Internal Strife

Internal Strife

A Chapter by B. A. May
"

Brim gains the skills of her new job, however the darkness tugs at her from the inside. Will her desire for good win or the evil of her sister within?

"
Years passed since I found my new family. I had been welcomed as an irreplaceable sister, trusted student, and beloved aunt. Lilly remained dormant inside me. Her presence weakened every year and I began suspecting she was slowly dying. I had neither seen hide nor tail of my brothers. Anyone who was part of our world hadn’t heard of them. Moon had been to numerous gatherings of the gods and they hadn’t made themselves known once. I was beginning to lose hope i would ever see them again.
Not that I deserved to. Everything that happened with Lilly, with Annabelle was avoidable. If I cared to see the corruption that was spreading across Lilly’s pure soul, if I had not brushed off her strange demeanor then nothing would have happened. We would still be sitting around the dinner table every night, laughing and enjoying each other’s company. The regret of my naivety still haunted my every waking moment. Every smile that Faolan brought, every kind deed Kyo preformed for me, every moment of unconditional acceptance Moon showed was like a dagger to my heart. It felt like I was just bringing danger to them, with only selfish interest.

“Bri, Bri, Bri!” Faolan came charging through my door, barreling into my bed where I lay. When I first met him he was a child, but now he is growing into a young man.
“Time sure flies.” I muttered groggily, trying to pull myself from the cruel crutches of my tormented mind.
“What?” He asked quizzically and I shrugged him off.
“What did you come running in here for?” I asked with a slight smile.
“Oh, yeah. Mum is leaving soon. She wants you to go say bye.”
“Already? Yeah, I’ll be out. Just let me get dressed.” I shooed the boy away and closed the door behind him.
It took me a few minutes to pull off my pajamas and pull on a pair of shorts and a tank top. As I was crossing the room I caught sight of my wings in the mirror. Since that day, they have never been the same. It makes me sad to see, but at the same time they were my burden to bear, evidence of what I let happen.
“Bri!” Moon’s voice rang from outside.
I ran from my room and hopped over the railing downstairs, then headed outside where they waited. Kyo had already gone off on a mission. He gave me his title as head of the faction and gained a new title himself. One that leaves him gone most of the time. Now, it feels like it is just us three.
“I’m sorry to do this again, thank you for keeping an eye on him.” Moon said while ruffling his blond hair.
“No problem, Nuna I like spending time with him. Besides, if i’m not here who will save him from himself?
“Hey, it’s not that bad.” He whined swatting away his mothers hand.
“So you’ll be fine if I left too?” I teased.
“What, no. Wait, you want to leave lil ol’ me by myself?” He asked in feigned shock, batting his lashes.
“Son, you make everyone want to run away from you.”
“So cruel, I thought you loved me.” He chirped.
Laughing, three of us hugged goodbye before watching her leave. Once moon was gone I headed inside.
“Did you eat yet?” I asked Faolan as he followed me, changing forms.
“No. Do you have any mice?” He asked landing on my shoulder.
“Ew, no. Just give me a minute, I’ll make real food.”
I worked quickly and quietly on breakfast trying not to tempt him into seeking rodent cuisine. Once it was finished I set it on the table and grabbed myself a plate. Faolan quickly gulped up his portion barely leaving a moment to breath, then flew off into another room leaving me to my thoughts. Images of the nightmare I had before Faolan woke me flashed through my mind. Annabelle’s cold, blood covered body laying on the ground, the feeling of her weakening soul in my hands. The sorrow and helplessness.

