COUP

COUP

A Story by Hawksmoor

The thrust of a hand, the turn of a wrist, and the creak of a lithe neck, and the pair of them are ready.

“I’m in my business suit,” the somewhat obese woman in the plain orange jumpsuit says. “It looks like a prison jumpsuit, which means that my work will be done on two levels tonight. Defense and prevention.”

She smiles in a way that would make it plainly obvious to any watcher, were anyone watching, that she’s in this game purely for the kicks and giggles.

“You should be sued,” says the middle-aged man who is covered head-to-toe in what looks like tin foil. A film of Saran Wrap that has been spray-painted black covers his face, from the nose up. “You stole that line from a Justice League Unlimited episode. The last episode, I think.” Beneath the tin foil suit and the Saran Wrap mask, the man smirks and shrugs his shoulders.

His companion, she of the prison jumpsuit, nods and smiles across the gulf of black space between the roof they stand upon and the roof of the building fifty feet ahead of them. Her teeth are strangely, vividly immaculate in the dark intensity of the night.

“Jump,” she says.

They jump, and the night is made better by the bright optimism of two idiots in homemade superhero costumes.

 

© 2009 Hawksmoor


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I see I'm not the only one celebrating my inner geek! Okay not so much inner geek as my dominant personality, but anyway, I enjoyed this.

Posted 15 Years Ago


That was just plain silly.
And kind of lacking in terms of action.
But it was still a nice, short piece that put a smile on my face.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Well, I don't know what to say about this other than the fact that things aren't always what they seem. as we all know, of course, there is no such thing as tin foil. There are however, people this crazy and you have done a great job with this portrayal.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I liked this; if I was to be picky I could say one or two bits need a slight change to improve the flow but, like I say, that's being picky. It's an entertaining little piece with a superb final sentence.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

99 Views
4 Reviews
Added on February 19, 2009
Last Updated on February 20, 2009

Author

Hawksmoor
Hawksmoor

About
BRILLIANT! Hawksmoor...From The Bleed. more..

Writing
CAST LOTS CAST LOTS

A Story by Hawksmoor


YEAHBUTWHAT? YEAHBUTWHAT?

A Story by Hawksmoor