a tall ugly brute walked up and stood in front of him. The brute slugged him in the gut, grabbed him by his hair and cracked his forehead into the mans face, bones crunched and blood sprayed everywhere, turning the mans features into a red pulpy mess. Reaching behind him, the brute pulled out an old, worn shotgun, and pushed the barrel of cold steel into the mans mouth, breaking teeth along the way.


The tall ugly brute stepped in close, brought himself face to face with the man, shoved the gun further down into his mouth, and whispered, “We gave you everything, you had it all, and yet you still pissed it away. You are a Liar, a deceiver, and a fool! Your betrayal and your stupidity will cost you your life.”


The brute took a sidestep back, spat in the mans eyes...and pulled the trigger.


He awoke with the sound of a gunshot ringing in his ears. It was dark, clean sheets and a warm thick blanket covered him, the air was cold, yet fresh and invigorating. He could feel the heat of her, his love, lying beside him, her breathing was calm and measured, moonlight spilled onto her face from the window above. How beautiful, calm, and perfect she was.


He reached out to her, slid her hair back from her face and tucked it behind her ear. Wrapping his arms around her he brought her in close to him. The scent of her washed over him as he breathed her in, the comfort of her next to him chasing the memory of the nightmare away.


I love you,” he whispered, “I am so thankful to have you here.”


The night quickly closed back in and sleep took him again, only this time, with his love so close to him, he was protected from the demons in the dark.

© 2013 A Boy In The World


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

86 Views
Added on April 8, 2013
Last Updated on April 8, 2013

Author

A Boy In The World
A Boy In The World

Canada



About
I AM A CANADIAN. I WAS BORN AND RAISED ON THE PRAIRIES OF MANITOBA, WHERE I AM CURRENTLY STILL LIVING. YES...ITS COLD HERE IN THE WINTER. I am a cook. I have been in the professional culinary field.. more..

Writing