“Bri!” Faolan shouted from the other room snapping my attention back to the present.
“What do you want, Sunshine?” I shouted and got up to go to him.
“Are you going to work today?” He looked up when he saw me walk through the door.
“Probably if I have to.”
“Can I come?” He gazed intensely in gleeful anticipation.
“Remember what happened last time?” I chided.
“I died...But you brought me back! I can never die for real with you for an aunty.”
“I swear you will get me in trouble one day, kid. It’s against rules to save someone for personal reasons.”
“Why haven’t you been punished then?” He asked slyly.
“Death and I are friends, he understands, but he has a line too so we will not cross it.”
“Aww, but come on.” He begged.
“No, cut it out and go do something else.”
“Like what?”
“I don’t know, play with your pets?”
“I do that every day, let me come.”
“I said no, now stop asking. You will figure out something to do, you are a smart kid.”
“Am I?” He challenged.
I flicked him lightly over the head with my tail.
“Don’t talk like that. You are a dork, sure, but you are smart.”
“Whatever you say, auntie.” He hopped off my shoulder and flew into another room.
“I swear, that kid.” I sighed and rubbed my temples when my pocket warmed up.
I pulled a glowing scroll from it, opening it to see a short list of names displayed over the parchment.
“Sunshine, I have to go to work, car accident nearby. No one made it.” I shouted rolling it back up.
Flicking my wrist, a vortex opened in the air before me, I reached through it and pulled out a black cloak, a satchel, and scythe.
Quickly, i slipped on the cloak and wrapped the bag around my waist, scythe firmly in hand before exiting the house. The destination was not far away. I took to the air and flew low, keeping an eye on the sight of the five dying souls miles away. It didn’t take long to reach the flipped over minivan. The tail-end on fire and the bodies nowhere in sight. My stomach dropped seeing the metal and blood streaking the road and quickly plucked the souls that began to float away one by one from the air. I stuck them in my satchel and turned to leave when I noticed not far away, broken branches in a bush. Upon further inspection I saw there was a small child, bent in impossible angles.
Recoiling at the sight, I turned and managed to empty my breakfast on the concrete. After wiping my soiled mouth with my sleeve I hurriedly rummaged through the pouch and found the young soul. Bright, pure, not old enough to have had a chance of becoming its own person. Normally, these untouched souls would end up in purgatory where they must wait indefinitely to be reincarnated. Purgatory is a hell of sorts, and my gut twisted at the thought of this poor child sitting alone for millennia.
“I offer a contract.” I whispered into the orb. “Work for me and have freedom to roam. Complete the contract and be reborn.”
The orb flickered.
“Keep my nephew company, make sure he stays out of trouble.”
The orb blinked once more and set off.
I kept my eyes on the soul as it flicked and floated its way toward Faolan. Satisfied he was not alone, I flew up and headed off with no destination in mind. I was once again plagued by my thoughts from the past. My heart churning as i envisioned the scenes over and over.
“Forget about it already.” I snipped aloud, annoyed with myself for being unable to let go of the images that haunted me.
The feeling of loneliness began to wash over me and I decided to head back home when from the corner of my eye i caught a glimmer of something that sent my whole body into shockwaves.
Almost as soon as I saw it, it disappeared and rather than home, my wings dragged me in a different direction.
“Was that real? Was it him?”
“It can’t be, not after all this time.”
“Don’t get too excited, you will set yourself up for disappointment again.”
My mind was in a crazed frenzy and i desperately flew faster, faster, chasing the phantom sight of what i believed was my older brother.
Another flicker to my left and I sharply turned chasing it.
“Come on, come on, I see you.” I clenched my teeth pushing myself further.
Not to far away a figure came into view. Stooped over, conversing with a small child.
“Andy? Andy!” I screamed crashing to the ground realizing I was in mortal territory and stormed toward him, pumping my legs so hard they screamed in agony. When I neared enough, my heart sank. It wasn’t him.
Torn apart, I stared at the two, until they walked away in discomfort by my presence.
“I’m deluding myself.” my thoughts bounced around bitterly.
“Why would he be here, of course he isn’t.”
I could not move my body from its spot.
“Why was I so sure it was him. His soul, it looked like his soul. Do i even remember what it looks like anymore?”
Pained tears trickled down my cheeks.
“I wish You were here, Andy.”
As the words left my lips, my body was filled with a peaceful warmth. The feeling was familiar, comfortable. My entire being was wrapped in this feeling, lifting some of the sorrow.
“Andy?” I gasped, searching around before reaching out.
“Are you here? I can’t see you.” A sob ripped from my throat.
“Is that you? Please answer me.”
“Why can’t I see you. I miss you, I miss Nicci. Please, where are you? Andy I need you.’
The warm feeling began to lift.
“Don’t go! Please! Please come back! Andy!”
“Why won’t you answer me? Why won’t you come for me? Don’t go!”
Almost as soon as it came, the warmth disappeared and once again I felt alone. Dropping to my knees I let out a mournful cry, my intestines feeling like they were being ripped apart, my entire world felt like it was crumbling. I couldn’t breath. Then it came. Deep within, a familiar feeling was stirred, feeding off the turbulent emotions inside me, awakening.
“Lilly.”


© 2020 B. A. May


Author's Note

B. A. May
Sorry for the grammar, how is it so far?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

95 Views
Added on March 7, 2020
Last Updated on March 9, 2020
Tags: Demons, werewolves, reaper, scythe, funny, good, evil, neutrality, souls