If the Seas Catch Fire...

If the Seas Catch Fire...

A Story by BeatricePortinari.
"

Some words. Some love. Quite a bit of pain. Please enjoy.

"

            The moon fell across the long beach, casting shadows from the tropical trees and washing the rich yellow a deep shade of gray.  The waves gently washed and licked at the beach as the moon and stars cast an infallible map of themselves across the crystalline sea.  The darkness itself, so intense and unrelenting so far from land, was broken only by the small crackles and awkward light flashed by a small wood burning fire.   

            A girl laughed, she was lying with her arm across a boy’s hip.  They were lying among bags and satchels overflowing with food and supplies, that told you the story of their arrival.  Short and terrifying, they were stranded.  Lost.  Unknown to the world, and wanting to find their careful ways back.  But they weren’t scared or angry or… No, they were in love. 

            Her nose had a small silver stud in it, her arm had a curving band of an asp around her bicep, and her long curly blonde hair spanned from her ripped white shirt to her cutoff jeans.  There was a leather watch on her ankle and a golden ring on her finger.  His hair was a shock of red and stood out from his angular face, he smiled at her like she was the sun.  Her hand contracted around his waist as he kissed behind her ear tenderly.  But, suddenly, her face was more serious.  Sure, she was young and in the kind of love they wrote fairytales for, but her thick, pale lips pursed.

            Her eyes looked directly at the moon that washed her round, gray eyes black,” That moon,” she pointed, “ Have you ever thought about it was a lantern?  As a small reminder of sanity when there is none?  Something, that no matter where you are and what is happening, it’ll always be there and it will never change, no matter how much everything else does?”  Her hands moved around each other in her lap, and once the words started flowing, she didn’t stop until she had no breath left.  “Sometimes it’s like we’re lost up there, lost in space.  Like we’re just floating around the entire time, and every once in a while we’ll get lucky and find our way to a star.  Our world will be bright for a moment or so, but then two things can happen: we can fly straight into that light and get burned, or veer off and our world will be dark too soon and too heartlessly.  But then the other times you’re just floating out there through nothingness, and a lot of the time you’re getting hit by meteorites and falling down, only to continue the path again.  Or maybe next time it’s space junk, just things abandoned by other ventures that amble rather aimlessly all their lives.  Sure, they’re tragedies in their own right, forgotten or misplaced but altogether unneeded in this ridiculous journey we’re all taking.  But then there are the planets,  the bigger lights that will eventually incinerate you or pull away, forever a slave to orbit and its pull.  And then there are the things that happen against all odds, you find your way to Earth, through the atmosphere, and you land gently.  Maybe you make it to the moon and spend the rest of your days giving hope to the others.  Or maybe, just maybe, you end up like me and you.  You end up in the middle of a supernova.  Your whole world is on fire, trees and grass and even the water is lit up in these magnificent flames.  And sure, loving someone is beautiful and amazing, but that fire�"that love�"it’s going to catch you and you will get burned.  But you wouldn’t be burned on the Earth or the moon, and I don’t know…  Sometimes it seems like you can’t win.  That every single little thing that happens is both a cause and an effect in the sense that it you are always recycling.  I love you now, and I know I will forever and if there is a forever beyond that I’ll love you then, I swear with that moon and these words as my witness, I will.  But one of us is going to die first.  Who knows, maybe we’ll never got off of this God forsaken island.  It just…  What’s the point of everything if it’s just long days of bitterness and pain and cold nights of loneliness and heartbreak stopped only by small bursts of erratic fire that will burn you after it warms your feet?   Loving you, or anyone really, is like a series of bone marrow test interspersed with irregular root canals.”

            He swallowed and grabbed her hand, her face was distraught as he propped himself up on one elbow.  “Hey, hey,” he murmured, wiping a stray tear with the back of his hand,” there are ways to put out a fire, you know?  And how much can something hurt if you’re holding my hand?”

            That elicited a smile, and he placed his lips lightly on hers.  He whispered,” We are young, we’re free, we stay up late, and we don’t sleep.  We got each other and the night, hey, we’ll be all right.”  And with that she kissed him as her qualms were massaged away by his fervent hand at her neck.

© 2010 BeatricePortinari.


Author's Note

BeatricePortinari.
Ignore grammar problems and tell me what you think, please.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is fantastic! You really know how to describe everything so beautifully, without sounding redundant. But it's as if I'm actually there. This was beautiful
You definitely have a future in writing (:

Posted 13 Years Ago


"Our world will be bright for a moment or so, but then two things can happen: we can fly straight into that light and get burned, or veer off and our world will be dark too soon and too heartlessly. "
A powerful story. I like the place you took me in the poem. I have spend many nights on the beach with friends trying to understand life. I like the description and the story in your words. It is good to know freedom and try to find a escape. A excellent story. Thank you.

Posted 13 Years Ago


very nicee, I like it a lot. Ps, the quote at the end, which I was unaware of until last week, is a songg:) and it's we run free, apparently..
But I like it

Posted 13 Years Ago


overall excellent. Couldnt pick at anything really major. The monologue hidden in the middle of the piece was nice. Overall flow was a little slow but suitable for the theme. Great Job!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Nice piece. I like how the monologue was set in the middle of this piece. Hidden at first glance. Overall nice flow and good set up.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

499 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 13, 2010
Last Updated on December 13, 2010

Author

BeatricePortinari.
BeatricePortinari.

Wasilla, AK



About
so i guess i'm just a girl. with words, lots of those and somehow it makes doing this easier. i've got great parents who don't have a hope of understanding me but won't give up trying. i love food a.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..