Adventures of a Baked Man: Thomas Baines

Adventures of a Baked Man: Thomas Baines

A Story by BrandonDawson
"

Just a fun adventure that I went on with my friends. We are college students that just enjoy to have fun and go to different areas in our spare time.

"

*some behind the scenes information*

  • Grahamstown is a small student town in South Africa.
  • Rhodes University is in Grahamstown.
  • I go to Rhodes University.
  • My friends and I drink a lot, and have no concept of organisation or ‘planning’.

*end of behind the scenes information*

It’s another day in Grahamstown, a town literally so small that all of its main attractions can be found on one street. A town where not much happens, but a lot happens �" if you know what I mean. Basically, there isn’t  much to do in the town, but there is always something happening. This one Saturday in particular, was the day I was having my 20th birthday braai.

If I am honest, I never really planned on having a braai, until my friend Sarah (whose birthday is a few days before mine) asked me if I would be interested in having a joint birthday with her. Of course I said yes, since I have limited friends, it is always good to have a few extras to liven up the place. So we planned a braai for Saturday the 25th of October. We kept it relatively small, with the both of us only inviting a few close friends each, invites only, BYOB �" you know the works.

***

Friday night arrives, and as you can imagine, I am torn between going out for a few beers at the Rat & Parrot or my good friend, Friar Tucks (the two main pubs/clubs in Grahamstown) or whether I should stay in have some pizza and snuggle up to my babe, Mary Jane. As a growing lad I have my needs, so it was option two for me.

Waking up as fresh as ever on Saturday morning, one of the firsts without a hangover and a few demons lurking around from the night before, I realised that I don’t really enjoy waking up without regrets #livingOnTheEdge. Anyways, so it’s about 10.30, we are supposed to be at the braai within an hour to set up and all those good things, and I have heard nothing from anybody �" not even Sarah.

Stress
Panic
Contemplate cancelling party
Contemplate getting horribly drunk there and then
*receives message* �" Assumes all is well.

All I am going to say is, as calm as that Friday night was for me, I can’t say the same for the others. Apparently it was a “hectic” evening out on the town. Sarah unfortunately, not being the best with hangovers, came in with too much heat and needed some time to cool down.

‘Party for one please.’

After well over an hour, we managed to fetch all the necessary things and leave Grahamstown to go to Thomas Baines. As we got there, it wasn’t long before other people started arriving, as did the heat.

A standard braai day at the dam would usually consist of; swimming in the dam, braaing, swimming in the dam some more, and chilling out.

My day, however, consisted of; drinking crackling, drinking crackling, Mary Jane, drinking punch, dancing, shouting, down downs of crackling & punch, *memory fades*…

Yes, I don’t remember much of this day, which sort of makes me explaining it all kind of pointless. Luckily, my friends don’t enjoy letting me forget about the things I do while intoxicated.

Dancing
Crying
Sleeping in clubs
Sleeping on random people’s shoulders in clubs
Drunk texting
Drunk calling
More drunk calling
Mary Jane
Pass out

And then you wake up on a Sunday morning, the trees are shining, the birds are singing, and I feel as though someone has reversed on my head at least 17 times

As you can see, it was a good day to be out of Grahamstown.

© 2015 BrandonDawson


Author's Note

BrandonDawson
Ya so this is just one of the stories of an adventure that I wrote, will write more in the near future.
If you liked this, check my blog (which I am trying to start properly - so bare with me, its new) https://bakersdozensite.wordpress.com

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
Added on October 28, 2015
Last Updated on October 28, 2015
Tags: College, fun, party, drinking, friends, memories, nature, adventures

Author

BrandonDawson
BrandonDawson

Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa



About
A student currently studying, Journalism at Rhodes University in South Africa. Keen writer of stories, short stories, plays and informative journals, etc. Trying to get experience in the field of wr.. more..

Writing
The box. The box.

A Story by BrandonDawson